Would you prefer it if your partner said you were a great GM, or great in bed?

Pick from each pair of questions the answer most true for you

• I would be happier if my girlfriend said I was a great in bed

Votes: 66 81.5%
  • I would be happier if my girlfriend said I was a great GM

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • I would be more hurt if my girlfriend said I was lousy in bed

Votes: 50 61.7%
  • I would be more hurt if my girlfriend said I was a lousy GM

Votes: 20 24.7%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heathen72

Explorer
This thread/poll kinda disturbs me.

Not sure if its the assumption that all DMs are male (or at least of gender/preference to have girlfriends) or the whole sterotype geek and sex = *giggle giggle* thing.

Hi 'No such thing as a free lunch'. I think you're being a bit unfair. The reference to girlfriend in the poll was an accident I can't amend, but I did note and apologise for it in the OP (It was because it arose from a specific conversation with someone about their girlfriend, and I was in hurry)

While there is a bit of giggle giggle about the sex in this thread, I made no reference to geeks at all, and deny any stereotyping. I could have asked a similar question of a footballer, an actor, or a painter about their passions. That you think it's about geeks perhaps only reveals something of your own view of role playing.

pawsplay

Hero
I think you're being a bit unfair.

I don't think so. Is it possible you are taking the comment a bit personally? It is true that you made the assumption in the OP that every member of this forum was unmarried, and either a heterosexual male or a homosexual female. Just own up to it. It's okay to make mistakes. :)

FickleGM

Explorer
Neither

From my view, one of the things both GMing and 'post gaming activities' have in common is that the communication regarding quality will best come from nonverbal cues.

While it would be nice to have someone tell me I am a good GM, I find it more satisfying when their actions and nonverbal cues say it instead. When I look around the table and see that the players are enjoying the game, that means more to me than someone telling me that I am doing a good job. When someone gets so sucked into the story that they legitimately show some level of emotion toward a NPC, that puts a smile on my face. When I saw someone a week ago that I hadn't seen in nearly two years, and one of their first questions was if I would start running a game again, that made me feel good. Hearing the words are nice, but I find that they don't mean as much as the other signs of being good.

Likewise, I find body language, body spasms, and other such things to be better than words. Still, words aren't without merit. A poem I wrote a few years back might express the topic better.

Natural Disaster
Sweat drips
Walls shake
Muscles clench
Bodies quiver
Rapid pulse
Erotic earthquake

Hours pass
Biological clocks
Time stands still
Gasp for air
Nearly drowning
Fierce aftershocks

Heat
Volcanic eruption
Head spinning
Cyclone swirl
Thought disruption
Carnal thunder
Hurricane seduction

Teeth
Claws
You say faster
You say please
Embrace me
Taste me
Take me
Give me another
Natural disaster​
One could possibly think that, but not me. :eek:

Heathen72

Explorer
I don't think so. Is it possible you are taking the comment a bit personally? It is true that you made the assumption in the OP that every member of this forum was unmarried, and either a heterosexual male or a homosexual female. Just own up to it. It's okay to make mistakes. :)

Yeah, but, you know, I did own up to it - in the OP! I apologized too, within minutes of posting, and amended the OP to clarify. The poll I can't change, I am afraid.

Certainly an unfortunate oversight on my part, but I felt that to indicate disturbance without acknowledging (reading?) the explanation in the OP was a little bit unfair, yes. Not a big deal, sure, but I wanted to respond. Oh, and tanstaafl.au indicated I was stereotyping, too, which grated, though I am not sure why. I don't think it would have bothered me if I actually had done a little humorous stereotyping at our own expense.

Meh. I feel like I am coming across as precious about it. It's just a silly thread people are enjoying. I will leave it at that.

Last edited:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, my girlfriend does not game, so I would really rather that she tell me that I am good in bed, even if she has to lie. :p

I did get propositioned by one of the girls in my game a few months back, which I could have used as a benchmark, but I would really rather keep my girlfriend of more than a decade, thanks. *

The Auld Grump

* I am sorry to say that I went into a panic - I am just not accustomed to such things. :blush: I ended up apologizing for my panicked dash out the door. I like the girl, and if I weren't seeing someone I might well have taken her up on it, but where were these offers twenty years ago, when I was available?

Heathen72

Explorer
I like the girl, and if I weren't seeing someone I might well have taken her up on it, but where were these offers twenty years ago, when I was available?

I think it might be the Alan Rickman thing. A lot of girls really like Alan Rickman.
You do have a paper Snape mask with the eyeholes cut out that you wear when you are GMing, don't you?

Nadaka

First Post
Isn't roleplaying an important part of both...

:p

As my ex said when I told her that I played roleplaying games: "Ooo! I'll be a naughty chearleader and you can be the pervy older teacher". I said: "sounds like fun, but I was thinking of the other kind of roleplaying."

Rel

Liquid Awesome
As my ex said when I told her that I played roleplaying games: "Ooo! I'll be a naughty chearleader and you can be the pervy older teacher". I said: "sounds like fun, but I was thinking of the other kind of roleplaying."

As the great and wise Billy Joel once said, "leave a tender moment alone".

nai_cha

First Post
Argh, I clicked the wrong tickybox.

But anyway, I don't want to sleep with any of the people I game with, and I don't want to game with any of the people I sleep with. The sample size of people who could say whether I had mad GM skillz or not don't overlap with those who could assess my skills in the bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads