• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E WotC's Jeremy Crawford on D&D Races Going Forward

On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty. @ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty.

636252771691385727.jpg

@ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence debuff and the evil alignment, with a more acceptable narrative. It's a start, but there's a fair argument for gutting the entire race system.

The orcs of Eberron and Wildemount reflect where our hearts are and indicate where we’re heading.

@vorpaldicepress I hate to be "that guy", but what about Drow, Vistani, and the other troublesome races and cultures in Forgotten Realms (like the Gur, another Roma-inspired race)? Things don't change over night, but are these on the radar?

The drow, Vistani, and many other folk in the game are on our radar. The same spirit that motivated our portrayal of orcs in Eberron is animating our work on all these peoples.

@MileyMan1066 Good. These problems need to be addressed. The variant features UA could have a sequel that includes notes that could rectify some of the problems and help move 5e in a better direction.

Addressing these issues is vital to us. Eberron and Wildemount are the first of multiple books that will face these issues head on and will do so from multiple angles.

@mbriddell I'm happy to hear that you are taking a serious look at this. Do you feel that you can achieve this within the context of Forgotten Realms, given how establised that world's lore is, or would you need to establish a new setting to do this?

Thankfully, the core setting of D&D is the multiverse, with its multitude of worlds. We can tell so many different stories, with different perspectives, in each world. And when we return to a world like FR, stories can evolve. In short, even the older worlds can improve.

@SlyFlourish I could see gnolls being treated differently in other worlds, particularly when they’re a playable race. The idea that they’re spawned hyenas who fed on demon-touched rotten meat feels like they’re in a different class than drow, orcs, goblins and the like. Same with minotaurs.

Internally, we feel that the gnolls in the MM are mistyped. Given their story, they should be fiends, not humanoids. In contrast, the gnolls of Eberron are humanoids, a people with moral and cultural expansiveness.

@MikeyMan1066 I agree. Any creature with the Humanoid type should have the full capacity to be any alignmnet, i.e., they should have free will and souls. Gnolls... the way they are described, do not. Having them be minor demons would clear a lot of this up.

You just described our team's perspective exactly.

As a side-note, the term 'race' is starting to fall out of favor in tabletop RPGs (Pathfinder has "ancestry", and other games use terms like "heritage"); while he doesn't comment on that specifically, he doesn't use the word 'race' and instead refers to 'folks' and 'peoples'.

pukunui

Legend
Make her an Elf or something.
Yeah, that's true.
Isn't she technically a hag anyway?

From those tweets I get the impression that Adam Lee is the consultant mentioned in the article, while Nico Teardrop is talking about their presentation before whatever changes have been made.
Yeah, I realized that after I'd posted them both. For some reason, when I first read Adam's tweet, I thought he was saying he'd worked on the Vistani when the book was first being worked on, but I now think he's saying he's the one who's pushed them to rework them after the fact.

I would hope they’d remove the inherent magic abilities (the evil eye and the Vistani curses). Of course the fortune telling is key to the plot, but I (who, again, am not Roma, so for whatever my opinion is worth) think that’s manageable. If nothing else, you could at least make her fortune telling incidental to her being Vistani.
Yeah, that would probably be a good start. It's been a while since I ran CoS, so I can't remember many specifics. I wonder if there's anything about Ezmerelda that needs changing (aside from the fact that she's yet another overpowered NPC).

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
so basically my opinion - that better awareness of cops to the problem of blacks being endangered by their partially racist, partially caused by over nervous behaviour, which could be achieved by better training and education as well as sorting out those who are racist and unredeemable - will also reduce other cases of unnecessary police brutality is crap to you?
You didn't say that in the post I was quoting. No, that's not crap, it's just incorrect. Bad cops won't stop being bad if they know that they're racist and bad. We need to get the bad cops out in order to keep them from being bad. The training doesn't work a ton of the time because the departments think that it's a joke, and don't take it seriously. The name "Black Lives Matter" isn't meant to be inclusive, it's meant to raise awareness to the fact that until recently, most people didn't think that black lives mattered as much as other races. Many people still don't believe this, which is the point of the whole movement.
What was crap about that last post was saying that their movement's name should be different. Sorry if I came off as rude in that reply, but that's how it is.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I would honestly love some more Asian inspiration in hobgoblin culture, more positive influences. The idea of a yin and yang god for instance that are opposed but "different sides of the same coin," or concepts of bushido that add give hobgoblins more of a code of honor in battle.

As others have said, hobgoblins are pretty cool. What sucks about them is the default assumption (made in both the Monster Manual and Volo's Guide) that hobgoblins are evil, and defined by an evil religion and culture.
I really want Gruumsh, and maybe some of the goblinoid gods, made into general greater gods rather than specifically gods of those races.

And honestly, they could use the idea of the dead goblin god who makes nilbogs as a starting point for a non-evil goblin trickster god.

For Hobs, I'd love to see a philosophy that de-prioritises specific gods, seeing even the gods as part of a process and machinery of the cosmos, and different hobgoblins seeing that process differently and thus acting more severe and ruthless or more careful and erudite.

Bugbears are my favorite goblinoid (and favorite "monster race", really), so I of course have an entire writeup I could do about how I'd like to see them developed, but basically lean in to "big cat" ambush predator ideas, but make the bully thing how you describe evil bugbears, and for good bugbears lean into inspiration from cheetahs as a highly social big cat, put them in trees defending nature with terrifying fury when called upon but mostly enjoying as simple and relaxed a life as possible.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I also assume, tbh, that many people will be disappointed with how far the changes go.
I certainly hope they will be because IMO if they’re not going far enough for this, they almost certainly aren’t going far enough to meaningfully address the problem. The Vistani basically need a ground-up rewrite, and there are a lot of people who are deeply attached to Ravenloft exactly as written.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yeah, that would probably be a good start. It's been a while since I ran CoS, so I can't remember many specifics. I wonder if there's anything about Ezmerelda that needs changing (aside from the fact that she's yet another overpowered NPC).
She hides her disability (lost leg replaced with a magical prosthetic) like it's shameful. Chris Perkins has already explicitly said that they're changing that.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I would honestly love some more Asian inspiration in hobgoblin culture, more positive influences. The idea of a yin and yang god for instance that are opposed but "different sides of the same coin," or concepts of bushido that add give hobgoblins more of a code of honor in battle.

As others have said, hobgoblins are pretty cool. What sucks about them is the default assumption (made in both the Monster Manual and Volo's Guide) that hobgoblins are evil, and defined by an evil religion and culture.

What if

Long ago in a distant land setting, there were 2 goblin gods. But Aku Maglubiyet, the shapeshifting war master of Darkness War, unleashed an unspeakable evil.
But a foolish samurai warrior hobgoblin wielding a magic sword holy avenger stepped forth to oppose me him.
Before the final blow was struck, Magkubiyet tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future Archeron where my his evil is law.
Now the fool seeks to return to the Past Prime Material Plane and undo the future tyranny that is Maglubiyet!

Wasn't there a Good gobliniod god that started with a K or H or something.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yeah, that's true.
Isn't she technically a hag anyway?
Not in CoS, but I think she was in 3.5’s Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. In CoS she’s related to Strahd, though as-written there’s really no way for the players to actually learn that. They could lean into that more in the revision, I suppose.

Yeah, I realized that after I'd posted them both. For some reason, when I first read Adam's tweet, I thought he was saying he'd worked on the Vistani when the book was first being worked on, but I now think he's saying he's the one who's pushed them to rework them after the fact.

They should definitely change her name, or at least make it an alias. Having the first name of one of the most famous Roma characters in all of fiction (who was secretly a white girl abducted as a baby in the story she’s from) and a last name that’s French for “Of the Future” is pretty dumb.

EDIT: This is probably beyond the scope of the revisions they’re making to CoS, but I’d love to see a total overhaul of the names in CoS. A lot of them are linguistically nonsensical pseudo-slavic, and it’d be really cool to see them revised to actually follow Slavic naming conventions.

Last edited:

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
What if

Long ago in a distant land setting, there were 2 goblin gods. But Aku Maglubiyet, the shapeshifting war master of Darkness War, unleashed an unspeakable evil.
But a foolish samurai warrior hobgoblin wielding a magic sword holy avenger stepped forth to oppose me him.
Before the final blow was struck, Magkubiyet tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future Archeron where my his evil is law.
Now the fool seeks to return to the Past Prime Material Plane and undo the future tyranny that is Maglubiyet!

Wasn't there a Good gobliniod god that started with a K or H or something.

A Samurai Jack with Hobgoblins would be a dope campaign honestly. Overthrow Maglubiyet to free your people? Count me in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads