D&D Movie/TV (Yet another) D&D Movie Speculation thread.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Well, there's a major difference other than "market". The very form of the property is different.

For superheroes, the base and central unit is the hero, the character - Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, etc. When we say "D&D movie" the first thing we think of isn't an iconic character, but a more generalized experience of a game in which the audience is a major creator of the experience.

And that's a real problem for a movie. We automatically lose the central aspect of D&D - the audience-as-creator. And we don't have a stock of well-established characters to focus on instead. So, the D&D property doesn't actually give what you need for a successful movie - characters. It gives a bit of marketing cache if applied properly, but doesn't otherwise bring the important things to the table.

IMHO.

I agree completely.

Furthermore, I think that marketing the movie as "a Dungeons and Dragons movie" is attractive to fans, but not to mass audiences, do you agree?

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
1. Drow are problematic for most audiences. Even if animated through the use of CGI, it would be awkward for most people to see a race of dark-skinned, predominately evil humanoids depicted on screen. One way to negate this might be to enhance the inhuman nature of the Drow, emphasizing their Elven qualities to an extreme.

I think that could be solved by giving them non-human skin tones, more like WOW night elves than the traditional jet-black drow. If they're shades of violet and deep blue, they probably avoid hitting the 'oh, so black people are evil' stereotype or otherwise getting mixed up in real-world human racial issues. IMO that distingusihes drow from the surface races better now that D&D's core backstory doesn't just ignore the existence of anyone darker than 'middle eastern'. In the old days, elves were just assumed to be basically white guys unless they were drow; it was never explicitly in the rules, but finding art of a high elf with dark skin and short, curly hair from before 1990 is going to take some effort. Now that the game explicitly rejects the idea that 'white guys are the basis for human-like fantasy races', drow that are just dark-skinned don't really stand out like they used to.

Better solution: don't feature any Drow. It's not like they are common anyway.

While they're said to be rare, aren't they all over the place in published materials? It would be kind of weird to cut them out if they're using a published setting where they're common in the major characters like Forgotten Realms.

Changing sexes was always a thing in D&D: belt of masculinity/femininity. I had, not one, but two characters put on these cursed belts. I suppose, in modern fantasy, it would no longer be considered a curse. It could even be a quest item.

There have been plenty of D&D movies and they all sucked. I'd love to see one that had a plot. Has anyone read some of the Story Hour stories on this board? There are some amazing ones. Pay one of the authors for the story.

Thing is, Game of Thrones has already given everyone their Fantasy fix with an actual good story. So, it might just feel like more of the same schtick. In any case, The challenge is to wrap it up in to several movies instead of a series. But a series would be pretty awesome too.

generic

No, the challenge is to make something that can be milked as a wildly successful franchise for as long as possible - regardless of actual quality. (Ex: Fast & the Furious)

I would rather have a "good" movie that made little money than a "bad" movie that made lots.

However, I'm not WotC and Hasbro would agree...

generic

[/COLOR]

I think that could be solved by giving them non-human skin tones, more like WOW night elves than the traditional jet-black drow. If they're shades of violet and deep blue, they probably avoid hitting the 'oh, so black people are evil' stereotype or otherwise getting mixed up in real-world human racial issues. IMO that distingusihes drow from the surface races better now that D&D's core backstory doesn't just ignore the existence of anyone darker than 'middle eastern'. In the old days, elves were just assumed to be basically white guys unless they were drow; it was never explicitly in the rules, but finding art of a high elf with dark skin and short, curly hair from before 1990 is going to take some effort. Now that the game explicitly rejects the idea that 'white guys are the basis for human-like fantasy races', drow that are just dark-skinned don't really stand out like they used to.

Good proposition.

I've seen many players make violet-skinned or dark-grey skinned Drow characters recently.

Remove ads