[Adventure] Rhapsody Part 2 (Judge: renau1g)

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: It's a class feature of a preserving invoker; whenever Narvala uses a divine encounter or daily attack power (and although Shining Symbol is from a theme, it's a divine encounter attack power), she can slide one ally within 10 squares one square. I almost moved Cairn back a bit because he may very well get caught in the blast radius of an exploding ice zombie.

I know, that's why I asked if that (I meant your power used - shinning symbol) was encounter power :)
But it seems DM is against it. Don't you mind zombies, Cairn has resist cold, you need to put Cairn into position adjacent to the boss.

Cairn thinks for a moment in total darkness and then has a bright idea to illuminate everything. It would burn, but he's winters herald and has nothing to fear. His stone form will be singed, but it's a small price to pay for dealing with this abominations and their master.

He takes a moment to dig out a flask out of his belt and swings it into the zombie next to him smashing it against the crate. There is a great whoosh, nothing is illuminated, but grunts of the zombies and a shriek from the necromancer are reward enough.

[sblock=Actions]
Free: regenerate 5 hitpoints
Free: Mark zombies 2 and 4
Minor: Retrieve Alchemist Fire (again)
Minor: Warforged resolve (gain 5 hp and 5 thp)
Standard: Alchemist fire vs Ref (Leader; Z2; Z4; Cairn); fire damage (1d20+9=24, 1d20+9+2=26, 1d20+9+2=17, 1d20+9+2=12, 2d6=6) - heh, natural 1 against self, I didn't include CA against necro, presumably he can see in his own darkness, forgot additional +1 again against necro and zombie 4 due to warforged tactics, vulnerability of zombies not included

I'm not sure whether zombie 4 stands on 1 square high crates or not, adjust the center so it gets everything and everyone (i.e. hit at 1 square height not ground level in N12)

[/sblock]

[sblock=Cairn Stats]
STATUS: +1 AC, 2 squares around are diff terrain for enemies, regeneration 5 while bloodied
MARKED: Z2, Z4

Initiative +5; Senses Passive Insight 15, Passive Perception 19
HP 38+5thp/84, Bloodied 42, Surge Value 21, Surges 9/13
AC 22; Fortitude 20, Reflex 19, Will 19

MBA: +11 vs AC; 1d10+5 damage (+1 to hit if ally is adjacent to the enemy)

AP 0/1
Saving Throws:
+2 vs ongoing damage, take 10 or roll on death saves;
+2 item bonus vs. poison, weakened, slowed, immobilized, charm, fear and psychic effects
Resist 5 psychic

An ally that makes saving throw after Cairn succeeds on his gains +4 to the roll

Speed 6

Warden's Fury
Warden's Grasp
Weight of Earth
Thorn Strike

Warforged Resolve
Second Wind
Thunder Ram Assault
Form of Winter Herald Attack
Earthgrasp Strike
Guiding Strike
Guardian's Counter
Guardian's Defense
Mountain Stature

Form of Winter's Herald
Wellspring Strike

Boots of the fencing master: minor encounter: shift 2 squares

[/sblock]

Last edited:

KarinsDad

Adventurer

I'm not asking about last round move change, but for new change and I'm asking it in-game as you instructed. For current round. What would you say if Narvala just announced that first one to call it could move on her power?

OOC: Hmmm. This could be a problem (and a reason I prefer to avoid retcons if possible).

Say that Narvala, Christina, and Nyar post their actions. Then, Neurotic has Cairn ask Narvala for a one square move, indicating that he asked during Narvala's turn as a free action.

The problem with this is that drothgery, Luinnar, and FourMonos all posted their actions with the understanding that Cairn did not move. Suddenly, the situation changes. Only a little, but maybe enough that some of those players would have chosen different actions.

I vastly prefer what happened last round where Cairn as a free action asked for the move first. The post exists and everyone can read it. Then, drothgery was aware of this in character conversation before posting his actions, and he could decide whether to move Cairn or not. That works well and it doesn't interfere with anyone else's actions because they can always chime in (in character) as to why it's a bad idea or why they need to be moved instead, or whatever.

PBP is hard to do well because of the limitations of posting time. Hence, the easiest way to adjudicate and run it is to avoid retcons. That way, every player who posts has a good idea of what happened before posting and can make reasonable decisions. Changing things after the fact messes that up (and we have seen that when I or someone else makes a mistake that forces a retcon).

So, I have to deny the request. Moving a single square might seem like a small thing, but as I see every time I try to move the bad guys, it can become a very large thing that drastically changes declarations and actions.

With regard to the current round, having Narvala move Cairn is retconning. This should be avoided for the reasons I stated above and here.

PS. Asking for a move to a specific square is doing it out of character, as is telling drothgery that you need Cairn moved next to the boss OOC.

PSS. I will try to post tonight now that all of the players have posted, but tonight is a problem for me. And, I am flying out of town tomorrow night and will not be back until Monday. So, if you see nothing tonight, expect the next installment the day after Christmas.

Happy Holidays everyone! :D

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Baern spins twin blades but can't tell if they strike...

[sblock=actions]Standard: Twin Strike at Human 1 would hit AC 15 and 20 (with -5 penalty)
Waiting for KarinsDad on results. Neurotic, he said that dispel failed.
[/sblock]

Again, Baern hits twice against his foe and again the foe should be dead. But somehow, he's still standing. He punches Baern in the head again, but this time it really hurts.

OOC: I missed this until I got to it. You are waiting for what happens for the rest of your actions.

Immediate Reaction hits Baern for 7. Baern is bloodied.

If you post in the next hour or so, I have this round done up to this point and can finish. If not, I won't be able to post it until Monday.

drothgery

First Post
OOC: ...
PS. Asking for a move to a specific square is doing it out of character, as is telling drothgery that you need Cairn moved next to the boss OOC.

PSS. I will try to post tonight now that all of the players have posted, but tonight is a problem for me. And, I am flying out of town tomorrow night and will not be back until Monday. So, if you see nothing tonight, expect the next installment the day after Christmas.

Happy Holidays everyone! :D
OOC: FWIW, in a tabletop game, I'd almost certainly ask out of character if anyone wanted me to move their character a square, even if it is bit metagamey.

Also, I'll be away from my computer most of the week between Christmas and New Years', so if I post anything, it will be from my phone or a borrowed PC.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
[MENTION=360]drothgery[/MENTION]: I did my full round action from the position I am, without move. I found a way to do it without penalty even :) So no trouble.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
OOC: FWIW, in a tabletop game, I'd almost certainly ask out of character if anyone wanted me to move their character a square, even if it is bit metagamey.

OOC: Yeah, it's a bit unavoidable in a tabletop game because people are not typing. My current group has one particular player who absolutely has to mention tactics on nearly everyone else's turn and I typically let it slide for a bit before finally saying something like "It's Fred's turn and Fred's PC. Let Fred make his own decisions." Course at a tabletop game, I have been in games where people actually do roleplay IC a lot and kibitz OOC on combat tactics not so much. It depends on the players.

Here though, it takes time to type out a message. Everyone should be able to control that knee jerk urge to tell (or ask) others what to do OOC. It's just as easy to type "Narvala, can you move me towards that caster?" as it is to type "drothgery, can Narvala move me to L5?".

Interestingly enough, in a tabletop game where players do not do a lot of OOC combat tactics, a PC with Narvala's slide abilities would on some rounds slide one of the other PCs without asking or being asked, just because it seemed like a good idea at the time. Then, the player of that other PC would find his/her PC in a different situation and would have to react accordingly.

If I had a PC like Narvala here in PBP who could often slide allies, I would just do it when I thought it best without permission or request. Sometimes it would help those allies and sometimes it would screw up the plans of the players of those PCs. But, that's part of what makes the game fun as well: the unexpected.

Remove ads