D&D 5E Wow! No more subraces. The Players Handbook races reformat to the new race format going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Thri Kreens should get +4 dex, +2 Strength and +2 Wis. I mean they are huge insects with 4 arms.

If we keep stat bonuses, we should really donthem right. Why confine ourself to meaningless +2 or +1 bonuses?

I think Thri Kreens should get +4 dex, +2 Strength and +2 Wis. I mean they are huge insects with 4 arms.

If we keep stat bonuses, we should really donthem right. Why confine ourself to meaningless +2 or +1 bonuses?
Shameless self quote:

In the transition from 3.0 to 3.5 gnomes went from +2 int to +2 charisma, at least that was what I remembered...
in the internet I found +2 constitution instead...

I think it is hard to actually define what the right racial bonus is.

I would like ability bonus tied to class. That would actually be helpful.
I would even like some classes to get bigger bonuses and I would like you to gain them when multiclassing.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter

This essential displays the problem or stat based fantasy races.

If you make races and subraces "honestly" and "correctly" with ability adjustments being the main component, you would end up with overpowered races or underpowered races as you attempt to balanced them. It wuld be a power gamer's nightmare or dream. Blaming people for optimal picks would be impossible or laughable when you have +8 strength races and +4 charisma races available.

If you make races and subraces "honestly" and "correctly" with ability adjustments being the main component, you would end up with overpowered races or underpowered races as you attempt to balanced them. It wuld be a power gamer's nightmare or dream. Blaming people for optimal picks would be impossible or laughable when you have +8 strength races and +4 charisma races available.
Exactly my point. Thanks for elaborating.
:)
This is why I love the goliath design.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Exactly my point. Thanks for elaborating.
:)
This is why I love the goliath design.
The goliath design is nonsensical if it doesn't come with a strength bonus.

Goliath: "My people are big and strong. We can carry more than anyone else."

Human: "So are you actually any stronger than a halfling can be?

Goliath: "Well, no. But despite not being any stronger, we can carry more.....................................for some reason that apparently has nothing to do with actual strength"

Scribe

Legend

I fail to see the issue. Just apply level adjustments. ;)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I fail to see the issue. Just apply level adjustments. ;)
Level adjustments make races unplayable as your characters become a tier behind the party's appropriate challenge. Your level 1 minotaur with 26 strength is dealing with level 5 challenges.

That's my point. You can't be honest with just stat increases AND have a balanced game

lingual

Adventurer
The goliath design is nonsensical if it doesn't come with a strength bonus.

Goliath: "My people are big and strong. We can carry more than anyone else."

Human: "So are you actually any stronger than a halfling can be?

Goliath: "Well, no. But despite not being any stronger, we can carry more.....................................for some reason that apparently has nothing to do with actual strength"
Could they do things 0ther than straight stay bonuses? Like proficiency/expertise in Athletics, Strength saving throws. Advantage on Strength checks? Stuff that can't be directly tied to DPR

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Could they do things 0ther than straight stay bonuses? Like proficiency/expertise in Athletics, Strength saving throws. Advantage on Strength checks? Stuff that can't be directly tied to DPR
The problem is that if you do anything to represent greater strength, they would also have a corresponding strength bonus to stat to represent that in the world. Otherwise you end up with "We are stronger, but not actually stronger."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads