• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your thoughts on warlocks

Particle_Man

Explorer
Let me put it this way:

It is much easier for a Wizard to prepare for a Warlock that he knows is a Warlock than for a Warlock to prepare for a Wizard that he knows is a Wizard (assuming they are opponents). The Globe of Invulnerability is pretty sweet at stopping the Warlock's powers. All the Warlock can do is run away, wait out the spell duration, and try again (and hope the Wizard doesn't have scrolls of this spell prepared, multiple memorizations, etc.)

Thanee

First Post
Is that serious?

Every third encounter involves spellcasters who use globe spells!?
(Not encounters with mid-high level wizards, but *all* encounters.)

That's a lot! :D

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Particle_Man said:
Let me put it this way:

It is much easier for a Wizard to prepare for a Warlock that he knows is a Warlock than for a Warlock to prepare for a Wizard that he knows is a Wizard (assuming they are opponents). The Globe of Invulnerability is pretty sweet at stopping the Warlock's powers. All the Warlock can do is run away, wait out the spell duration, and try again (and hope the Wizard doesn't have scrolls of this spell prepared, multiple memorizations, etc.)

Or just use a higher level essence. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Particle_Man

Explorer
Thanee said:

Bye
Thanee

That's my point, though. The Warlock may not have a higher level essence, since he has so very few invocations. While the Wizard of 9th level can get a Globe of Invulnerability on a scroll, or just automatically by leveling up. So the wizard is more likely to be able to prepare vs. the Warlock.

In fact, the Warlock simply cannot pick up any essence that can penetrate a globe of invulnerability before 11th level. Thus, assuming equal levels, a Wizard that knows his opponent is a Warlock can memorize Globe of invulnerability, assuming both are between 9th and 11th levels. (And if the Warlock doesn't pick the right invocations, perhaps even longer).

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well every encounter that FEATURES an arcane spellcaster such as a wizard or a sorcerer, generally DOES use a globe. Most of them tend to be spell blasters and thus try to ulitize ranged spells as well as shield themselves from other spellcasters. Some times they use a Fire shield on top of a globe or even just a smaller version of prismatic spray called "Prismatic Armor." 4th level Wiz/Sor spell that functions as others but only has a much shorter duration as well a full round casting time.

Scion

First Post
Some classes even have things like 'use magic device' and for a person without normal spells it basically provides straight immunity to a large amount of spells for relatively cheap (cheaper than trying to get antimagic field at least).

Sure, it can only get the lesser version most of the time, but it does make you immune to a large number of spells.

FireLance

Legend
Thanee said:

Bye
Thanee
Is there a Heighten Spell-like Ability feat as well? I seem to recall seeing one when I was flipping through Complete Arcane yesterday, but I'm away from the book now. This would be a good way for a warlock to pump those save DCs, too.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Bah. I've played a lot of spellcasters over the years since 3e was released and only once have I seen the lesser globe of invulnerability come out to play. The problem is that it costs a standard action to cast and will only negate low-level spells. But PCs can usually be sure that NPCs will be tossing their highest level blasts first (after all, they usually weren't expecting to fight even once and don't need to hold back for a second encounter). Similarly, by the time NPCs get the globe spells, either PCs second rank spells will get past it anyway (meaning the NPC is spending his first action to negate the PCs 4th or 5th action) or the NPC is alone, in which case, he needs to do something offensive to the party with his first few actions or he'll simply get overwhelmed. A lone caster can't afford to spend his early actions on anything that doesn't either split up the party, take some of them out of the fight (at least temporarily) or put them on the defensive.

Now, the protective auras of some of the top tier celestials (which include minor globes of invulnerability) come in handy, but that's because they're always on and thus don't cost the celestials any actions to activate. (Which leads me to believe that the globes would be much better spells as swift actions).

Nightfall said:
Well every encounter that FEATURES an arcane spellcaster such as a wizard or a sorcerer, generally DOES use a globe. Most of them tend to be spell blasters and thus try to ulitize ranged spells as well as shield themselves from other spellcasters. Some times they use a Fire shield on top of a globe or even just a smaller version of prismatic spray called "Prismatic Armor." 4th level Wiz/Sor spell that functions as others but only has a much shorter duration as well a full round casting time.

Thanee

First Post
Particle_Man said:
That's my point, though. The Warlock may not have a higher level essence, since he has so very few invocations.

Of course, that's the price for the "at will".

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads