• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

X-COM (updated M-W-F)

Lazybones

Adventurer
Session 25 (October 20, 2008)
Chapter 106

Note: We didn’t have a session on October 13.

It was a slow week, a respite of sorts. It was almost as if the aliens had all gone on vacation.

Alpha spent the days after the Los Angeles mission waiting for the other shoe to drop. But other than a few incursions by small craft in the Eastern Hemisphere that came and went before an intercept was possible, the board was quiet. Intel did pick up some coded transmissions between Mars and locations in France and China, but X-COM's code crackers weren't able to provide any useful data.

It was no surprise at all when China withdrew from the international consortium and announced a separate treaty with the aliens.

Everyone knew that events were building to something, but X-COM took full advantage of the lull. In the secret U.S. DoD aerospace facility, the shell of the AVENGER craft began to take form, while at HQX, research and manufacturing projects were completed, and new ones started, to ensure that when things heated up again, X-COM would be ready to respond.

The members of Alpha put their time in on the various projects, and even fit in a few training exercises to keep their skills sharp. But they had no assignments the Saturday morning that found them gathered in the small dining area just off the kitchen. The morning breakfast shift had just ended, and they were alone except for the cook, who was collecting plates and utensils for transport to the kitchen. He shot the Alphas a curious look as they lingered over their coffee, but said nothing.

Catalina grabbed her xPhone the instant it buzzed. “Now or never then?”

Vasily looked down at his own phone, which has buzzed at the same time, along with the rest of them. “Guess so,” he said.

Counselor Beauvais’s voice sounded from the speaker set into the ceiling. “Alpha Team, report to Medical Lab 1, please.”

“Now it’s official,” Catalina said, crumpling her empty cup and tossing it into the recycling bin. Behind her, Jane and Mary rose from their table, the Indian doctor figeting, nervous.

“Well, let’s go,” James said.

They met Hallorand coming out of the medical lab. “Hey, Alpha.”

“Chief,” Vasily said, with a nod.

Hallorand gave them a quick looking-over. “So, it’s the head shrinkers, eh?”

“Yeah, that or the alien head-hunters,” James said.

“I saw those chairs they brought in,” Hallorand said. “Man, I’m glad I’m not you.”

“What are they going to do to us?” Mary asked.

Hallorand tucked his thumbs into his pockets. “Well… you ever go to one of those dentists, the ones that have the 20 year old magazines in the waiting room? Well, that new lab, it feels like that.”

“Chief,” James said, “If we do get some alien psi-powers, gonna use ‘em on you for practice. Just sayin’.”

“Well, best of luck. They say everyone will have to be tested, but at least we’re not first. Especially since they ran a power conduit in there bigger than the one for Workshop 3.” He slipped past them and headed back down the corridor toward the kitchen. “If you come back with funky powers, just remember I knew you when.”

“Uh, thank you, chief,” Vasily said. He turned back toward the door to the medical lab, and hesitated, just for a moment.

“Time to have our heads shrunk for real,” Jane said, pushing past him, triggering the door mechanism. “Come on, let’s have some fun.”

The others followed.

The medical lab was quiet; there hadn’t been any more accidents that week, and without any missions, none of the field teams had sent people to the infirmary. The bulky machinery that put together the components for the X-COM medikits gurgled and whirred against one wall, and one of the surgical nurses, who was reorganizing the supply cabinets, looked up and nodded as they entered.

“Back here!” Counselor Beauvais’s voice came, through the storage room. The Alphas went through there, to the new doorway that had been installed unobtrusively on the far side of the racks of medical supplies. The door was open, and they could see a brightly lit room beyond.

They went through the door into a place that was… different wasn’t quite enough of a word. The machinery was vaguely familiar, at least in that they recognized the huge wall monitors, the banks of computer consoles, and the power conduits with LED indicators blinking happily. But there was something ominous in the three massive chair assemblies in the center of the room, which looked like a dentist’s chair melded with heavy machinery into some sort of Frankenstein’s creation. Maybe it was the apparatus of tubes, wires, and bulbous metal contraptions that hung from the ceiling, directly over the chairs. A faint hum punctuated by unpleasant clicks and whirls issued from that lurking monstrosity, which looked almost poised to collapse onto the poor unfortunates sitting in the chairs.

“Wow, those chairs look… scary,” James said.

They were so absorbed by the scenery that they didn’t notice Joan until she stepped out from a control bank along one wall of the room. “Greetings, Alpha,” she said. “You’re all here? Good.”

Stan White was there as well, kneeling on the hard tiles as he checked feeds that stretched from what looked like a medical diagnostic console. The cables meandered haphazardly across the floor before connecting with jacks in the base of the chairs. The doctor rose from his work as they entered, and shot them an almost apologetic smile before glancing over at the counselor. “I hope this works,” he said.

“We followed the schematics precisely,” Joan said.

“That’s not what I meant. I mean, maybe there are things that humans aren’t supposed to…” he trailed off.

“It will be all right,” Joan said. “Go ahead, three of you, take seats over there.”

There was a pause. “If anyone is going to be fried,” Jane finally said, “I’ll volunteer first.”

“Sounds good to me, Jane,” James said.

Joan walked over to the chairs, and started pulling back some of the wires and cables that seemed to sprout from every surface of the chair assembly. “Don’t worry about the restraints,” she said, as she helped Jane into the chair. “They are there for your own safety.”

After a muttered curse, James came forward, and got into the second chair. Stan helped him. James started to make a joke, but coughed as Stan snapped iron bands around his wrists and ankles.

Catalina moved over to one of the consoles, watching as indicators appeared showing the vital signs of Jane and James. “I wonder what this does,” she said, hovering her finger over a button.

“Hey!” Vasily said, as Joan helped him into the third chair. “Press nothing!”

“If it’s any consolation, I was tested earlier,” Joan said. “I insisted on being first. In fact, I…” she trailed off, and grabbed her throat as a strangled sound issued from her chest. Her eyes bulged, and she leaned against the chair. The others stared at her in stunned silence, but after just a second recovered and smiled at them. “Just kidding.”

Vasily let out a breath; the restraints had strained against the sudden tension he’d put on them. “Ahaha,” he said, as he forced himself to relax.

“Oh, you’re a riot, doc,” Stan said.

“Really, it’s safe,” she assured them. “The energy wavelength is less than that used by a cell phone.”

“I don’t use cells either,” Hadrian muttered. The Marine had remained near the door, watching the proceedings suspiciously.

Joan adjusted a series of small metallic panels that dropped from the top of the chairs, flanking the heads of the first three subjects. She pulled out a panel on an extensible arm and began entering commands. The array above the chairs began to hum more aggressively, and flickers of colored light began to show as indicators began to glow. “Just let your minds go blank,” Joan told them. “You don’t need to do anything. Vasily, we’ll do you first. Just relax.”

Vasily looked anything but a man with a blank mind, his hands white on the rests of the chair. There was a faint flicker of color in the air around his head, and an almost inaudible ping from the machinery, then Joan looked at her screen and smiled. “Hmm, not bad,” she said. “Definitely on the higher end of the human range.”

SERVER : [DM] Vasily Kasprjak has a Psi Potential score of 72

“What are you doing to them?” Mary asked.

“We’re only scanning, Mary,” Joan said, offering a reassuring smile as she saved the data from the scan.

“Get with the programme, Mary,” Catalina said. But she frowned as she glanced up at the heavy array looming over her companions in the chairs.

Vasily frowned as Stan came up and unhooked the restraints. “That all? But I not feel anything.”

“This is just a diagnostic,” Stan said. “The hard work… that will come later.”

Joan had already turned to Jane, shifting the console to follow her. “Okay, Jane.” The former CIA agent rested calmly in the chair, breathing quietly. Joan activated her panel, ran through the sequence again. “Impressive,” she said. “That’s higher than… well. It’s very good.”

SERVER : [DM] Jane Swift has a Psi Potential score of 98

“And Doctor Allen,” Joan said. The operation went as quickly as it had for the others, but Joan frowned as she looked at her console. “Is this… is this right?”

Stan came over to take a look. “Man. We’re going to have to raise the top end of the scale.”

SERVER : [DM] James Allen has a Psi Potential score of 108

“All of you scored well,” Joan said, as she reinitialized the scanner for the next round of tests. “You will respond well to further training.”

Catalina looked at Vasily, who rubbed his wrists as he walked away from the chair. “What am I thinking, Vas?” she asked him, with a grin.

The Russian turned to her. “You were thinking, ‘It my turn next.’”

“That’s just a good guess,” Catalina said, sticking out her tongue at him.

Mary had not taken her eyes off the chairs since entering the room. “Um… I am not feeling so well. Perhaps I should go lay down, come back later.”

Joan came over to her, took her arm. “It’s all right. It won’t hurt you. We didn’t do anything to them, just scanned their existing potential. With training… well, we’ll see.”

She and Stan got the other three into the chairs, and set up the sensors as they had before. The operations passed quickly. Joan scanned Catalina first. “Hmm,” she said, looking at the results. “Well. Perhaps with training…”

SERVER : [DM] Catalina De Farrago has a Psi Potential score of 41

“Told you, nothing gets in here,” Catalina said.

“Well, it’s not a race,” she said, although she shot a concerned look at Stan as he unfastened Catalina’s restraints.

They turned to Mary next, who sat in the chair with wide eyes, her hands fisting against the restraints. Joan finished the test quickly, and smiled at Mary when she was finished. “Ah, you might give James a run for his money,” she said.

SERVER : [DM] Mary Ranma has a Psi Potential score of 103

“Okay, I’m ready,” Mary said.

“I think they do it already,” Vasily said.

“Told you,” Stan said to Joan, as he helped the Indian doctor from her chair. “Doctors just tend to have the talent.”

They finished with Hadrian, who’d sat stonily in the chair while the others were tested. His results got a raised eyebrow from Joan, and Stan came over to look at the panel. “What? A Marine scored that high?”

SERVER : [DM] Hadrian Jones has a Psi Potential score of 100

“We done here?” Hadrian asked. As soon as Stan released his clamps, he got up and left.

“I will be contacting you with a schedule for the training,” Joan told them. “You will all be spending time here.”

“Can’t see it doing much good, counselor,” Catalina said. She was disappointed that her results hadn’t matched her companions. “Whatever it takes just isn’t there.”

“Everything is half talent, half effort,” Vasily said.

“You’d be surprised,” Joan said. “Thank you for your time. Check your in box for your training assignments.”

“Oh, James, Mary, if you wouldn’t mind stopping by the medical lab on the way out. We finished those field surgical kits you ordered, and we have the first samples of the new regenerative serum. Your work on those was quite remarkable, Mary.”

The Alphas filed out of the lab, leaving Joan alone. She remained at her control console for a moment longer, studying the results of the tests. She looked at them for a full minute, then let out a small sigh before closing the file, and touched the “Send” button.

Note: the Psi Potential Widget made rolls for the PCs, and reported the results to the DM. The roll was basically a d% to get a 1-100 result, then it added a bonus based on the subject’s INT, WIS, and CHA modifiers. If I remember correctly, the formula was d%+ 3(INT mod)+ 5(WIS mod)+3(CHA mod). I handed out amulets with benefits based on the result; anything above 50 gave a small bonus to Will saves, while results above 125 gave limited-use mental powers, like 1/day Fear or Confusion spells for use on the aliens. After this session, we integrated Psi Training into the forum game, with players getting a chance to improve their character’s Psi score on a weekly basis. And high scores enabled PCs to use the Psi Amp… but more about that later.

Vanya Mia was disappointed; I think she wanted to have Cat get into trouble using psychic powers. ;)

Vanya Mia

First Post
Yeah, I was going to have a /lot/ of fun with psych powers. Sodding D100 cramping my style. *mutter grumble* She'd taken Skill Focus in Craft Disturbing Mental Image as a feat the previous level too.

Perhaps it was best for the mental stability of the other players that the Queen of Bad Dice Rolls held on to her thrown. ;)

((Tip of the hat to Belkar, my hero.))

Richard Rawen

First Post
Good for Drake, sad for the entertainment to be had at her expense :p
The PSI aspect of the continuing campaign could prove quite useful.

The fact that China is openly now opposed to the rest of mankind is just boggling... I cannot see the populace not spiraling into full revolt at such a betrayal. Wonder if Russia or especially France will follow... or who else?

Lazybones

Adventurer
Chapter 107

“Wonder how ‘training’ going to go,” Vasily said, as he and Catalina made their way to the briefing room.

“Don’t ask me,” Catalina said. “You’re the one with super powers. Go on, what am I thinking now?”

Vasily glanced at her. “’I wish I had super powers.’”

“Would have been damn useful against the little sods, but it’s you who’ll all have to take the hits.”

“Ah, the doctors will be hitting them with minds. Rest of us, we do fine with the guns.”

They ran into James, coming from the armory. He was wearing one of the padded undersuits that went with the newly upgraded suits of Powered Armor that Grace was producing in her workshops. “Ah, they build you some proper armor?” Vasily asked him. “Wearing that blue stuff is like wearing big sign, ‘Hey aliens, shoot me.’”

“Ha ha,” James said. “Lucky for you we got a new supply of the improved medikits, so when you trip over your own big feet, we can patch you up.”

The conversation ended as they entered the briefing room. The department heads were all there, as was Agent Drake, whose expression might have been carved in ice for all the warmth it had in it. Jane and Hadrian arrived right behind the others, and took their seats as Garret stood at the table’s head, a grim look on his face.

“The slow spell has come to an end,” he reported. “We have a mission for you.”

The door hissed open again and Mary stepped in. Garret fixed her with a hard look. “Doctor Ranma. Good of you to join us.”

“Oh, was a meeting called?” she said, as she took her seat. “I apologize.”

The Director leaned forward and grabbed onto the edges of the table with his hands. “First off, I understand that there has been some acrimony over an… incident. Agent Drake has been reprimanded for the unauthorized weapons test. I consider the matter closed.”

Drake’s jaw tightened, but she didn’t respond.

Vasily shrugged. “Is all good. You want us shake hands?”

“What I’d like,” Garret said, “Is for everyone to focus on the objective. We’re entering the end game here, people. Doctor Wagner?”

Wagner activated the big screen, bringing up a view of the Earth, a slowly-spinning globe overlaid with various data and indicators that flashed red or green. “We have intercepted some intelligence regarding the alien activities in southeast Asia,” she said.

Garret said, “Using the info you captured from the alien battle computers on your last missions, we’ve been able to decrypt some of their communications. We know that the aliens are based on Mars.”

“Alien activity has been way down, worldwide,” Wagner continued. “Other than a few small ships landing in France and China, we have had almost no activity on the world map.”

“They have not spent this time idle. According to the engineer you captured, they are constructing another battleship on Mars. Grace?”

The engineer looked up from her portable computer. “We don’t know a lot about it. But from what the prisoner said, it looks like this one will be about three times the mass of the one you destroyed in Antarctica.”

“We have to be ready before them,” Catalina said.

Wagner nodded. “The Avenger craft will be ready in a few weeks. We’re doing all that we can to accelerate its construction.”

“But we can’t strike until we know more,” Garret said. “We need information. And specifically, alien commanders. We need to know exactly where the base is located, how it is defended, and how to penetrate those defenses.”

“We were thinking that we’d need to attack a base here on Earth,” Wagner said. “To capture a commander.”

“Tough mission, that,” Ken Yushi said, from his seat in the back of the room.

“Yes,” Garret said. “That is why this new intelligence is so vital.” He nodded to Wagner, who highlighted a glowing red track that descended from space, intersecting with the Earth. “We’ve learned that an alien commander is going to be coming to Earth, very soon.”

