D&D 5E Your favorite campaign you've never run

Tony Vargas

Legend
I always wanted to run a science-fiction game in which the PCs start alone on a spaceship with no memory of their previous lives.

Then I watched season 1 of Dark Matter and was like, "Dammit! Stole my idea..."
When I watched that show, I kept thinking, this is kinda a good show, but it'd be an even better game.

G

Guest 6801328

I've always wanted the Ravenloft that wasn't: I loved loved loved I6 when it came out and was super-excited for the campaign, but a bunch of little micro-domains, all of them very different, wasn't really what I was envisioning. I wanted a continent-sized Barovia. So I still yearn for that, either to DM or play.

The other thing I've always wanted is a world that consists entirely of islands. Nautical/pirate themed, of course. Relatively low-magic. D&D probably isn't even the right system for it.

Dorian_Grey

First Post
I've always wanted the Ravenloft that wasn't: I loved loved loved I6 when it came out and was super-excited for the campaign, but a bunch of little micro-domains, all of them very different, wasn't really what I was envisioning. I wanted a continent-sized Barovia. So I still yearn for that, either to DM or play.

The other thing I've always wanted is a world that consists entirely of islands. Nautical/pirate themed, of course. Relatively low-magic. D&D probably isn't even the right system for it.

Funny you should say that, I'm working on a campaign world that is EXACTLY that. I haven't finalized the mapping yet, but the general premise is that a world is being overrun by the undead. Vampires and liches lead massive armies of ghouls, skeletons, and zombies -- as well as shadows, wraiths, etc. Most of the clerics are dead, the gods are badly injured so on and so forth. The last remnants of living civilization have created a final barrier between themselves and the undead but all they've done is bought months, not a life line.

As a final measure, a massive gate is opened in the bay of the final city and the remaining survivors flee on ships and rafts - some cobbled together from the very buildings that made the city. As the last ship leaves the remaining defenders activate a doomsday device to destroy the world. A flash of light is all that they see as the gate collapses.

Essentially refugees in a completely new world, they look quickly for a place to stay and find an archipelago. They find a large island and a safe bay, and settle in Refuge Port (which is the name of the campaign setting)!

5Shilling

Explorer

I love that kind of thing too, and built my 4E campaign world along those lines - a whole world of archipelagos inspired mostly by the Voyages of Sinbad and the Earthsea novels - plus Celtic mythology and classical civilisations (and of course plenty of pirates - https://infinite-isles.obsidianportal.com/ in case you're interested).

I will at some point get around to converting to 5E I hope, but first I want to run a Ravenloft campaign, and I'm also writing a holy crusades/wild west horror mashup setting just because I had to get it out of my head :)

I think the first campaign setting I created but never got to run was also heavily based on Celtic mythology, and set in an alternate history. The first adventure had no magic and was set in Britain in 1BC; the PCs goal was to re-open the link to the Otherworld, bringing back magic to the world along with elves and dwarfs and the rest. Fast forward 1000 years and the world has changed considerably and adventurers were needed to deal with monsters appearing in the wake of a plague of magic (this was many years before the spellplague of Forgotten Realms - I wrote this setting with the 1991 TSR Black Box rules).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Three other campaigns of note for me:

1) I always wanted to run a campaign set in Clive Barker's Imagica.

2) I had done significant work towards modeling M:tG critters & Mana rules for a fantasy game in HERO. But nobody in my current group but me digs HERO.

3) I have run 2 superhero campaigns in a Jules Vernian/HG Wellsian/Space:1889 type setting. The first group loved it in HERO. The second group hated it in M&M. I think I understand why one worked and one didn't, and I'd love a chance to try it again.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I considered am "Age" based game, where the world had various eras: the Age of Dragons, the Age of Conflict, the Age of Peace, the Age of Adventure, etc. But each Age wasn't applied retroactively to an era, but applied to a century at the start of that Age. At the heart of the world (or something) was the Throne of Ages, and whomever sat on it at the appropriate time could name the upcoming age, subtly changing the world, natural events, and the mindset of people.
The current age (Prosperity) would have been ending and entering an intra-Age period of chaos where elements of all the previous ages overlapped and people were unfocused. Meanwhile, various factions would be setting out to find the Throne of Ages and name the next age to be favourable to them and their faction.

That's pretty neat. I had a half-baked idea like this but instead of an "age" it was anachronistic technology. This strange order of monk would, every century, give out these technological items that were completely out of place with the times - like say romans with cell phones. Each change of technology (without their support, the "old" tech items would soon fail) would usher big changes - not only would the new item enable all sorts of things, *but* the lost of the old item would cause significant loss: an empire too reliant on the tech (say, the cellphone) would suddenly have difficulties if this tech that was a cornerstone of their society was gone.

I never did it because it was just too contrived

Pants

First Post
I've had a couple but I can only think of two at the moment.

1) A city-based intrigue-filled mystery game. The characters are strangers from all walks of life when they find out that they've been willed the old office of the "famous" adventurer/investigator/detective, Victor DeMoros, who recently disappeared without a trace. The game would revolve around uncovering what exactly happened to Victor, working with or against the various guilds and power players that run the city, and running afoul of secret cults, thieves guilds, and other organizations planning something very big for the city. I was originally planning to run it in Pathfinder but it's pretty much system neutral. I had an idea of creating background cards that would have small mechanical bonuses while helping to inform just who the characters were before play starts.

2) A sci-fi game using d20 Modern or an updated version using adapted Pathfinder rules. The players are members of a deep space terraforming team setting out for a distant planet on several large ships. The trip is several months long so the players (and much of the crew) enter deep sleep/cryo sleep/whatever for much of the journey. They wake up to the sounds of the ship exploding all around them. SOMETHING has happened and the players have to figure out what exactly that is. The ship has been compromised, much of the crew is dead, those that aren't can't be trusted, and the defense systems have been turned against the players, meaning they have to deal with robotic guards, turrets, and the other defense mechanisms still active. The players come to find out that not only is the present state of their ship due to one of the other ships in the convoy firing upon them but that they've already been to the planet they were setting out for, they actually spent several months there, but for some unknown reason, they let and the players have no memory of these events at all. The players have to uncover these mysteries while being stranded out in deep space with a ship that is on the verge of falling apart, an unknown assailant out there somewhere, and no idea of who to actually trust.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon

Remove ads