Would you play a TTRPG that used Meters instead of Feet?

Would you play a TTRPG that uses Meters instead of Feet for measurement and distance?

• Yes, and I am from the USA

Votes: 70 46.7%
  • Yes, and I am from outside of the USA

Votes: 69 46.0%
  • No, and I am from the USA

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • No, and I am from outside of the USA

Votes: 3 2.0%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
To make it easier, picture D&D or Pathfinder (any editions really) that use Meters instead of Feet.

Would you still play them with that change?
You can move 10 meters, aka 10 squares.
You fall 4 meters and take 1d6 damage.
etc
Yes, I understood the question. I would not refuse to play a game based on its choice of measurement units. Was that the wrong answer? :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think what Morrus is saying is that this change is not very important, and the ease or difficulty of working in metres rather than feet would not be significant to him. Like me, he's from the UK, which uses metric units for many things. Most British people, apart from the very old, can work with either system.
In fact you don’t even have to ‘work’ in the measurement. The game isn’t going to make you convert them as you go. It’s just a unit of 1. Call them giraffes or bizzleberries or something. You can move 10 feet. You can move 10 metres. You can move 10 bizzleberries. As long as you know it’s 10, the word after it is irrelevant.

I can move 30 bizzleberries and my bow has a range of 120 bizzleberries. Those squares are 1 bizzleberry each. Or 5 bizzleberries. Or whatever scale the map uses.

aramis erak

Legend
Let's say a new TTRPG came out, and for its measurement of moving, ability/spell distance, falling, etc, they used Meters instead of Feet. Would you be fine with that, and would you play it?
US, yes.
Well, the yes is qualified - only if the game itself is otherwise playable within my psychopathologies.

I do, in fact, prefer metric/SI for all but thematic situations, despite living in the US..

I like L5R using shaku and ken; I wish it also listed ri on the maps... (1 ri is about 3.927 km).
Similarly for other Samurai games. I'd not be upset to see metric instead.

For Pendragon, I'll stick with ETM.

aco175

Legend
I voted no. As a lazy American, I would not want to learn a new game system and a new measuring system. Granted, Metric is not that hard, and people are still trying to foist it upon us, but, perhaps, this is the reason we are the only superpower in the world. Hubris you say. Well, perhaps, but still likely not pickup a new game if the lead was that it uses metric instead of the crap Americans use. Maybe something with squares like 4e, but that was still based on the 5ft square.

Not sure which mene is funnier.

1684928811541.png
1684928830728.png

1684928845905.png
1684928924127.png

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I originally learned si, and then switched to fractional (US Customary, Imperial is another system) and later in life have used both at work, even others such as the British Whitworth. I prefer metric in play, though when playing I will usually modify it so that I also say the US measurement.

Slit518

Adventurer
Yes, I understood the question. I would not refuse to play a game based on its choice of measurement units. Was that the wrong answer? :)
I apologize. Your initial answer didn't give me enough context to let me know if that were a yes or no, so I decided to give more context.

In fact you don’t even have to ‘work’ in the measurement. The game isn’t going to make you convert them as you go. It’s just a unit of 1. Call them giraffes or bizzleberries or something. You can move 10 feet. You can move 10 metres. You can move 10 bizzleberries. As long as you know it’s 10, the word after it is irrelevant.

I can move 30 bizzleberries and my bow has a range of 120 bizzleberries. Those squares are 1 bizzleberry each. Or 5 bizzleberries. Or whatever scale the map uses.
That's it! I'm making a game where measurements are in cubits (~18 inches) and weight is in stones (~14.4 pounds)!

Remove ads