Catalina blinked. “Are we going to France or China?”

“Neither,” Garret said. “The commander is heading to China, and best of all, he’ll be flying in a Medium Scout Ship. The plan is that the Commander does not make it to his destination.”

“His destination is our Alien Containment lab,” Drake said.

“We’re going to have the Lightning waiting for the ship when it enters orbit,” Wagner said. “We’ve fitted the ship with a missile that should dampen the alien’s engines. You will disable the alien ship, force it to land, and seize the commander.

“If our information is correct,” Garret said, “The alien will be entering Earth orbit in eleven hours.”

The course I’ve plotted will have us there in nine,” Ken said. “Plenty of time.”

“The mission is straightforward,” Garret said. “Ken will force the alien down. You take the commander.”

“No shooting the commander, obviously,” Jane said.

“Your VDUs will indicate which alien is the commander,” Wagner said.

“We know the typical crew compliment of such a ship?” Hadrian asked.

Wagner brought up a schematic on the screen. The ship was familiar, a design they’d encountered several times on past missions. “The medium scouts generally only contain four to six aliens.”

Vasily stood. “Engineering crew better get on with installing new five-star room in alien containment, then.”

“Good luck,” Garret said. “If this fails, our situation gets a lot more complicated.”

“Yeah,” Drake added. “If it fails, start studying Chinese.”

Lazybones

Adventurer
Did the Alpha's ever find out how Drake was reprimanded?
I didn't get specific; sometimes it's better to leave things vague and the let the players' imaginations fill in the blanks.

Chapter 108

As was so often the case, things didn’t go quite according to plan.

The Lightning arrived on position slightly ahead of the planned time, and the alien ship appeared on the radar exactly on schedule. That was when they had the first surprise, as Ken reported over the intercom.

“Looks like a large scout, rather than a medium,” he told the Alphas. “But nothing we can’t handle. Moving to intercept.”

The alien tried to evade, but by the time that it detected the Lightning, it was too late. The missile worked perfectly, scoring a hit that damaged the alien ship’s main engines. The Lightning followed it down, but shortly after that they had their second unexpected problem.

They’d plotted the intercept as the alien came into orbit over the southern hemisphere, en route to China. The plan had been to force the alien down somewhere over Australia. But either because the ship was larger or the missile hadn’t done enough damage, the alien’s descent was slower than expected, and it veered off course, forcing Ken to goose the Lightning’s engines to keep up.

“Looks like an overshoot… we’re going to be over water in a minute…”

The Alphas shared a look; an ocean recovery was not something they were prepared for. But they got a reprieve; as the alien ship approached sea level the outline of the Great Barrier Reef became visible, and the alien headed for a small island, one of the hundreds that dotted the length of the reef system.

“Nothing in the neighborhood,” Ken reported, as they followed the alien ship down. “No need to watch your fire, except with mister VIP.”

The Alphas started preparations, as the ship tilted and descended rapidly. Catalina had some problem loading the stun launcher, but with Hadrian’s help she was able to get the bulky clip of oblong missiles fitted into the compartment in the base of the weapon.

“Everybody get ready to call out when you see the commander,” Jane said.

“Truthfully, they all look the same to me,” Mary said. “Is that racist?”

“Just check your VDU, Mary,” Jane said.

“Right, the VDU should tell you which one is the commander,” James said. He tapped the visor of his helmet, which glowed faintly green with the visual overlay. In his new armor, he looked imposing; with most of them clad in the heavy powered suits, even the generous internal bay of the Lightning felt a bit crowded.

The engine noises changed and they could feel their momentum shifting as Ken switched the Lightning over to VTOL mode. “Alien is on a sandbar NE of our position, about 200 meters,” Ken reported.

The aircraft rocked and then set down with a hollow thud. “Let’s go, kids,” James said, as the outer hatch cycled.

The disembarked onto a pristine bar of soft white sand, part of an island that barely rose out of the gentle blue expanse that stretched to the horizon in every direction. There was some lush greenery visible on the far side of the island, but where they were was merely sandbars, with only the occasional bit of driftwood to break the curving lines of beach.

“Over there,” Catalina said. The alien ship was clearly visible in the direction Ken had indicated, half-buried in a lagoon fronted by a broad curve of sand.

“No much cover,” Vasily said. “Slow, careful of water.”

They started forward, leaving deep marks in the sandbar. The fine sand would have forced them to a slow pace in any case, but they moved warily, checking for any signs of aliens. Catalina panned the motion sensor back and forth. “Nothing showing,” she said. “At least not at this range.”

“My brother Vinod dived here once,” Mary said.

“Something doesn’t feel right,” James said.

“What?” Vasily asked.

“I don’t know. Just… just a feeling.”

“Nothing showing,” Jane said, peering at the alien ship through the scope attached to her rifle.

“We need to get that commander,” Vasily began. “Keep an eye out for…”

But he was cut off as the water around the edges of the lagoon erupted, and six bulky green forms rose up into view, forming a broad half-circle facing the Alphas. Each of the six carried a heavy plasma cannon.

“It trap!” Vasily yelled, even as the first volley of energy bolts streaked into them.

Six of them? Yikes. Time to see how effective the stun launcher is against Mutons. I can't really remember from the original game. If nothing else, at least it's an area effect weapon.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Six of them? Yikes. Time to see how effective the stun launcher is against Mutons. I can't really remember from the original game. If nothing else, at least it's an area effect weapon.
Heh, the stunners didn't work all that great against mutons (nothing really did, except for the Blaster Launcher), but the Alphas had better armor this time around.

Chapter 109

There was nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. With the two groups separated by maybe twenty meters of water and sand, it was almost impossible to miss.

But the Alphas were ready, and even as the mutons started shooting, their return fire was slamming into the half-ring of green bodies. Both sides had heavy weaponry, but both likewise had the best possible protection their side offered, the Alphas with Grace’s latest generation of powered armor, the mutons their genetically-engineered hides overlaid with the bright green suits of flexible alien alloys.

Mary was knocked off her feet by a pair of blasts that bracketed her shoulders; she landed with a splash in a shallow pool of water. Jane was at her side in moments, but even as she reached for the Indian doctor, another plasma bolt exploded against her side, almost knocking her onto her fallen companion. Jane reached out and grabbed the doctor’s shoulder. “Mary, back up!”

“Fall back to the Lightning!” Vasily yelled over the chatter of his autocannon as he bored armor-piercing shells into the chest of the nearest muton. The alien simply absorbed the blasts, but several rounds struck its cannon, rendering it inoperable. The alien dropped the useless gun and reached down to its hip; the green suit split to reveal a fat vibroblade, which began to hum as soon as it grasped the hilt.

Catalina fired the stun launcher, scoring a direct hit on one of the mutons. The alien absorbed the full effect of the discharge, but it merely swayed for a few seconds, slightly dazed, before it resumed firing. The stun bomb had some minor lingering effect, throwing off the alien’s aim; its first two shots went high, the heavy cannon jerking unsteadily in the muton’s hands.

Catalina loaded another bomb into the firing mechanism, but another muton blasted her in the hip, and she was spun around by the impact, falling into the sand, the launcher flying out of her grasp to land a few feet away. “Argh!” she yelled, reaching for her plasma pistol.

The alien lowered its aim to finish her off, but before it could fire again it was blasted by a bolt from Hadrian’s plasma cannon. The bolt impacted it in the forehead, and for a moment its face was enveloped in a white-hot cloud of superheated gas. When the explosion faded the alien’s head was a blackened mess of char, and yet somehow the alien not only stayed standing, but it kept shooting. Fortunately its blind shots missed the Alphas, although one blast cleared Vasily’s head by scant inches, sizzling as it flashed past him.

The Alphas gave ground, Jane helping Mary to her feet, while James did the same for Catalina. Plasma bolts struck Hadrian and Vasily, but the heavily armored soldiers withstood the impacts, grunting as the heat of the explosions seared them through both through the armored plates and the insulated suits they wore under them. Mary drew out her pistol and tried to draw a bead on an alien, her armor grinding as she tried to steady herself.

“Mary, stay behind us!” Hadrian yelled at her, blasting a muton as it shifted its aim back toward her. Once again he hit, boring a black hole into the emerald armor covering its chest. Once again the alien remained standing, and it fired back, striking the Marine in the leg, knocking him down roughly to one knee. Hadrian snarled and shot the muton almost on top of the initial point of impact, driving the hot plasma into its body cavity, a bright flare that finally took it out.

James was hit in the shoulder, and both he and Catalina fell, the doctor’s heavy armor gouging a deep pit in the soft sand. He lined up a shot from his back, and struck the alien that had shot him in the groin. The mutons seemed to have no vulnerable parts of their anatomy, however, and the alien fired again, its shot striking the sand near James’s head, close enough to flash over the visor of his helmet, leaving one side of it streaked with black.

Vasily continued to pour rounds into the alien closing on him, the bullets carving gouts in its armored torso. It kept on coming, but the loose sand slowed it, and the sheer force of Vasily’s barrage kept it from finding stable footing. It got to within five paces before it faltered, stumbling to one knee, still clutching the deadly vibroblade in its hand. Vasily screamed at it as he unleashed the last rounds in his magazine at it, the barrels of his cannon glowing bright red as smoke hissed from the mechanism of the weapon. He slammed the release and dropped the weapon, unholstering his plasma pistol in the same motion, looking for the next target.

But the battle was already done. The mutons had absorbed a massive amount of firepower, but even they could only absorb so much punishment. Two others had discharged their power cells fully, and instead of stopping to reload, had simply started moving forward, taking out vibroblades as they’d come. They fell only seconds after Vasily’s foe finally toppled forward, their bodies blasted into wreckage by the firepower of the Alphas.

“Reload!” Vasily yelled, as Hadrian, beside him, calmly did just that. “Stay sharp.”

Catalina grimaced as she rose, rubbing at her charred flank. “Any other funny feelings, doc?” she asked James, who took off his helmet and reached for his medical satchel as he rolled over into an awkward crouch. His heavy armor had already dug a small trench in the sand, and more of it went flying as he moved.

“I feel like you’re thinking naughty thoughts,” James returned.

“Trust me, only ones concerning burying six feet under,” Catalina said, extending a hand to help him to his feet. Jane was helping Mary, who’d absorbed the most punishment during the brief battle, but seemed to be intact. Her armor groaned as she moved, but there was nothing they could do about that now.

“Allen?” Vasily asked. “You sense anything?”

James shook his head. “Nothing right now, I guess.”

“Come on,” Vasily said. “They probably trying to fix engines right now.” He started trudging through the sand toward the damaged ship. Hadrian followed after him.

The ship hadn’t moved since their arrival, and the gentle surges within the lagoon continued to wash over its half-buried hull. Vasily poked at a long gash in the ship’s side, while Hadrian moved to the hatch at the rear of the craft. Vasily started after him, as the Marine worked the mechanism and opened the doorway.

The interior of the large scout was a familiar format, and Hadrian could see directly down the main corridor, which was flanked by bulky pods that seemed to be attached directly to the interior of the hull. Their purpose was obvious as the pods were open, revealing recesses roughly the shape and size of a muton soldier. The main compartment of the craft had been streamlined to make room for the pods, and even from the entry Hadrian could see the bright glow of the Elerium storage pods forward, in between a pair of consoles that jutted out into the central space, like claws.

In the narrow space that led into the control compartment, he could see the pilot, a sectoid, which jerked as it lifted its plasma pistol, not at Hadrian, but at the source of the blue glow.

“Oh, sh—” Hadrian began, lifting his weapon, knowing it was too late even before the alien fired.

The explosion flashed around him, flaring down the central corridor of the ship, shooting him out the open hatch like a bullet from the barrel of a gun.

Remove ads