D&D 5E WotC's Jeremy Crawford on D&D Races Going Forward

On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty. @ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence...
Status
Not open for further replies.
On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty.

636252771691385727.jpg

@ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence debuff and the evil alignment, with a more acceptable narrative. It's a start, but there's a fair argument for gutting the entire race system.

The orcs of Eberron and Wildemount reflect where our hearts are and indicate where we’re heading.

@vorpaldicepress I hate to be "that guy", but what about Drow, Vistani, and the other troublesome races and cultures in Forgotten Realms (like the Gur, another Roma-inspired race)? Things don't change over night, but are these on the radar?

The drow, Vistani, and many other folk in the game are on our radar. The same spirit that motivated our portrayal of orcs in Eberron is animating our work on all these peoples.

@MileyMan1066 Good. These problems need to be addressed. The variant features UA could have a sequel that includes notes that could rectify some of the problems and help move 5e in a better direction.

Addressing these issues is vital to us. Eberron and Wildemount are the first of multiple books that will face these issues head on and will do so from multiple angles.

@mbriddell I'm happy to hear that you are taking a serious look at this. Do you feel that you can achieve this within the context of Forgotten Realms, given how establised that world's lore is, or would you need to establish a new setting to do this?

Thankfully, the core setting of D&D is the multiverse, with its multitude of worlds. We can tell so many different stories, with different perspectives, in each world. And when we return to a world like FR, stories can evolve. In short, even the older worlds can improve.

@SlyFlourish I could see gnolls being treated differently in other worlds, particularly when they’re a playable race. The idea that they’re spawned hyenas who fed on demon-touched rotten meat feels like they’re in a different class than drow, orcs, goblins and the like. Same with minotaurs.

Internally, we feel that the gnolls in the MM are mistyped. Given their story, they should be fiends, not humanoids. In contrast, the gnolls of Eberron are humanoids, a people with moral and cultural expansiveness.

@MikeyMan1066 I agree. Any creature with the Humanoid type should have the full capacity to be any alignmnet, i.e., they should have free will and souls. Gnolls... the way they are described, do not. Having them be minor demons would clear a lot of this up.

You just described our team's perspective exactly.

As a side-note, the term 'race' is starting to fall out of favor in tabletop RPGs (Pathfinder has "ancestry", and other games use terms like "heritage"); while he doesn't comment on that specifically, he doesn't use the word 'race' and instead refers to 'folks' and 'peoples'.

Perhaps if you take into account the relative races of the heroes, this would seem more clear.

If it is unclear, this may assist:

If 99% of heroes are white, and 75% of villains are white, is that an issue?

How much do you have to play with the numbers to make it an issue?

But if you create an human hero, nothing prevent you to do it black. And Orcs... I remember they were green/brown. And goblin in the MM are yellowish but I remember also green. Maybe I'm wrong but I remember only drow to be black and in that case their somatic traits are far from afroamerican, they have typical elven traits. Do you remember any other race that is ontologically bad/stupid and black? This is not a rethoric question.

G

Guest 6801328

People keep defaulting to the assumption that skin colour is homogenous across races in the game.

Humans, Elves, Dwarves, and tieflings have all be depicted as having dark skin at the same time as being heroic and good. I’d go so far as to say it seems to be a key editorial decision in commissioning art in 5e.

I genuinely think you are barking up the wrong tree by saying that.

i used the examples not relating to skin colour but to make it clear that ‘Good‘ does not equal ‘Same‘. I could use any number of examples of good creatures in the MM. Those were just featured as major NPC communities in the last three campaigns I read.

You don't think D&D has been drifting away from negative stereotype for years, even before JC's post?

I'm honestly perplexed that you are arguing with the general trend. Of course there are going to be counterexamples, with more and more of them in recent years. But if you don't perceive the overall pattern...well, I guess there's no point arguing about it. I'm certainly not going to spend the next week or two compiling data.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Is there a button that means "Like" but moreso?

In fact, I'll add:

Not only am I not disrespected by PoC and other minorities saying they suffer PTSD from systematic and repeated racism and oppression, it's because I'm a veteran I will do everything in my power to help them and stop what's causing the abuse. I kinda sorta swore an oath to that effect when I joined. As did every other veteran. Many of whom need to be reminded of that, IMO.

I'm sorry if my posts seem a bit....hostile. But it peeves me to no end when people try to use me and people like me to score political points in an argument that is trying to minimalize the suffering experienced by others. It's not a contest.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
But if you create an human hero, nothing prevent you to do it black.

The great writer Alan Moore stated the following in the introudction to The New Annotated H.P. Lovecraft:

Far from outlandish eccentricities, the fears that generated Lovecraft’s stories and opinions were precisely those of the white, middle-class, heterosexual, Protestant-descended males who were most threatened by the shifting power relationships and values of the modern world.

The more things change, right?

Sometimes you can have something as explicit as The Street, with immigrants and non-whites being castigated in clear terms (swarthy, furtive, sinister, stench, etc.). Other times, things can be less clear- either a product of their time (arguably a lot of racial coding is simply a product of a different era) or a reflection of the various biases that can influence people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads