You are all GODS!!

GlassEye

Adventurer
SRD said:
Spontaneous Casting: A deity of rank 1 or higher who has levels in a divine spellcasting class can spontaneously cast any spell it can grant.

Maybe I'm being thick-headed. What exactly does this mean?

Shayuri

First Post
Basically any printed Cleric spell + all your domain spells are usable as if you were a Sorcerer who picked them.

IF you have levels in a divine casting class.

For example, Silhouette is a level 3 druid. She can use her druid spellcasting slots to cast any druid spell (of the levels she has access to) without preparing them in advance. She's sort of a "druid sorceror."

If you don't have levels in a class that can cast divine spells, this feature doesn't affect you, because you don't have divine spell slots with which to cast divine spells spontaneously.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Ok. Ubariya is a Cleric 3. She can grant cleric, ranger, & domain spells so she could spontaneously cast those cleric, ranger, or domain spells as her cleric level spells? I suppose this is one of those odd quirks of the way we are advancing our class levels in that she can grant spells but not cast them herself yet. Normally a deity would have 20 levels of a divine spellcasting class and this oddity wouldn't surface. It's kinda weird but I'm ok with it.

Shayuri

First Post
She can spontaneously cast cleric spells, because she has cleric levels.

She can grant ranger spells, but not cast them, because she hasn't got ranger levels.

And yes, you could meet a priest of yours who can cast spells you can't. :)

Myth and Legend

First Post
We'll we're trying to balance things out and make HM's job barely manageble instead of impossible. Kelemvor was a non-Epic NPC prior to his ascension to Godhood, at which point he got 30 or so character levels in an instant.

What bothers me is that this is supposed to be a dual progression but it's not, and we will end up lelvel ing twice as fast but with 1/2 the actual feats and ability bonuses we are entitled to (because we would get those if we went 1-20 and then another 1-20 instead of 2 - 40)

Shayuri

First Post
We're not getting half the feats and ability bonuses we're entitled to.

Look at Silhouette, she's a level 26 character, though her ECL is higher due to the divine template and so on. She has all the feats and ability score adjustments a level 26 character is entitled to. It doesn't matter if you get those 6 levels over 20 one at a time, or two at a time. You still wind up at 26.

Remove ads