D&D General Would the 14 year old that was made A Baroness before she was even born be annoyed that her title was actually a bribe to buy her mothers silence?

Ixal

Hero
She'd be feeling pretty much all the emotions at once, which she probably can't handle.

Hopefully, she has some loyal staff who will keep her form doing anything stupid. Left to her own devices, she could do anything.

The smart move is: be a baroness. She doesn't really have a claim beyond that (she's not a legitimate heir so no claim to the crown) and she can't reveal her secret without weakening the only one inclined to do anything for her. Baroness ain't a bad gig, she can possibly marry up or otherwise combine her holdings to get even richer and if she can one day come to understand why her mother kept the secret she did she can live as happy a life as nobility allows.

But 14 year-olds aren't known for doing the smart thing.
14 is a bit young to rule alone so she likely has a regent handling her posessions. Or at least she had one until recently.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
As to your question @JMISBEST, teens are odd creatures. The answer is yes, no or both. Some teens might be upset that the parent was trying to control her life. Others might be like, "This life is awesome! Thanks mom!" Others might be both happy at the awesome life and upset at the intrusion/control.

JMISBEST

Explorer
I'm not commenting on right or wrong about your dream. I'm just pointing out that 1e had Half-elves. ;)

As for the dream itself, were it my dream I wouldn't assign it a specific edition even if I didn't know about the Half-elves being in 1e. Dreams do odd things that don't always make sense. That said, it is again your dream and if you felt it was 1e, then maybe it was! It's for you to interpret. :)
The dream didn't specify which edition it was, but it did mention that Half Elves don't exist and because as far as I knew 1e DAD was the only DAD edition that didn't have Half Elves in it I assumed it had to be a 1e DAD Dream

fba827

Adventurer
She’s only ever known an entitled life. Unless she was tempered with an over abundance of wisdom, she’s going to feel like her rights and privileges that she ‘has the right to’ are now in jeopardy if anyone finds out. She’s going to double down on brattiness to overemphasize (in her own mind) her place and position of power

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I thought that illegitimate sons were called bastards and that illegitimate daughters were called bitches, looks like even I make mistakes
A bitch is a female dog, usually a breeding dog. Bastard is technically gender-neutral but almost always used to refer to illegitimate sons. Probably because there was seldom any need to refer to illegitimate daughters, as neither parent would really benefit from an illegitimate daughter gaining recognition.

JMISBEST

Explorer
I've had a thought. What would happen if 8 years later the Baroness, who at this time will have recently turned 22, decided to head out into the world and become A Adventurer?

If she does then the reason she choose to become A Adventurer is because she hopes that becoming A Adventurer will allow her to acquire enough fame, fortune, glory, respect and popularity that her father/the king, will decide that she's worthy of having him not only officially declare she's his daughter that'd he'd also deem her worthy of him legitimizing her right to be queen when he dies

14 is a bit young to rule alone so she likely has a regent handling her posessions. Or at least she had one until recently.
The loyalty is the variable, but that probably depends on the exact personality of the girl.

Plus it's possible she might get caught up in a scheme - ie another house wants to take over and her secret getting out would help - but she should only share that if she can get an even better deal under the new regime...

Yeah, there's a ton of ways this could go.

jasper

Rotten DM
She wasn't raised in The Royal Court and until 11 days after her 14th birthday no one, not even The Baroness, other then her mother and her father/the king, knew that she was the kings illegitimate daughter and that her Lands and Title was A Bribe to ensure her mothers silence about her truth heritage, as far as everyone, even The Baroness, knew whilst she was pregnant with her The Baroness's mother did something that greatly benefited The Crown Prince and her reward was her daughter being made A Senior Baroness that ruled A Large Barony before The Future Baroness was even born
I did not say ROYAL Court. I said court. Was she raised and trained to be a baroness, then it is a court. All the trappings of a minor noble with being judge, jury, admin, etc. It sounds like mommy was in charge of the barony until daughter hit the majority. It reads like she was Baby Baroness of Bugtustle and is now Baroness of the Beverly Hills. OR was she Cindy Commoner and now Baroness of Bel-Air?

JMISBEST

Explorer
She'd be feeling pretty much all the emotions at once, which she probably can't handle.

Hopefully, she has some loyal staff who will keep her form doing anything stupid. Left to her own devices, she could do anything.

The smart move is: be a baroness. She doesn't really have a claim beyond that (she's not a legitimate heir so no claim to the crown) and she can't reveal her secret without weakening the only one inclined to do anything for her. Baroness ain't a bad gig, she can possibly marry up or otherwise combine her holdings to get even richer and if she can one day come to understand why her mother kept the secret she did she can live as happy a life as nobility allows.

But 14 year-olds aren't known for doing the smart thing.
Another option may be that because she's only 14 every year she could set aside the profit the barony makes her, depending on the number, training, weapons and armor of the troops in The Baronies Garrison the profit from her Barony could be anywhere from a mere 40 Gold a year up to almost 1,000 Gold a year

No matter how much profit the barony makes her per year the initial part of her plan is that she'd use most of the money she's made to buy land off owners that are desperate enough to sell and rent it out, maybe even renting to the former owners, she has a ambitious endgame plan but she knows, and freely admits, that she'll never live long enough to complete it

I will admit that depending on how much profit she makes per year in the early stages of her plan she could up buying land anywhere between every other year and every 10th year. Scary thought but its likely that it won't be as scary as it could be

Her plan is that overtime these extra earnings could amount to a few thousand Gold Coins a year more, and her eventual plan would be that whoever succeeds her will eventually be able to buy the title that's directly above hers and depending on the gender of her heir the title would be either Very Senior Baron or Very Senior Baroness

I will admit that even though the 14 year old Senior Baroness would love to live long enough that she could afford to be the 1 that pay's to have her families title upgraded to Very Senior Baroness she's realistic enough to know she won't live long enough

Last edited:

Remove ads