D&D 4E Yuan-Ti should be a PC race in 4e.

frankthedm

First Post
Tewligan said:
I agree with this. Yuan-ti are a little TOO evil to be a PC race. Plus, they'd fit even less with an S&S campaign - S&S is about fighting mysterious ancient evils, not being a mysterious ancient evil who shoulders his backpack and goes on a quest with a few of his adventurer buddies.
Yes.

MaelStorm

First Post
I surely don't understand why serpent=evil only!?!

(Maybe because this idea has been going since the story of Adam and Eve in the Old Testament, but IIRC the serpent was related to the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil in the Garden of Eden. But it was also reverred as wisdom and related to the Night, only when the Sun took the place the Stars, Night and Moon the serpent was portrayed as evil)

Sure it is a no brainer for game designers to do this, but with the change in alignment and mostly unaligned people, there could be a fragmented population leaving the underdark to adopt borderlands, if they are intelligent and fine manipulators there could be some spies disguised as humans, and there could some setlements that are influenced or attracted by civilization and be considered as traitors by their fellows, but the other races could see it as an opportunity and be a little more accepting toward the Yuan-Ti than before. They maybe would not be trusted by humans, elves, eladrins, dwarves, dragonborn and halflings, but they could mingle with the tieflings, the gnomes, the kobolds, and the gnolls.

Anyway, this could make good campaign material, and additional twists to the already existing new PoL 4E world.

Last edited:

Wolfspider

Explorer
Tewligan said:
I agree with this. Yuan-ti are a little TOO evil to be a PC race. Plus, they'd fit even less with an S&S campaign - S&S is about fighting mysterious ancient evils, not being a mysterious ancient evil who shoulders his backpack and goes on a quest with a few of his adventurer buddies.

Tieflings?

Sitara

Explorer
Or maybe they were the secret, indsidious reason that led tothe destruction of Bael-Turath, Nerath, and Arkhosia! You know, chipping away from the shadows (like wfrp's skaven!)

But seriously, if orcs can become good aligned, drow can become good aligned, socan Yuan-Ti. Let the lobbying begin!

Mercule

Adventurer
Meh. I don't even care for Yuan-Ti as monsters. I definitely wouldn't want to see them as PCs.

Of course, I can't really think of any aberrations I'd consider value-added for the game (I don't like the Far Realm, either). I may be the only person on the planet who feels that way, but there it is.

I see the Yuan-Ti (at least Purebloods) as one of the MM(x) monsters most likely to get PC stats. Since they offer something beyond the dumb-brute PC races that a lot of MM1 (Ogres, Orcs, Bugbears) is going to offer. And the thing with Purebloods, is that they're the most human looking of the Yuan-Ti and are farther from the Dragonborn than Halfbloods and Abominations.

Though with my campaign ideas, I have the Yuan-Ti being a very factionalized race of serpent cultist, who might not necessarily be evil, depending on which cult they belong to. Though even a "good" cult of Yuan-Ti should seem scary, as they keep to themselves, often in ancient temples to an elder naga/serpent race from very long ago.

Callikah

First Post
maybe they will add them as one of the psionic player races in whatever book they bring psionics back into the game? i can see them being usable to a degree in a campaign about the corruptability of mankind just as tieflings are the ancesters of a fallen human nation.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Mercule said:
Meh. I don't even care for Yuan-Ti as monsters. I definitely wouldn't want to see them as PCs.

Certainly not a PHBn writeup worthy race.

Maybe in a MM, but not in a PHB. I get my Reptoid jollies from Dragonborn and anthropomorphic tyrannosaurs, not snake-dudes.

Brad

Remove ads