Wow. Just began reading Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes -- WOTC is really putting out some awesome books.

gyor

Legend
Honestly the things that sold me on buying the book, expanded Demihuman pantheons (especially Zandilar, even if they did weird things with her lore, originally she was a human deity adopted by Elves and it was at that point she was depicted as Elven, she was likely a pre fiend worshipping Nar Human Goddess, who later was worshipped by Elves and Half Elves and later still merged with Bast who saved her from Vhaerun after which she gave birth to his son Selvetarm, who later got tricked into evil and enslaved by his Grandmother Lolth). Plus I wanted the rules for Shadar Kai, Eladarin, Tiefling subraces, and Gith. The Beastairy was fun gravy.

But the book does have its flaws, it could explain some of its changes to lore better, newbie players might not know what to do with most of the deities in the book with only base minium details on them, and some of the lore seems not to fit with other lore in the book right (the Immortal Shadar Kai section makes no sense with Elven reincarnation).

The Eidolon is interesting idea, but mechanically dull compared to the 4e version, should have had some magic spells.

The Oblex is awesome, one of my favourite Monsters in the book, maybe my favourite because I can see so many uses for it, from pet of mindflayers, to Cultist of Jubilex or Eldar Evils, to creepy, but seductive concubine that is an entire haram in a single entity, to a plot where one of the personalities somehow regains control of itself outside of the Oblex's hunger and desires. In fact perhaps a Oblex who recieves too much pyschic damage finds its personalities have regains a large degree of mental independance and their own alignments.

Also I would have the Oblex perfer to deal none leathal damage to feed on its prey's memories longer.

Some other good monster, spirit trolls, dybukk (exrocist movie inspired), Maugzi (the ghoul demons, I miss spelled it)Merrenloths.+

Remove ads