• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Would you buy a Dark Sun setting book for 5e?

Would you buy a Dark Sun setting book for 5e?

• Yes, I like Dark Sun.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Probably yes, but I'd make sure to read some reviews first.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Probably no, unless WotC really does a spectacular job with the book.

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • No, I dislike Dark Sun.

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • I don't buy setting books.

Votes: 5 3.6%

dave2008

Legend
i said yes; however, it is not because I like Dark Sun. I said yes because I assumed it would have content I am interested in. If not, I wouldn't buy it.

Not for Dark Sun-specific content. But previous setting books have included more general rules that are useful for other campaigns like the Patron system and adventure hook generators in Eberron: RftLW.
I'd base my buying decision of that aspect of the DS book.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Dark Sun is a lot like Star Wars to me: sometimes the ideas are better than the actual results. I love what the settings and stories imply. But I have been disappointed at times when it comes to the products that are attempting to present those ideas. I feel like Dark Sun would not be a very good fit for 5e. At least, not for the kind of experience I would want.

And it's not just because of the rule set. Dark Sun has always been filled with inconsistencies between what it promises and what it delivers. A world where magic is highly feared, restricted by powerful beings, and destructive to the ecosystem, yet there are more rules and options for spells and casters in every edition? Seems contradictory to me. What is on the package isn't what is in the product.

I could go on with a number of similar issues, but that is not the topic for this poll. I would not likely purchase a Dark Sun product for 5e unless it looked really good to me. In order to have any appeal, I would need to see some real effort to make the setting unique and delivering on its implied promises, not just shoehorn ideas and make tweaks to preserve the integrity of the system that the setting was designed to defile.

jasper

Rotten DM
Only when the skies darken, the sun goes out, and cats take over the world. Okay. Under $20 for the Dirty Santa game.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
I voted yes, but I want to see reviews first. It would depend on the content, ultimately, and how far they stretch the baseline. The more they push the envelope, the more interested I am.

I would buy it sight-unseen unless it got rid of psionics as a major element in the setting. And I think its unlikely that it would. Even if it did, if they completely rebooted the setting, and made it still interesting, even without major psionics stuff, I'd buy it. I love Dark Sun in a slightly irrational way.

Also, lets be real, there's no way it could be total trash, because WotC wouldn't allow it. No 5E non-adventure book has been anywhere near "trash".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads