D&D General Would the 14 year old that was made A Baroness before she was even born be annoyed that her title was actually a bribe to buy her mothers silence?

JMISBEST

Explorer
I had A 1st edition Dungeons and Dragons Dream last night and I have a question about it

Basically theirs A 14 year old Baroness whose mother was A Commoner and whose father is unknown and the official reason that she was made A Baroness before she was even born is because her mother carried out some task for The, at the time, Crown Prince that was very dangerous that greatly benefited the country, which is why her mother was rewarded by having her unborn child, The now 14 year old Baroness, being made A Senior Baroness who was granted rulership of A Large Barony before she was even born

Then 11 days after her 14th birthday The 14 year old Baroness's mother is on her death bed and tells The 14 year old Baroness/her daughter, the truth, she never carried out some task for The, at the time, Crown Prince that was very dangerous and greatly benefited the country, rather she had a brief affair with The, at the time, Crown Prince, you were the result and you being made A Senior Baroness and being granted rulership of A Large Barony before you were even born was a bribe to ensure my silence over the fact that at the time you were the kings illegitimate granddaughter and it also ensures my silence that you are now the new kings illegitimate daughter

Then The 14 year old Baroness's mother dies with a smile on her face, and the reason she's smiling is because she's glad that her daughter, after 14 years, 1 week and 4 days, knows the truth, that she's the the kings illegitimate daughter and that now that her mothers dead the king, her former lover, couldn't punish her even if he wanted to

My question is would the 14 year old that was made A Senior Baroness ruling A Large Barony before she was even born be angry? and if so how angry? that her title was actually a bribe to buy her mothers silence about the fact that at the time she was the kings illegitimate granddaughter and she is now the new kings illegitimate daughter?

I'm not sure that she would, after all by making his illegitimate Daughter A Senior Baroness ruling A Large Barony before she was even born her father ensured that she would have a very good life and that his former lover would also lead a good life and he didn't have to do either, to put it another way in all likelihood the mother of his illegitimate Daughter would never come forward and even if she did no one would believe her without undeniable proof and he'd made sure that their wasn't any and if she'd tried she'd have been executed for treason and her daughter, if born, would have been made a life long indentured servant to A Noble

Last edited:

jasper

Rotten DM
Since she was raised in the court life, that would depend how the King treated her. How mommy treated her. How the lackeys and suck ups treated her. The laws of the land. I see 3 different book series from this question depending on the magic level.

It depends a lot on the character of the 14-year-old.

There are a lot of possible reactions.
  • She might try to abuse the knowledge, and blackmail the king. But she needs a strong position for that.
  • She might try to charm daddy and become an heir to the throne.
  • She might just be content with her life, and try not to cause much problems.
  • She might also be afraid. With her mother dead, there is no reason for the King to let her keep the title. Since she has no heirs, all it takes is one little accident that causes her death, and the title to the barony is vacant - which the king can give away. She needs to strengthen her position.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
I had A 1st edition Dungeons and Dragons Dream last night and I have a question about it

Basically theirs A 14 year old Baroness whose mother was A Commoner and whose father is unknown and the official reason that she was made A Baroness before she was even born is because her mother carried out some task for The, at the time, Crown Prince that was very dangerous that greatly benefited the country, which is why her mother was rewarded by having her unborn child, The now 14 year old Baroness, being made A Senior Baroness who was granted rulership of A Large Barony before she was even born

Then 11 days after her 14th birthday The 14 year old Baroness's mother is on her death bed and tells The 14 year old Baroness/her daughter, the truth, she never carried out some task for The, at the time, Crown Prince that was very dangerous and greatly benefited the country, rather she had a brief affair with The, at the time, Crown Prince, you were the result and you being made A Senior Baroness and being granted rulership of A Large Barony before you were even born was a bribe to ensure my silence over the fact that at the time you were the kings illegitimate granddaughter and it also ensures my silence that you are now the new kings illegitimate daughter

Then The 14 year old Baroness's mother dies with a smile on her face, and the reason she's smiling is because she's glad that her daughter, after 14 years, 1 week and 4 days, knows the tat she's the the kings illegitimate daughter and that now that her mothers dead the king, her former lover, couldn't punish her even if he wanted to

My question is would the 14 year old that was made A Senior Baroness ruling A Large Barony before she was even born be angry? and if so how angry? that her title was actually a bribe to buy her mothers silence about the fact that at the time she was the kings illegitimate granddaughter and she is now the new kings illegitimate daughter?

I'm not sure that she would, after all her by making his illegitimate Daughter A Senior Baroness ruling A Large Barony before she was even born her father ensured that she would have a very good life and that his former lover would also lead a good life and he didn't have to do either, to put it another way in all likelihood the mother of his illegitimate Daughter would never come forward and even if she did no one would believe her without undeniable proof and he'd made sure that their wasn't any and if she'd tried she'd have been executed for treason and her daughter, if born, would have been made a life long indentured servant to A Noble

Before she heard her mother's secret, what kind of life path did the daughter expect? People can react in weird ways when their expectations aren't met. So reacting with anger would be a human thing to do.

Oofta

Legend
On the one hand you have a 14 year old who just lost her mother. Roll a dice, consult a star chart and that will tell you the answer.

I could see it either way. Her entire life is a lie or she has some internal conflict but she cares about her people and does the best she can. She realizes nobility is a meaningless farce, terrified of the thought of running a barony, raids the armory, dyes and cuts her hair and goes off to be an adventurer. The question is, what makes for the best story?

JMISBEST

Explorer
What makes it a 1st edition dream?
Because in The Dream The Baroness's 4th closest Friend, who was A Elf, her closest none human friend and her closest male friend, were talking about how its very strange that Humans and Elves are unable to have mixed race Children and 1st edition DAD is the only edition of DAD that doesn't have Half Elves in it, which means that it must be A 1st edition DAD Dream

Last edited:

JMISBEST

Explorer
Since she was raised in the court life, that would depend how the King treated her. How mommy treated her. How the lackeys and suck ups treated her. The laws of the land. I see 3 different book series from this question depending on the magic level.
She wasn't raised in The Royal Court and until 11 days after her 14th birthday no one, not even The Baroness, other then her mother and her father/the king, knew that she was the kings illegitimate daughter and that her Lands and Title was A Bribe to ensure her mothers silence about her truth heritage, as far as everyone, even The Baroness, knew whilst she was pregnant with her The Baroness's mother did something that greatly benefited The Crown Prince and her reward was her daughter being made A Senior Baroness that ruled A Large Barony before The Future Baroness was even born

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Shes 14, has her own barony with like a castle and servants and a quaint little village with villagers that deliver her vegetables and an awesome elf friend that brings venison.
but her mother just died and her father never loved her and life is so hard sometimes - I think she just needs chocolate

(I’m also worried about all these new marriage proposals coming in, now that her mothers not there to chaperone. Maybe the king needs to intervene for the security of the barony and his nation?)

TheSword

Legend
How does someone who hasn’t been born rule a kingdom?
How does making the daughter baroness stop her finding out she’s his daughter?

Remove ads