D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide errata coming

Ashrym

Legend
Yes. I meant to say Aura of Vitality.

As written there is no reason I can see a class with healing spells to take this over healing word or cure wounds or goodberry, etc. This is especially true for what I call subcaster classes and by this I mean classes like the ranger and paladin

Because healing word cannot target multiple PC's and does less healing in the same slot. Healing word in a 2nd level slot at 3rd level heals 8 hp for one bonus action. Healing spirit at 3rd level heals 14 hp split over multiple targets. That's not a hard choice.

Cure wounds heals 12 hp on one target for an action. That's not a hard choice.

That's assuming 16 ability score. At 4th level (18 ability) healing word and cure wounds adds a point in healing while healing spirit adds 3 because it gains a use.

Compared to aura of vitality in the same slot it's the same rate of healing for healing spirit but with the option for multiple targets and without the action to cast and bonus action cost every round aura of vitality has. The ability mod number of uses is the only benefit aura of vitality has.

If the toned down version of healing spirit is "nigh useless" so are the alternatives, except tge would have to have been regardless of changes to healing spirit.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
But it is more of an OSR style thinking. The whole "power creep" notion....players like having options that adds power sets to their characters. I and many people enjoy playing heroes that are not just average Joe's that decided to go adventuring but are heroes above the average person who maybe born lowly as a urchin or whatever but whose dreams coupled with their above average abilities makes them destined for greatness. OSR games was a constant struggle where PCs died in droves during 1st sessions, spellcasters had to run out of spells and use xbows. Some people like that and some people don't.. I personally would like to see the cinematic action abilities of PCa in 5E increase not decrease and as a sometimes GM I have no problem with this.
The problem with power creep is that it forces players to buy the latest D&D book in order to keep up with their friends, who are using the new spells and abilities to build stronger, better characters. If you multiply this effect over multiple books (as in 3E, for example), then eventually you reach a point where no one can get into the game without investing tons of time and money into it first. Pretty much all previous editions have reached that point, and it required the release of a new edition to fix.

Then there's the problem with encounter scaling. With enough power creep, players can steamroll older content designed for weaker characters. Similarly, players coming into the game and designing base-line characters will get destroyed in newer adventures designed for more powerful builds. And new DMs won't know how to fix the problem, if they even recognize what it is.

Ultimately, power creep sucks. It directly leads to the death of a game. If 5E is going to be the evergreen edition, as was intended, then it must avoid power creep at all costs.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I've had errata come up one time at my 5e tables, It went like this. "even the errata says class level not character level for invocations, it would be ridiculous otherwise & this discussion is over bob."
View attachment 120348

I get the feeling that the reason people are arguing against errata is because they covet abusing the loopholes that would be fixed
Or we are DMs who have been using stuff as it was first written without any issues whatsoever.

Ashrym

Legend
You actually CAN precast Prayer of Healing and time it to go off during combat. Usually by kicking open the door to the next room a round or two before the spell is supposed to go off. If there is nothing dangerous in the room then you can just abort the spell and start over without wasting any spell slots.

This does have the disadvantage of making you less than stealthy, since you're constantly chanting.
Because clerics start a 10 minute spell 9.8 minutes before they know they need to heal and skip any other action in the meantime?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Yeah, great. Meanwhile, there are plenty of DMs who use all errata literally because it’s RAW.

Changingn things to cater to those too worried about power gamers and “exploits” is bad design.
as opposed to now where Andy changes these spells in one way, Beth just bans them outright, Chuck changes them a different way, Dawn bans some of them, Edward Bans this one but changes the rest like so, and Francine bans a different set than Dawn.

The current status of ignoring the spells that slipped through the cracks is bad design that causes needless complexity & confusion to cater to a few munchkins and people who express faux-confusion over how to handle the existence of errata rather than giving an updated version that all six of those gm's could standardize around.

Remove ads