D&D 5E WotC's Jeremy Crawford on D&D Races Going Forward

On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty. @ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty.

636252771691385727.jpg

@ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence debuff and the evil alignment, with a more acceptable narrative. It's a start, but there's a fair argument for gutting the entire race system.

The orcs of Eberron and Wildemount reflect where our hearts are and indicate where we’re heading.

@vorpaldicepress I hate to be "that guy", but what about Drow, Vistani, and the other troublesome races and cultures in Forgotten Realms (like the Gur, another Roma-inspired race)? Things don't change over night, but are these on the radar?

The drow, Vistani, and many other folk in the game are on our radar. The same spirit that motivated our portrayal of orcs in Eberron is animating our work on all these peoples.

@MileyMan1066 Good. These problems need to be addressed. The variant features UA could have a sequel that includes notes that could rectify some of the problems and help move 5e in a better direction.

Addressing these issues is vital to us. Eberron and Wildemount are the first of multiple books that will face these issues head on and will do so from multiple angles.

@mbriddell I'm happy to hear that you are taking a serious look at this. Do you feel that you can achieve this within the context of Forgotten Realms, given how establised that world's lore is, or would you need to establish a new setting to do this?

Thankfully, the core setting of D&D is the multiverse, with its multitude of worlds. We can tell so many different stories, with different perspectives, in each world. And when we return to a world like FR, stories can evolve. In short, even the older worlds can improve.

@SlyFlourish I could see gnolls being treated differently in other worlds, particularly when they’re a playable race. The idea that they’re spawned hyenas who fed on demon-touched rotten meat feels like they’re in a different class than drow, orcs, goblins and the like. Same with minotaurs.

Internally, we feel that the gnolls in the MM are mistyped. Given their story, they should be fiends, not humanoids. In contrast, the gnolls of Eberron are humanoids, a people with moral and cultural expansiveness.

@MikeyMan1066 I agree. Any creature with the Humanoid type should have the full capacity to be any alignmnet, i.e., they should have free will and souls. Gnolls... the way they are described, do not. Having them be minor demons would clear a lot of this up.

You just described our team's perspective exactly.

As a side-note, the term 'race' is starting to fall out of favor in tabletop RPGs (Pathfinder has "ancestry", and other games use terms like "heritage"); while he doesn't comment on that specifically, he doesn't use the word 'race' and instead refers to 'folks' and 'peoples'.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
My theory, for whatever it's worth: If a bunch of people are saying something that annoys or upsets you, you experience a momentary twinge of annoyance or upset, but it's your choice whether to cling to that sensation or allow it to fade away.

I'm pretty sure I can't relate to folks whose parents' or grandparents' generation needed to be led to school by the 101st Airborne or were locked in concentration camps, or whose parents' weren't allowed to attend the same schools based on the color of their skin, or who are still regularly stopped by police because their skin is too dark to match that of most folks who drive that kind of car or live in that kind of neighborhood, or who are still allowed to be fired (well until a day or two ago) based on who they're dating. I'm inclined to give folks that's true of a bit of leeway about not just letting things drop and fade.

Do you feel things that pile onto that should just be momentary twinges and easily dismissed?

If it's pointed out that they're piling on, do you feel folks shouldn't stop using them? If so, why?

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Or, not. I don’t like Llolth being in the abyss, either, nor Tiamat in Hell. Screw that, they’re gods.

Gruumsh could also easily be interpreted as a god of retribution, wrath, and war.

Oh, I agree its just a matter of preference, but there's already gods with those folios.

My own personal take:
Gods, even with their immense powers, do not deal in absolute: they can be stubborn and set in their ways, but they can be ''reasoned'' with and are flexible in their actions,. Mindless alignment and inflexible actions are the proper of Demon/Devils/Celestial whatever, not that they cant have the same power as ''deities''. In my FR, Asmodeus is not a god: he's a Fiend of the same power level as a God. Lolth is a demon lord with powers (at least) equaling those of Corellon. Grummsh is the same: he is an absolute, incapable of change, something that you could compared to an elemental whose origin isnt air or earth, but destruction. So, to me, he's a demon lord (or Elder Evil, maybe?).

In my FR canon, Grummsh, after the whole Aranccini (Lolth before she was Lolth, you know what I mean) and Corellon debacle, tried to lay low for a time in Acheron, but got his a** kicked by Bane approximately at the same time the Seldarine kicked the Drow in the Underdark and Lolth in the abyss. So Grummsh went looking for his old ally Lolth and carved himself a nice little abyssal place between her and the other lords of pure rampaging hatred like Yeenoghu and Baphomet. From there he commands his still loyal orcs to take revenge upon the world in his name. Most orcs summoned by the old empires from their unnamed plane of origin are no longer worshipper of Grummsh and Co, but orcish cultists of the demon lord are still pulling strings from the shadow, pushing the tribes to wage war upon the enemies of Grummsh under false pretenses.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
One way in which our current era differs radically from past ages: because of technology and mass markets, people have access to thousands of times as much information about the distant and recent past as ever before. Time may heal all wounds, but they heal less fast if you constantly scratch at them, and today's overabundance of knowledge, trivia, propaganda, and all other forms of data is the equivalent of pouring a continual stream of itching powder upon both the oldest and newest of those wounds. Nobody can stand to leave the subject alone and allow the hurt to fade; they're constantly poking at that sore tooth, driving themselves mad with pain, because they're unwilling or unable to just stay away from the situation and allow time to do its work.

In many cases, it's because the cause of the wound has never suitably been redressed and there are still negative consequences being felt - racism as a legacy of slavery in the Americas, racism as a result of colonialism in Europe, dysfunctional corruption and weak institutions in former imperial possessions, the list goes on and on.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Oh, I agree its just a matter of preference, but there's already gods with those folios.

My own personal take:
Gods, even with their immense powers, do not deal in absolute: they can be stubborn and set in their ways, but they can be ''reasoned'' with and are flexible in their actions,. Mindless alignment and inflexible actions are the proper of Demon/Devils/Celestial whatever, not that they cant have the same power as ''deities''. In my FR, Asmodeus is not a god: he's a Fiend of the same power level as a God. Lolth is a demon lord with powers (at least) equaling those of Corellon. Grummsh is the same: he is an absolute, incapable of change, something that you could compared to an elemental whose origin isnt air or earth, but destruction. So, to me, he's a demon lord (or Elder Evil, maybe?).

In my FR canon, Grummsh, after the whole Aranccini (Lolth before she was Lolth, you know what I mean) and Corellon debacle, tried to lay low for a time in Acheron, but got his a** kicked by Bane approximately at the same time the Seldarine kicked the Drow in the Underdark and Lolth in the abyss. So Grummsh went looking for his old ally Lolth and carved himself a nice little abyssal place between her and the other lords of pure rampaging hatred like Yeenoghu and Baphomet. From there he commands his still loyal orcs to take revenge upon the world in his name. Most orcs summoned by the old empires from their unnamed plane of origin are no longer worshipper of Grummsh and Co, but orcish cultists of the demon lord are still pulling strings from the shadow, pushing the tribes to wage war upon the enemies of Grummsh under false pretenses.
I’ll be honest, I just really strongly dislike making gods into demons and devils.

If Bane gets to be a god, Llolth and Tiamat and Gruumsh are gods, IMO.

And tbh in my games Asmodeus is a god.

Oofta

Legend
Aren't Gruumsh and Lollth fundamentally different? I mean, the current origin story of drow is kind of messed up. There were a bunch of no-goodnick elves smoking out back so Corellon got pissed off and kicked them out of the school grounds and cursed them. Lollth was there to pick up the pieces and adopted them as her people.

Of course Gruumsh isn't that much better - he was marginalized and all the other gods ignored him when he pointed out that there was no room left for his people. He created orcs to be a weapon because he was pissed.

So Lollth adopted (and corrupted), Gruumsh created. So that's my take on how they're different.

Both stories are actually kind of messed up.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I’ll be honest, I just really strongly dislike making gods into demons and devils.

If Bane gets to be a god, Llolth and Tiamat and Gruumsh are gods, IMO.

And tbh in my games Asmodeus is a god.

I get what you are saying.

My vision is that Bane can work with gods from other alignment, or even for a ''greater good'' (see the Dawn War). He wont like it, he may pout all the way, but he is capable of doing such things.

On the other side, Tiamat, Lolth , Grummsh etc, are absolutely unable to cooperate for any length of time without trying to kill those that were their allies 2 seconds before.

In short: if a power is too dumb or nasty to be able to share the Astral sea with its other little friends, its a high-power planar creature an not a god. :p

Again, this is my own version of the whole thing, there's no objective truth behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads