• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ZNG Cartography

ZombieButch

First Post
jgbrowning said:
I'm stoked about this release Butch. :)

joe b.

Thanks Joe... you and me both! :) I don't have years and years of experience in the industry or anything, but I've worked on a few projects. I've never been so excited about or worked as hard on any of them as this one!

ZombieButch

First Post
Oh, and since I haven't posted it here yet...

This is the map I showed briefly in the last episode; it's one of the (many!) filler maps I've been working on for the book.

RPGCartoMap1.jpg

JDragon

Explorer
Palehorse,

OMG, you have totally fried my brain, but in a good way. :confused: I think. ;)

I just spent my day watching and recreating the techniques from the 10 episodes of FCAP, and loved it.

I have always known you could do a lot of cool stuff with Photoshop but never knew where to start. Thanks to your podcast I've learned allot (missed allot too, will have to go back to soak it all in), in just a few minutes watching your stuff.

But the other thing it has done is show me how little I really know. :heh:

I do have a couple ?s though.

#1 Do you have plans to show how to do mountains for large overland/campaign maps? Maybe in your book? This has always been my stumbling block for maps, but I already have a few ideas I want to try using what I learned today.

#2 How do you do the groups for layers? (IE the tress, Paper, etc)

#3 When I was trying to do the road, my line from the pen tool kept showing up as a white line in the middle of the brush stroke. Did I miss something or is this a setting somewhere.

#4 What other podcasts / sites would you suggest for photoshop beginners or close to it?

Thanks again, this is great stuff.

JD

Wraith101

First Post
I have actually encountered some of those problems following the FCAP episodes

1: This is what I am looking forward to the most!
2: There is a new folder button that looks like windows folders at the bottom of the layers tab.
3: You need to go to the paths tab (that's in the same box as the layers tab) and deselect the path you will see there. just click off the selected path in the paths tab and you will see the lines dissapear!
4: The ones I have found are all about manuipulating photo's and are not that useful!

Can't wait for FCAP 11 by the way!

ZombieButch

First Post
Hey guys, thanks for the kind words!

JDragon said:
#1 Do you have plans to show how to do mountains for large overland/campaign maps? Maybe in your book? This has always been my stumbling block for maps, but I already have a few ideas I want to try using what I learned today.

Eventually! After I post next week's episode, I'm going to take 2 weeks off (partly to just to take a break, but mostly to spend as much time as I can with my son before he starts his first year of school!). When I come back, I'll be talking about this map for a few episodes, and we'll get into some painterly mountain-building with it. There are a lot more in the book, though!

#2 How do you do the groups for layers? (IE the tress, Paper, etc)

#3 When I was trying to do the road, my line from the pen tool kept showing up as a white line in the middle of the brush stroke. Did I miss something or is this a setting somewhere.

Wraith answered both of these. :)

#4 What other podcasts / sites would you suggest for photoshop beginners or close to it?

If you head over to Zombie Nirvana I've got a list of about 10 Photoshop links to other sites that I've found to be particularly good.

If I had to pick just one, it'd be Bert Monroy's podcast, Pixel Perfect. A lot of Photoshop tutorials are basically, "do A, do B, do C, done". Bert really gets into a lot of detail about what he's doing and why he's doing it, and that's something I've been striving to emulate in the FCAP podcasts.

Now, you can learn something from those other sites, though, even the photo-manipulation ones. If you can take the time to really dissect the tutorials and figure out how it is they're working, there are a lot of ways you can apply those techniques to mapmaking. Just as an example, that woodcut/engraving look I used on the lake came about by looking both at S. John's method and studying some different methods for turning photographs into line art. I never would've been able to put it together if I hadn't spent time playing around with a lot of cheesy photomanip tutorials and figuring out how they worked!

I've also learned a lot about color by checking out different Photoshop sites dealing with digital photography and color correction.

Pyrandon

First Post
Looking great as always, Butch. And by the way, the show notes you post over at ZNG are an awesome addition to the podcasts; they round out the 'casts very well.

I look forward to more! :)

ZombieButch

First Post
Thanks! I really should've thought to include the show notes earlier on, if only to correct the stuff I forgot to mention while I was recording!

Remove ads