• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you use a transporter beam?

AlexM

First Post
The airplane is a physical object while a transporter is a disassembly - reassembly device. I would hate to appear at my destination with parts missing, or experience a power loss at a critical point, causing me to remain in a disassembled state, especially if my destination is not another transporter.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
I guess a big question is whether a person can be copied in a non-quantum sense.

If quantum state must be copied to preserve consciousness, then there can be only one of a person. This would be most convenient, since it simplifies the question.

But, if the quantum state doesn't matter, or is only important in a transient sense, then you could copy a person.

But also, if the quantum state doesn't matter, then continuity can be questioned without considering teleportation: The person that I am today may not be continuous with the person that I was yesterday.

Brings up a lot of messy questions: If I store my physical state sufficient to recreate myself, then destroy my physical state, am I alive or dead? (We have this problem in D&D when a person is petrified. What happens to their soul?)

Or, if quantum state matters, but only in a transient sense that it is regenerated on a regular interval when consciousness arises, say, in the morning after sleep, then we might see subtle differences between instances of a person which were created from the same physical base. The person on the far end of a teleporter could really be an evil twin.

For folks watching "Dark Matter", they are playing with this idea, with a transporter implementation which uses a biological 3D printer and copied memories to effect transportation. See episode 8.

Thx!

TomB

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The airplane is a physical object while a transporter is a disassembly - reassembly device. I would hate to appear at my destination with parts missing, or experience a power loss at a critical point, causing me to remain in a disassembled state, especially if my destination is not another transporter.

Dead is dead. Maimed is maimed. I fail to see how "missing an arm from a transporter accident" is worse than "missing an arm from a car crash".

MarkB

Legend
Just avoid the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation models.

“I teleported home last night with Ron and Sid and Meg
Ron stole Meggy's heart away and I got Sidney's leg.”

Remove ads