Wuxia Campaigns

Bluenose

Adventurer
Three classic examples from Chinese stories are:

1. Defeat/remove the corrupt - sometimes the Emperor, more often corrupt officials. The adventurers must track down the source of the corruption that is ruining their lives, defeat it, find the next step(s) in the conspiracy and (after however many steps are desired) finally defeat it to restore order and prosperity to the Empire - Jade Empire, the Bioware cRPG, is an example.
2. Unite the empire and bring peace/prosperity. For whatever reason the Empire is no more, and you wish to restore/create it. Plenty of overcoming warlords, politicking, and the domain-game is in play as well. Romance of the Three Kingdoms fits this, to some degree.
3. The Empire needs something. Go and get it wherever it is, which might mean travelling to strange foreign lands, into the depths of magical lands within the empire, even into the hells or heavens to obtain it. Journey to the West is a classic example.

Voadam

Legend
I try to run high level D&D a lot like Wuxia, lots of rule of cool and over the top action descriptions particularly for the martial oriented party members and serious NPC combat enemies. High level D&D is often the caster show just based on mechanical capabilities so I like to narratively try to make martials feel cool.

aramis erak

Legend
Not as such, but wuxia traitsare not too hard in the demon zone i Cali, and wok wellin the living land.
Translated to English and expanded a touch: No, Torg doesn't have a specific Wuxia setting, but traits of the wuxia genre can be done in the demonic held zone in California, and they work well enough in the living land. You just need to work it through.

Remove ads