• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Your favorite campaign you've never run

Just for fun--and to get back to discussing cool ideas, as a break from some of the rules arguments... ;)

Describe your favorite idea for a D&D (or related/similar game) campaign that you'd really like to run, but have never had the chance. :)

Dorian_Grey

First Post
This is a genius topic.

Honestly? 2e AD&D Dragon Mountain. I would LOVE to run that. Sadly my box set of it got destroyed in a flood - but the concept of it was genius. I still smile thinking about what my old group would have done with those Kobolds. Though I'm sure the swearing would be impressive!

Although not an idea, I love the 2e AD&D Mystara run that came out 1994 to 1995, with "Night of the Vampire" and "Karameikos: Kingdom of Adventure." Those were some of my favorite sets, and I'm a huge Mystara fan because of them. I would love a 5e reprint of Mystara - I would totally buy that! I was also a fan of Red Steel/Savage Coast. A swashbuckling/smokepowder campaign would be a great idea.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
A campaign involving a lot of exploration to recover relics and lore from a previous civilization that was destroyed by a celestial event that's coming to pass once more. It's based on the whole Nibiru/Planet X myth or conspiracy (depending on your point of view). It would focus on two factions - one trying to uncover knowledge, the other trying to keep secrets - and lore would be a fungible resource like gold to encourage players to dig around to uncover useful tidbits.

I've been noodling this game for years and only recently have I put pen to paper. You might be seeing it soon...

Valmarius

First Post
Dungeons & Dragons Breakfast Club.
The PCs are the underachieving students at the ol' Adventurer Academy.
Early levels would see them being relegated to the mundane jobs while the straight-A adventurers get all the glory.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The one I regretted the most was 'Universe City' a Gamma World campaign idea. The concept was that, when the apocalypse happened and huge cyberpunk-archology-style city-buildings were being vaporized, there was a group of re-enactors /under/ one of them, in the historical site of a 20th century college town that vast structure had been built over, complete with an artificial sun/moon/stars on the duralloy dome covering it. With everything outside their re-enactment radioactive slag, they went a little nuts, and founded a culture based on their romantic view of the 20th century, hiding away all knowledge of later history and technology, and imposing their fanaticism on the few unfortunate tourists visiting them at the time. By the time the radiation died down and mutants form the rest of Gamma World started digging their way in, they'd become this mad, insular society, with several dogmatic factions vying for power...

...thing is, I finally did get to run it 20 years after I had the idea, 3 editions or so of Gamma World later.

One that I never got to do was a Tragic Millennium campaign, 1e AD&D heavily modded to handle the setting of Moorcock's Runestaff series.

Another was The Seven Cities, inspired by 3e, but would have been perfect for the 4e 'points of light' theme, the idea was that there was huge continent of deadly (really, insanely, high-level characters routinely die deadly) wilderness (The Wilds) with seven walled-off cities (long ago part of a single civilization, now connected only by underground tunnels) scattered across it. The underdark was actually the less dangerous adventuring area, with the cities the safest, and the wildernesses separating them the 'high level' adventuring areas with the deadliest threats and greatest treasures (in ruins of other cities and settlements that didn't survive). The Wilds weren't just deadly dangerous, but actively hostile to sentient life, with some sort of force behind them. Druids were particularly creepy, since they had some understanding/influence of The Wilds - they also tended to be driven mad by that connection - while Necromancers were valued, contributing members of society (skeletons and zombies did a lot of the menial work).

But the classic theme of 'man vs nature' just doesn't go over with modern audiences.

Oofta

Legend
I have more campaign ideas than I have time. But one that would be interesting would be if you, the player, are sent to a realm where the world works exactly as described in the D&D books. You were accidentally summoned and in return the people who summoned you give you enough training to be somewhat competent 1st level characters.

You know, of course, that you are in a game world and can use any knowledge you would have to overcome foes. The difficult part would be assigning stats of course. Short of going to the gym to see how much you can bench press and taking IQ tests of course.

Ultimately it is revealed that this has happened at least once before, and that the people (Gygax, Arneson, etc) somehow managed to return home.

ccs

41st lv DM
For about 10 years now I keep contemplating a 3 act game set in a D&D Roman Empire/Hades.

Act I:
Would start off with the characters being DEAD & trapped in Hades as spirits. They're given the opportunity to escape when the titans are freed & come bursting through the underworld on their way back to destroy the prime material/Olympus.
I imagine the characters starting at variable levels or something to represent them having slowly been losing themselves to becoming mindless spirits over time. Maybe base it on their charisma scores. Afterall, I imagine only the strongest wills would maintain their forms after death
If/when they "die" during their escape attempt? They'll lose a lv but otherwise be able to get back up & continue. If they manage to escape back to the land of the living? Then they'll be live characters with whatever lvs they had remaining. No idea how I'd handle starting equipment, cleric spells, etc.....

Act II:
The now live characters are back in the realm of the living during a time of terrible conflict. Gods & Titans are trashing the landscape. All manner of awefull things & people have escaped the underworld just as the PCs did.... If the characters intend to continue living they'll have to regain their power.
Dead is dead though now as the underworld has been destroyed.

Act III:
Now at high lvs, the characters have to actively help the gods/engage the titans.

Remove ads