• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E WotC's Jeremy Crawford on D&D Races Going Forward

On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty. @ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty.

636252771691385727.jpg

@ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence debuff and the evil alignment, with a more acceptable narrative. It's a start, but there's a fair argument for gutting the entire race system.

The orcs of Eberron and Wildemount reflect where our hearts are and indicate where we’re heading.

@vorpaldicepress I hate to be "that guy", but what about Drow, Vistani, and the other troublesome races and cultures in Forgotten Realms (like the Gur, another Roma-inspired race)? Things don't change over night, but are these on the radar?

The drow, Vistani, and many other folk in the game are on our radar. The same spirit that motivated our portrayal of orcs in Eberron is animating our work on all these peoples.

@MileyMan1066 Good. These problems need to be addressed. The variant features UA could have a sequel that includes notes that could rectify some of the problems and help move 5e in a better direction.

Addressing these issues is vital to us. Eberron and Wildemount are the first of multiple books that will face these issues head on and will do so from multiple angles.

@mbriddell I'm happy to hear that you are taking a serious look at this. Do you feel that you can achieve this within the context of Forgotten Realms, given how establised that world's lore is, or would you need to establish a new setting to do this?

Thankfully, the core setting of D&D is the multiverse, with its multitude of worlds. We can tell so many different stories, with different perspectives, in each world. And when we return to a world like FR, stories can evolve. In short, even the older worlds can improve.

@SlyFlourish I could see gnolls being treated differently in other worlds, particularly when they’re a playable race. The idea that they’re spawned hyenas who fed on demon-touched rotten meat feels like they’re in a different class than drow, orcs, goblins and the like. Same with minotaurs.

Internally, we feel that the gnolls in the MM are mistyped. Given their story, they should be fiends, not humanoids. In contrast, the gnolls of Eberron are humanoids, a people with moral and cultural expansiveness.

@MikeyMan1066 I agree. Any creature with the Humanoid type should have the full capacity to be any alignmnet, i.e., they should have free will and souls. Gnolls... the way they are described, do not. Having them be minor demons would clear a lot of this up.

You just described our team's perspective exactly.

As a side-note, the term 'race' is starting to fall out of favor in tabletop RPGs (Pathfinder has "ancestry", and other games use terms like "heritage"); while he doesn't comment on that specifically, he doesn't use the word 'race' and instead refers to 'folks' and 'peoples'.

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
Granted, but they’ve been burned badly by changing too much too fast, and not that long ago. Maybe the rapidly-growing base of new players will make them bold enough to try again, but the cynic in me doubts it. Here’s hoping I’m wrong.

I hope you’re right, but color me skeptical.
They might surprise us for the 50th year Anniversary Edition :)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
There is a growing voice about how ability scores are ableist (esp the mental ones like Intelligence) and there has long been a call to change or remove stereotypical classes like barbarian, druid and monk (making them subclasses or equivalent).

I hope you’re right, but color me skeptical.

For ability scores, would something like Knowledge and Awareness for Int and Wis (as per @AlexandraErin on twitter) be the kind of change you're talking about on ability scores? Would that actually affect the game mechanically at all? So, except for the fact that all changes will annoy someone, does it have any downside to counteract the plus of avoiding IQ like things?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I'm personally all for reimagining Grimlocks as a jungle-dwelling, dinosaur-riding people. It will compete with current lore, even if it is cooler. They're like the Albino Dwarves, but cooler now!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
change or remove stereotypical classes like barbarian, druid and monk (making them subclasses or equivalent).
With how spheres and the like have worked since at least 3E (probably at least the latter half of 2E, but I wasn't very engaged with that edition), it's really hard to see a reason to have Nature clerics and druids both.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Hopefully when WOTC hires some BIPOC writers they will make some official class subclasses based of North American, South American, African, and Middle East, South, and South East Asian heroic archetypes.

This way these ideas can come in the game not draped on a monster statblock and avoid racism.
As not-great as the Vistani are, TSR never went quite as berserk as White Wolf did with Gypsy as a playable race/class in one of the most cringeworthy RPG books of all time. (White Wolf has gotten a lot of crap in recent years, but there's a long history of them with ethnic stereotypes and caricatures.)

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I will let Wotc do all the acrobatic checks they want to ensure their morality and good citizen status.

but I will continue to make voice using foreign culture to have fun.
i will also build world that have tyrant of every race I want,
some evil orc, some free will orc,
some lawful good dwarf, some free will dwarf.
I will also use reference to slavery, genocide, slaughter, war, crime, madness, corruption and redemption.

just hope I will continue to do that freely and don’t fear to loose my job or go to jail for that.
I don't think anyone is saying you can't do this, I like to keep my orcs on the monstrous side of the divide myself, it's just that the DnD team doesn't want to paint an absolutist view of these races.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
As not-great as the Vistani are, TSR never went quite as berserk as White Wolf did with Gypsy as a playable race/class in one of the most cringeworthy RPG books of all time. (White Wolf has gotten a lot of crap in recent years, but there's a long history of them with ethnic stereotypes and caricatures.)

Like I said way back in the thread, many game companies have problems with racial and ethnic stereotypes due to their hiring practices back in the 70s 80s and 90s. And it really still goes on to this day. It is not until just recently that game companies start hiring racial and ethnic minorities for in fantasy settings. And many still are slow on it.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Sorry if this has already been posted, but WotC have now published an official statement on this topic: Diversity and Dungeons & Dragons | Dungeons & Dragons

@Morrus
I just had a read of that, I actually think that for ability scores, they should have provided more choice from the beginning. I'm fine with there being a bonus for a specific ability score, but I would have like to see more races like half-elves with a +2 to a single score and a couple of floating +1 bonuses.

pukunui

Legend
I just had a read of that, I actually think that for ability scores, they should have provided more choice from the beginning. I'm fine with there being a bonus for a specific ability score, but I would have like to see more races like half-elves with a +2 to a single score and a couple of floating +1 bonuses.
Agreed. While I'd love to know what changes they've made to Tomb of Annihilation and Curse of Strahd, this is the bit that really has me excited:

Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases that come from being an elf, a dwarf, or one of D&D's many other playable folk. This option emphasizes that each person in the game is an individual with capabilities all their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads