Star Wars Scratch Lottery Tickets

Villano

First Post
Brother Shatterstone said:
if he abounds the line then he has little kids crying and other patents mad at him for not giving their children play things.

To which I say... ;)

Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Explain to me why its a bad thing to tell a chlid no, and I might agree with you.

This is business as normal, its not him doing some sort of vile act, and as others have said PG13 movies, and even R rated movies have gotten toy lines...

I can't recall that many PG-13 or R movies that had toys aimed at the pre-school set. Maybe Jurassic Park? That's the only one I can think of.

It's not vile, just a bit hypocritical.

ssampier said:
Space Balls the T-Shirt, Space Balls the breakfast cereal... Space Balls the Flame Thrower, the kids love it

There's an online store that sells all manner of things from Japan. Apparently, one of their most popular items is a Hello Kitty vibra...,er, "back massager". Space Balls never had one of those. :lol:

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Villano said:
I can't recall that many PG-13 or R movies that had toys aimed at the pre-school set. Maybe Jurassic Park? That's the only one I can think of.

Well there is Batman Begins, which is coming out at the same time as RotS but not picking up the negative that Lucas is getting. At least as far as I can tell...

ShrinkyLink

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
So have many other PG-13 movies. I think people just look for a reason to go after Lucas.

Some do. I don't.

I don't think Han being a gambler excuses SW lottery tickets. The gambling in SW and EU is pure fantasy gambling: if someone wins, they win big--like Han winning the Falcon, or Lando winning the deed to Cloud City. If they lose, it usually leads into some adventure or other. Never do we see Han having to hock the Falcon to pay his debts, or blow his smuggling fee scratching tickets outside some Mos Eisley variety store.

I am in awe of Lucas on many points: his dedication to digital film, for example, and his insistence that theatres show films as they are meant to be seen, has done more to preserve the pure art and joy of cinema than most people realize. He could have sold the SW concept and made a decent buck back after *A New Hope*, but he cared enough to keep it. These things I admire. I just see these lottery tickets as a mistake. That's all.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, good sir.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
ShrinkyLink said:
I don't think Han being a gambler excuses SW lottery tickets. The gambling in SW and EU is pure fantasy gambling:

So your really think kids know the difference between real gambling, which is wrong in your words, and fantasy gambling, which is okay cause it advances the story?

I think you give kids to much credit in this regard.

ShrinkyLink said:
The gambling in SW and EU is pure fantasy gambling: if someone wins, they win big--like Han winning the Falcon, or Lando winning the deed to Cloud City. If they lose, it usually leads into some adventure or other. Never do we see Han having to hock the Falcon to pay his debts, or blow his smuggling fee scratching tickets outside some Mos Eisley variety store.
Watto lost everything when he gambled on the podrace, Qui-Gon even made the point of saying that gambling isn't always a bright idea. Not only was it said in dialogue, when Anakin returns to Watto 10 years later, he's broke and washed up because of the big losses he had that day at the track.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
wingsandsword, wow, I thought I liked the prequels but I've missed both of your points till you pointed them out to me...

I don't know if I should go, "Good point!" or turn in my membership card... :( ;)

I think I'll go "Good point!" and rewatch the movies again. :D

Villano said:

What RotS toys are aimed at pre-school ages?

The only ones that I can think of right now are the Galactic Heroes two sets of little characters. Batman definitely has had things aimed at kids of that age, as have Spiderman and both of those have been PG-13(or R, in the case of a couple of the Batman movies), but they get nothing.

And as for the actual gambling. Um...how many kids will ever actually SEE those things, anyway?

Villano

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
What RotS toys are aimed at pre-school ages?

The only ones that I can think of right now are the Galactic Heroes two sets of little characters. Batman definitely has had things aimed at kids of that age, as have Spiderman and both of those have been PG-13(or R, in the case of a couple of the Batman movies), but they get nothing.

Well, both Spider-Man and Batman are a different case since they existed before the movies and aren't necessarily dependent on them. For example, I saw a Playskool(?) Spider-Man set that featured the Lizard. Aside from a cameo by Dr. Conners, he wasn't in Spider-Man 2.

And what Batman movie was rated R? I didn't think they're were any.

Besides, I don't recall Spider-Man or Batman have the same number of child deaths or dismemberments as RotS. :)

I mentioned Wild, Wild West earlier. That was another PG-13 movie that had a Kids Meal tie-in. I would consider that out of place, too, since that movie was loaded with sexual and racial humor and had some nudity. It definitely wasn't intended for kids at all, but it was marketed that way.

As for preschool RotS toys, I've heard of something from Playskool called Jedi Force Collection, but I don't know if that's part of that Galactic Heroes set you spoke of.

And, off the top of my head, I can think of Legos, RotS sticker books, Darth Vader voice changer, cartoony looking toy vehicles, the wind-up Burger King toys, Mr Potato Head, and children's clothes.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Villano said:
Well, both Spider-Man and Batman are a different case since they existed before the movies and aren't necessarily dependent on them.

Neither is Star Wars, it has comics, novels, games, and just about anything you could give Spider-man and Batman. It also had 5 movies that where PG before one PG13 Movies.

Villano said:
For example, I saw a Playskool(?) Spider-Man set that featured the Lizard. Aside from a cameo by Dr. Conners, he wasn't in Spider-Man 2.

Did Spiderman have a figure? Did Doc Ock have a figure?

Villano said:
And what Batman movie was rated R? I didn't think they're were any.

None to my knowledge, the current movie is rated PG13 and I believe that is a high as they have gone, in ratings not in what the director was sniffing at the time he made the film.

As for an R rated movie with a toy line. Well Sin City got a toy line. ;)

Villano said:
And, off the top of my head, I can think of Legos, RotS sticker books, Darth Vader voice changer, cartoony looking toy vehicles, the wind-up Burger King toys, Mr Potato Head, and children's clothes.

Minus Mr. Vader Head and a Burger King toys Batman has all of them covered.

Remove ads