D&D 5E WotC's Jeremy Crawford on D&D Races Going Forward

On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty. @ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty.

636252771691385727.jpg

@ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence debuff and the evil alignment, with a more acceptable narrative. It's a start, but there's a fair argument for gutting the entire race system.

The orcs of Eberron and Wildemount reflect where our hearts are and indicate where we’re heading.

@vorpaldicepress I hate to be "that guy", but what about Drow, Vistani, and the other troublesome races and cultures in Forgotten Realms (like the Gur, another Roma-inspired race)? Things don't change over night, but are these on the radar?

The drow, Vistani, and many other folk in the game are on our radar. The same spirit that motivated our portrayal of orcs in Eberron is animating our work on all these peoples.

@MileyMan1066 Good. These problems need to be addressed. The variant features UA could have a sequel that includes notes that could rectify some of the problems and help move 5e in a better direction.

Addressing these issues is vital to us. Eberron and Wildemount are the first of multiple books that will face these issues head on and will do so from multiple angles.

@mbriddell I'm happy to hear that you are taking a serious look at this. Do you feel that you can achieve this within the context of Forgotten Realms, given how establised that world's lore is, or would you need to establish a new setting to do this?

Thankfully, the core setting of D&D is the multiverse, with its multitude of worlds. We can tell so many different stories, with different perspectives, in each world. And when we return to a world like FR, stories can evolve. In short, even the older worlds can improve.

@SlyFlourish I could see gnolls being treated differently in other worlds, particularly when they’re a playable race. The idea that they’re spawned hyenas who fed on demon-touched rotten meat feels like they’re in a different class than drow, orcs, goblins and the like. Same with minotaurs.

Internally, we feel that the gnolls in the MM are mistyped. Given their story, they should be fiends, not humanoids. In contrast, the gnolls of Eberron are humanoids, a people with moral and cultural expansiveness.

@MikeyMan1066 I agree. Any creature with the Humanoid type should have the full capacity to be any alignmnet, i.e., they should have free will and souls. Gnolls... the way they are described, do not. Having them be minor demons would clear a lot of this up.

You just described our team's perspective exactly.

As a side-note, the term 'race' is starting to fall out of favor in tabletop RPGs (Pathfinder has "ancestry", and other games use terms like "heritage"); while he doesn't comment on that specifically, he doesn't use the word 'race' and instead refers to 'folks' and 'peoples'.

Even by the standards of the time, the Romans were outstandingly evil in terms of mass slaughter, mass slavery, violent conquest, and so on. I did an archaeology and ancient history degree, so I'm not a random civilian here, note. Nobody was lovely, sure, but they stood out from the crowd, even back then.

And yet the Pax Romana was the best time to be alive - healthiest, most prosperous, least violent - that Europe and the Meditarrean would see for over a thousand years. If you could be random Gaul in 200 BC, or a random Gaul in 200 AD, you'd have to be a fool to choose the former. Of course being a Gaul in 50 BC would be very bad indeed. Our modern sensibilities recoil at the horrors of conquest, while the horrors of chaos and incessant low-level warfare don't have the same prominence in our stories, and are much further removed from our experience. History is complicated that way.

Hoffmand

Explorer
Given the historical depiction of hobgoblins over the course of D&D (which has varied a lot), it was obvious the earliest depictions were drawn from samurai.

So I don't have an issue with the armor because to me it's just generic not western pseudo-medieval European plate armor. There are only so many ways to depict that. But layer on the top knot in addition to the armor and it does become a rough depiction of a monstrous samurai.

D&D has to rely on tropes. Otherwise we wouldn't have monks or barbarians or ... well much of anything other than monsters based on cheap plastic minis that were knock-offs of some cartoon.

On the other hand it personally bothers me more that they have no helmet. I mean, seriously? All that armor and they leave the head totally uncovered? At least they didn't try to draw them as vikings with horns on the helmets that no self respecting viking ever had. :p

P.S. Again ... how many depictions of "non monstrous" humanoids do we have that are in heavy armor? I didn't do a thorough search but all I found was the human and the dwarf.
They don’t use helmets as often as they should in movies either. It helps to see the face and head in stories to relate to characters better. Art has to take liberties at times.

FWIW, I went back and reread the hobgoblin entry. I see some associations with the Roman empire with a reference to legions but I don't see a hint of eastern culture.

As far as armor, it appears to be metal and doesn't appear to be laminated. Kind of looks like this guy to me, with a "viking" sword instead of a spatha of course.
View attachment 122973
Iron Shadow. Read.
The lore can equally apply to Eastern cultures. You really need to expand your reading. Excuses are not good.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
First time I have heard Japanese culture influenced the D&D hobgoblin. I'm not doubting it, I'm just wondering what else I have been missing. :oops:

Honestly have no idea if they do have cultural influences, but earlier in this thread I pointed out that 5E art has hobgoblin armor and hairstyle remarkable similar to Japanese samurai. It's a great design, but also has some racist connotations when you consider they're the only Japanese influence I see in D&D and hobgoblins are unambiguously evil in FR.

Sadras

Legend
Orcs are not hanging onto evil. Or their lore. No one is saying change their aspects and not change their alignment. That is stupid. And an unfit argument.
Others would get offended because they would claim it would be racist.
Why hang onto their lore. If that lore is problematic for all.

I was quite specific that I was referring to the hobgoblin issue. You replied to my post. I have not thought of a solution for the orc issue as I'm still trying to understand that particular issue.

Sadras

Legend
Honestly have no idea if they do have cultural influences, but earlier in this thread I pointed out that 5E art has hobgoblin armor and hairstyle remarkable similar to Japanese samurai. It's a great design, but also has some racist connotations when you consider they're the only Japanese influence I see in D&D and hobgoblins are unambiguously evil in FR.

Sorry I missed your earlier post, tough to keep track, I have been sporadic, but yeah if you check out my later posts on this, I totally agree hence I proposed a solution. It may work or not. (y)

Already people are blushing that aside. And claiming prominent other cultural influences.

I was quite specific that I was referring to the hobgoblin issue. You replied to my post. I have not thought of a solution for the orc issue as I'm still trying to understand that particular issue.
Get back after the orc issue then. Understand that first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads