Wuxia?

Hairfoot

First Post
I'm seeing this term crop up more and more often. Wikipaedia describes it as, essentially, an Asian equivalent of a "buddy" movie.

What does it mean in relation to RPGs?

Drowbane

First Post
Wuxia = Wire Fu

At least, thats how I've always thought of it.

In D&D, the Monk can be played Wuxia. But the Martial Adept classes, especially the Swordsage, (ToB) do it better.

Last edited:

Mieric

First Post
What Drowbane said...

And Wikipedia says too ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuxia

The Use of Wushu
Although wuxia is based on true-life martial arts, the genre elevates the mastery of this art to fictitious levels of attainment. Combatants have the following skills:

<snip>
Use of objects such as sewing needles, ink brushes, benches, abaci, or musical instruments as weapons with unfailing accuracy. The sword, staff, and spear weapons are still the most commonly used by combatants.

Use of qīnggōng, or the ability to move swiftly and lightly, allowing them to scale walls, glide on waters or mount trees. This is based on real Chinese martial art practices. Real life martial art exponents practise qinggong by going through years of attaching heavy weights onto their legs. Its use, however, is greatly exaggerated in wire-fu movies where practioners appear to circumvent gravity.

Use of nèijìn or nèilì, which is the ability to control mystical inner energy (qi) and direct it for attack, defense, healing, or to attain superhuman stamina.

<snip>

IME Whenever it is mentioned in a negative way, someone is usually trying to describe one of the above.

FireLance

Legend
"Wuxia" can be roughly translated as "martial hero".

As mentioned above, a common trope in wuxia movies, television shows and novels is that skilled pratictioners of martial arts are able to perform feats that would be considered magical or supernatural in genres where the lines between fighters and wizards are more starkly drawn.

LonePaladin

Explorer
I thought it translated as "flying people" or some such. For those interested in applying it to D&D games, here's one way: grant people a jump speed. This can be done automatically (say, when a PC reaches 5th level) or as a feat (with requirements that put it above 1st level, unless you want them to start with it), or just hand it out.

How's a jump speed work? Simple. It works like a fly speed, but without maneuverability. Instead, you have to travel in a straight line (vertical movement is halved, as it is with flight). In addition, if your movement ends and you're not in a space that can support your weight (a floor, rooftop, or wall you can hold on to), you fall. Make the base speed equal to the character's base speed; perhaps a higher-level version increases this.

Granted, using this makes the Jump skill essentially useless, but how many people in wuxia films actually jump? They just seem to glide through the air, jog on walls, that sort of thing.

Hairfoot

First Post
Ah, I see.

Well, if, as some are predicting, this indicates the direction of 4E, then I can safely say aaaaaah! No, please, oh merciful God! Anything but this! The pain! The pain! Auuuuuughaarr!

Not finished.

Grawaaarghhh! Oh lord, it burns! Please stop! Have pity! No more!

A fan of wirework I am not, as you may deduce.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Wuxia ranges from "Flying People" like in Legends of Xu, to stuff like "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" to more subtle wire stuff like "Iron Monkey" which could conceivable be done by real people who are really good.

IMHO, I think it's actually pretty D&D-ish (not the other way around), because the really super stuff (like flying all around) is usually done by characters who have lived for 100s of years though magical training, while the mid level stuff is about what epic D&D characters can do.

Anyone interesting in Wuxia style RPG's should check out the Feng Shui RPG. It has surprisingly little to do with furniture arranging! :lol: It's more like Hong Kong action films (think Jackie Chan) combined with Wuxia (think Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon).

Olaf the Stout

Remove ads