D&D 5E Wow! No more subraces. The Players Handbook races reformat to the new race format going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolares

Hero
For minmaxers it won't be fun.
For everyone else, playing the not optimal character will be fun too, sometimes especially because he is not optimized.
That's really generalizing. I had a player that wanted to make an air genasi storm sorcerer. For min maxing that's a really bad combo, even without ASIs. He is fine playing that character, even if any other subclass would be better for a sorcerer, but being at 15 max charisma was a real feel bad for him. It would make him not want to play the character he wanted to play.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
That's really generalizing. I had a player that wanted to make an air genasi storm sorcerer. For min maxing that's a really bad combo, even without ASIs. He is fine playing that character, even if any other subclass would be better for a sorcerer, but being at 15 max charisma was a real feel bad for him. It would make him not want to play the character he wanted to play.

One thing I find sad is the mentality/belief that anything less than 16 in a "primary" stat is bad/wrong/terrible (It might not be universal but it's pretty pervasive). What's worse is that (the few times) I'm playing vs. DMing, I find myself gravitating toward that belief.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
One thing I find sad is the mentality/belief that anything less than 16 in a "primary" stat is bad/wrong/terrible (It might not be universal but it's pretty pervasive). What's worse is that (the few times) I'm playing vs. DMing, I find myself gravitating toward that belief.
that is a math problem of the game if a plus one was sufficient for the entire game math then a 16 would not be needed.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
It’s not. And I don’t feel compelled to go above 16.

but this is one reason why ability scores and race were decoupled.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
When it was first suggested, I felt that removing ASIs from races would make them less diverse, but seeing them presented this way... I really like it. I can always make my Giff have a bump in strength and constitution if I want to play up that big ol' hippo, or I can put it in intelligence and wisdom for my wizened old (but still tough!) wise-guy hippo.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
When it was first suggested, I felt that removing ASIs from races would make them less diverse, but seeing them presented this way... I really like it. I can always make my Giff have a bump in strength and constitution if I want to play up that big ol' hippo, or I can put it in intelligence and wisdom for my wizened old (but still tough!) wise-guy hippo.
Or Dexterity and Wisdom if you want to be a sniper/gunslinger Giff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads