• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Yer candidate for the monster on 5th MM1

Plissken

Explorer
Something like this (my favorite D&D illustration ever):

Classic+Dungeons+&+Dragons.jpg

FireLance

Legend
that would have been a great 4th edition cover.
Nah, 4e would have had five orcs, one for each member of a standard party: one orc smasher Brute, one orc bodyguard Soldier, one orc scout Skirmisher, one orc archer Artillery, one orc shaman Controller (Leader), and they would be guarding a treasure parcel. :p

Yes, I can poke fun at an edition I like, too. ;)

frankthedm

First Post
Dragon, but if they show the fighter blocking dragon breath with a shield, then the rules better ****ing let a shield block dragon breath!

Personally I don't think 5E should have a Monster Manual in the classic sense.

I'd prefer to see a boxed set approach where Levels 1-5, 6-10, 11-20, 21-30 and 31-50 have their own DM rules portion, player portion and monster portion.

However, I think the key to an iconic cover is in illustrating an encounter in progress. So it should feature a PC (or PCs) actually doing something (not posing for the 'camera') and a location. The scene may also feature monsters fighting the PCs (or it might just be a trapped room or wondrous location).

Assuming the core rulebooks are released in the same fashion as 4E (which I don't advocate)

- Players Handbook: Group of PCs having just slain a dragon.
- Dungeon Master's Guide: A Dragon having just slain a bunch of PCs (or certainly in the process of slaying them)
- Monster Manual: Group of PCs battling against Demodragon.

However I do prefer the boxed set approach.

- Red Box: Large dragon attacking a mounted Knight and four other iconic PCs.
- Green Box: Huge lightning-spitting dracolich attacking the five iconic PCs. One of the five PCs is trapped within its ribcage.
- Blue Box: Demodragon attacking a castle, while the iconic PCs try to repel it.
- Black Box: Tiamat (about 300 feet tall) being attacked by the five iconic PCs who are flying around her (like a dogfight) all mounted on gold dragons.
- Gold Box: Draeden (with dragon-headed tentacles) attacking a planet while the iconic PCs fight the monster in space.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
A warden of Al-mi'raj facing off against a troop of flumph. A wolf-in-sheep's-clothing stands defiantly in the center, tentacles flailing.

Zireael

Explorer
Why have a Monster Manual at all? Monsters are not all that is to D&D.

On topic - mind flayer, drow or a dragon would be my choices. Or all three at once! :devil:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads