D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide errata coming

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
DM: "Sorry, Healing Spirit has been changed. It doesn't work that way any more."
Player: "Nope. I've got an original copy of Xanathar's. See?"

Not at my table. Those tables run by Alice Bob Cindy & David don't allow that nonsense either because we all agree to use the errata'd version.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
While technically true, a single piece of paper will damage the spine less than opening the book once.
But having it chronically and forever there makes it worse than opening the book.

This is not correct. For example, from the DMG:

It's even listed as a new subsection.

Many other sections redo who paragraphs and/or add new paragraphs, like Ranger Companion in the PHB. And there are equivalent rules changes, such as to Contagion.

Like I said, I have later printings of the books. (Ok, I don't have the DMG yet, I haven't made it a priority and whenever I've saved enough for it something else more exciting comes along. Last time it was Unsanctioned).

Zardnaar

Legend
That's because nobody plays 1e compared to the amount of books out there. They used library grade bindings. The books last longer than their owners. Also, you only need one DMG, and digital printings are available.

The D&D stuff that's worth lots had small print runs.

I think a prerelease one signed and dated by Gygax is the most valuable one and it's still worth less than say OD&D boxed set in good condition.

Essafah

Explorer
maybe they will finally accept responsibility & issue errata for spells like heat metal & tiny hut in an updated phb errata too

Those spells are fine. Seems like 5E has a vocal contingent of the OSR crowd who wants D&D to be like it was in the 70s when PCs died several times a session and were completely hosed down as far as healing and spell usage, etc. It wasn't fun back then especially when other games came along which was why house rules existed to make healing more amenable, and playing OSR style D&D is not something a lot of people want to do now. I hope the changes in Xanathar's do not go too far in taking the fun out of the game

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Those spells are fine. Seems like 5E has a vocal contingent of the OSR crowd who wants D&D to be like it was in the 70s when PCs died several times a session and were completely hosed down as far as healing and spell usage, etc. It wasn't fun back then especially when other games came along which was why house rules existed to make healing more amenable, and playing OSR style D&D is not something a lot of people want to do now. I hope the changes in Xanathar's do not go too far in taking the fun out of the game
no, those spells are absurd and the problems of them are well known

Zardnaar

Legend

Nothing to do with OSR.

Xanathars is out of whack power creep. Healing Spirit is just the worst offender.

Essafah

Explorer
Nothing to do with OSR.

Xanathars is out of whack power creep. Healing Spirit is just the worst offender.

But it is more of an OSR style thinking. The whole "power creep" notion....players like having options that adds power sets to their characters. I and many people enjoy playing heroes that are not just average Joe's that decided to go adventuring but are heroes above the average person who maybe born lowly as a urchin or whatever but whose dreams coupled with their above average abilities makes them destined for greatness. OSR games was a constant struggle where PCs died in droves during 1st sessions, spellcasters had to run out of spells and use xbows. Some people like that and some people don't.. I personally would like to see the cinematic action abilities of PCa in 5E increase not decrease and as a sometimes GM I have no problem with this.

Zardnaar

Legend
But it is more of an OSR style thinking. The whole "power creep" notion....players like having options that adds power sets to their characters. I and many people enjoy playing heroes that are not just average Joe's that decided to go adventuring but are heroes above the average person who maybe born lowly as a urchin or whatever but whose dreams coupled with their above average abilities makes them destined for greatness. OSR games was a constant struggle where PCs died in droves during 1st sessions, spellcasters had to run out of spells and use xbows. Some people like that and some people don't.. I personally would like to see the cinematic action abilities of PCa in 5E increase not decrease and as a sometimes GM I have no problem with this.

OSR has nothing to do with it. HS is out of whack with the other 5E healing spells.

It's better than a decent Paladin spell that's a level higher and can't be acquired until level 9.

5E is ready easy mode that ship sailed long ago. HS is just an iceberg.

I won't be allowing either version in the game. I had already informed the group it's goneburger next campaign.

Not that it really matters. Next campaign is probably goneburger.

Remove ads