D&D 5E You Can Now Get Minis For The D&D Combat Wheelchair

The combat wheelchair rules designed by Sara Thompson now have miniatures! And part of the proceeds go to charity. The minis were designed by Russ Charles, who sculpted minis for Cats & Catacombs, Dungeons & Doggies, and others. There are four miniatures, each in a combat wheelchair -- human druid, tiffing cleric, dwarf barbarians and elf rogue. They're being produced by Strata Miniatures...

The combat wheelchair rules designed by Sara Thompson now have miniatures! And part of the proceeds go to charity.

combat_wheelchair_minis.jpg

The minis were designed by Russ Charles, who sculpted minis for Cats & Catacombs, Dungeons & Doggies, and others. There are four miniatures, each in a combat wheelchair -- human druid, tiffing cleric, dwarf barbarians and elf rogue. They're being produced by Strata Miniatures, and you can get physical metal or resin minis, or you can get 3D printer files.

A quarter of the proceeds go to the charity Ehlers-Danlos Support UK. So you can get something awesome and do something good at the same time!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Sometimes homophobia is just homophobia.

Fear of being attracted to goodlooking men, or fear of how others might react if one shows interest in goodlooking men.
Your mind reading attempt failed. The OBVIOUS issue is the blatant sexism that the minis for the female PCs have to be attractive.

Let’s leave the mentalism acts to the pros in the future.

Sunsword

Adventurer
It's understandable, because all those things are fantasy of which we have no actual real world experience to judge, but a wheelchair people have real world experience with, they know the wheels need turning by hands normally to make it move, that they have trouble with stairs, etc.

Hence you need to explain how it would work practically or through magical means to off set the real world knowledge that wheelchair just don't move by themselves.

Personally I love the miniatures, they are really dynamic, I particularly like the wheel of daggers for the rogue.

Respectfully, no you don't. If you have someone who wants a wheelchair in your game let them move about just like any other PC it won't break the game.

Sunsword

Adventurer
In a magitech world with trains and sentient robots the magic wheelchair is a no-brainer. In a medieval world where the farmers still plow the fields with animals and potions are precious, it's out of place.

Overall, I'd say the magical wheelchair is roughly as universal as a ninja. Cool with lot's of RP potential. But there's a reason you don't see them in every campaign. Also, it's much easier to handwave the problems away if you slide more towards the gamist side of things, as opposed to the simulationist side.

I understand what you are saying, but if a player wants to be in a wheel chair why nitpick over it? Characters in D&D can take multiple attacks with lethal weapons, they can fly, they can make a Wish, they can resurrect the dead. I just don't think this is the biggest gotcha moment of this genre. Just my 2 cents.

Bagpuss

Legend
Respectfully, no you don't. If you have someone who wants a wheelchair in your game let them move about just like any other PC it won't break the game.

Oh totally, but if you just have it as a normal wheelchair it is gonna mess with your sense of disbelief the first time they encounter a stairs. You need some sort of explanation, as we all know wheels don't handle stairs well in the real world, even if you hand-wave it and say it's magic, it hovers up/down like a Dalek.

Of course there then becomes questions about "Well can it hover over difficult terrain, or over lava?"

Some DM's will be happy to hand-wave stuff and just say it is only a cosmetic difference and you get treated exactly like you could walk ('cos it is magic), and some players will be happy with that. Others (players and DMs) will want some sort of houserules than mean there is a difference (like the ones presented) so that it adds some mechanical flavour, otherwise you might as well just be walking.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Is there really a significant number of people confined to a wheelchair who want to pretend to be somebody else confined to a wheelchair?

Does it matter? The minis are there for those who want them, and there are people who want them, is my view of this. How many? I'm not losing sleep over that, like I'm not losing sleep over how many are in the market for a set of Blood Angels Terminator Assault Squad marines from Games Workshop.

It's an option someone thought worthwhile to produce. Like everything else.

Remove ads

Remove ads