Doctor Who 1.11 (5/19/06) Boom Town (current-ep spoilers)

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Villano said:
And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thought Jack's accent was off. :)
I suspect that the problem people are having with Jack's accent is that they've become acclimated to Hollywood's non-accent. Unless they are making a point about a character (usually that he's from some 'specific' area like the South or New England) you just don't ever hear regional dialects. So when people hear something different that doesn't seem to be making any special point about the character, it just sounds odd.

scrubkai

Explorer
My wife and I are both born and bread Illinoisians. After reading this thread, we re-watched parts of the episode, and he sounds totally normal to us. Jack is using an authentic central Illinois accent. Believe it or not, there really isn't ONE American accent. We can count at least 4 Illinois accents: Chicago, northern IL, southern IL, and central IL. All of them are different enough that you can pretty quickly pick up where someone grew up just by listening to them for a few minutes.
And that's just one of 50 states.... I believe there is something like 6 major english accents and a few hundred minor accents in the US.
What you are hearing is really just the difference between the Hollywood standard accent (which is most American’s have to learn to speak) and someone who really has a regional accent.

That's not to say I like Jack's character... He's way to much of an loose cannon for my taste, He just happens to speak like a real mid-westerner....

Last edited:

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
scrubkai said:
What you are hearing is really just the difference between the Hollywood standard accent (which is most American’s have to learn to speak) and someone who really has a regional accent.

Imagine if he had been from New Jersey....

"Yo Docta! Hey youse!"

Villano

First Post
Ed_Laprade said:
I suspect that the problem people are having with Jack's accent is that they've become acclimated to Hollywood's non-accent.

I don't think that's really the case. After all, people in America hear English all the time, not just in the movies. :)

But, as Scrubkai said, it seems to come from a very specific part of the country. Since the US is a very, very big place, most people aren't going to be familiar with it.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Jack rubs me the wrong way more than Mickey does.

Richards said:
I think it's mostly the "baby faces"...

It's all the silly farting for me. It's hard to take villians seriously as a threat when they are mostly a fart-gag.

Goodsport said:
...it turns out that he was one of the episode's few (if not only) actual American actors.

I've got this mental image of the Brittish directors and producers, speaking in any of the Brittish accents, telling the American actors to pump up their American accents and the American actors blinking a few times and then saying "OK."

Compare this to any of the times in other productions, American directors and priducers, speaking in any of the American accents, have told their Brittish actors to pump up their Brittish accents and the Brittish actors blinked a few times and then said "Very well."

Kesh

First Post
I found nothing wrong at all with Jack's accent. Maybe it's 'cuz I'm from Ohio, so it's similar to what I'm used to. Plus, he sounds like 90% of the actors in old WW2 films, so him dressed as an American pilot in "Empty Child" was well-suited, in my opinion.

That aside, it was a fairly pleasant "filler" episode. Seeing the Doctor deal with his role as an executioner (assuming we believe her in the first place) was interesting. The tech-twist wasn't that great, and I wanted to strangle Mickey by the end, but it was a decent episode.

Remove ads