D&D (2024) You get to just push the 5th level version button!

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
"There are some spells that just become too powerful if you get to just push the 5th level version button" -Crawdford in packet7 announce video

1694113187623.png

1694113105502.png
So when is wotc going to start with that since it's obviously not packet7 as implied? /because packet7 seems to make that
1694113278172.png

1694113294945.png

Since short rests are still almost impossible to fail given persistence & there is no bar needed to meet for taking one I look forward to wotc starting to focus on GM "pain points" & maybe doing something about just pushing the 5th level version over & over again.

Remathilis

Legend
"There are some spells that just become too powerful if you get to just push the 5th level version button" -Crawdford in packet7 announce video

So when is wotc going to start with that since it's obviously not packet7 as implied? /because packet7 seems to make that
Since short rests are still almost impossible to fail given persistence & there is no bar needed to meet for taking one I look forward to wotc starting to focus on GM "pain points" & maybe doing something about just pushing the 5th level version over & over again.
The reference is to the fact that the warlock spell list is mostly crap with a few gems that you will spam repeatedly. Which is the warlock's flavor: find the best option and just do it repeatedly until profit.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
The reference is to the fact that the warlock spell list is mostly crap with a few gems that you will spam repeatedly. Which is the warlock's flavor: find the best option and just do it repeatedly until profit.
Even if it's a "mostly crap" or one of those "few gems". spamming 3-4 5th level spells every fight or two when those spells are designed under the assumption that a caster probably only gets 1-2 per long rest is pretty OTT. Also warlock gets stuff like EB & invocations to make up for their low level gap in spellcasting but at higher levels they still have those things even after the gap is inverted (some even still improving).

Wotc is designing packet7 high level warlock as if they are still low level warlocks rather than high level ones with high level warlock abilities. Heck, they even went back to the 2014 EB scaling by character level. That's noteworthy in this case because they even acknowledged the power of repeatedly mashing a button for the 5th level version of a spellin the video announcing it

mamba

Legend
Wotc is designing packet7 high level warlock as if they are still low level warlocks rather than high level ones with high level warlock abilities. Heck, they even went back to the 2014 EB scaling by character level. That's noteworthy in this case because they even acknowledged the power of repeatedly mashing a button for the 5th level version of a spellin the video announcing it
Playtests 1 to 5 were when improvements were denied, 6 and up are for actually making things worse

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)

That was an explanation for why warlocks with Pact Magic need their own spell list instead of a shared Arcane spell list. He was literally saying those spells that are too powerful if you just get to push the 5th level button aren’t on the Warlock spell list.
Knowing Crawford, his judgement is going to be absolutely appalling, and there will be plenty of spells where you do get to push a very powerful "5th level button", and a bunch of spells excluded which don't even upgrade with levels.

Weiley31

Legend
I still think having Pact Magic+the previous Warlock Half-Cast spell slots method wouldn't be broken/OP.

And while Magical Cunning is a bit of a step in the right direction, I think it needs to have a couple of more uses instead of a 1 use then Long Rest type deal. (I don't know, that's just me).

Like maybe your half of what your Proficiency Score is. So, when your Proficiency score is at 4, you can use Magical Cunning twice.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I dunno... I've always felt like if you go into playing a Warlock you are doing so under the expressed idea that you aren't meant to have the full power of spellcaster, you are this variant type-- one where you get these 'at-will' magics through your Invocations in addition to a couple powerful spells every short rest. That's the schtick. To want more and more spells to cast (because apparently the cantrips and invocations aren't enough) it makes me wonder why a person would be playing a Warlock in the first place? If they want more spells... just play a different class?

Horwath

Legend
I still think having Pact Magic+the previous Warlock Half-Cast spell slots method wouldn't be broken/OP.

And while Magical Cunning is a bit of a step in the right direction, I think it needs to have a couple of more uses instead of a 1 use then Long Rest type deal. (I don't know, that's just me).

Like maybe your half of what your Proficiency Score is. So, when your Proficiency score is at 4, you can use Magical Cunning twice.
it could work if they doubled down on mystic arcanum invocation.

I.E.

Mystic arcanum 1, requires level 1.
learn one 1st level spell from sorcerer, warlock or wizard spell list.
Gain one 1st level slot.

Mystic arcanum 2, requires level 3.
learn one 2nd level spell from sorcerer, warlock or wizard spell list.
Gain one 2nd level slot.

Mystic arcanum 3, requires level 5.
learn one 3rd level spell from sorcerer, warlock or wizard spell list.
Gain one 3rd level slot.

Mystic arcanum 4, requires level 7.
learn one 4th level spell from sorcerer, warlock or wizard spell list.
Gain one 4th level slot.

Mystic arcanum 5, requires level 9.
learn one 5th level spell from sorcerer, warlock or wizard spell list.
Gain one 5th level slot.

Mystic arcanum 6, requires level 11.
learn one 6th level spell from sorcerer, warlock or wizard spell list.
Gain one 6th level slot.

Mystic arcanum 7, requires level 13.
learn one 7th level spell from sorcerer, warlock or wizard spell list.
Gain one 7th level slot.

Mystic arcanum 8, requires level 15.
learn one 8th level spell from sorcerer, warlock or wizard spell list.
Gain one 8th level slot.

Mystic arcanum 9, requires level 17.
learn one 9th levelspell from sorcerer, warlock or wizard spell list.
Gain one 9th level slot.

Remove ads