AU: Northlands

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Conversations and betting die down, as combatants and bookies alike seek their beds. Bladesong dawns crisp and bright, a perfect day for fighting in heavy armor. As the town lacks sufficient space for such a large gathering, the tourney is held just outside the walls. The officials mediating the games place rods in circles, stringing cord between them to delineate the rings for the matches. The first match seems relatively disorganized, with contestants being paired up randomly and handed padding for their weapons. Any who wish to enter must do so now.

Erekose13

Explorer
Jonas Temm steps up to the officials, "I Jonas Temm, of the Ka-Rone Temm's will partake in this event in the spirit of Warrior's Day".

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Jonas's imposing demeanor evidently makes an impression on the stewards, as he is quickly paired up with a dangerous-looking sibeccai. He simply smiles as he lashes the padding onto his khopesh, carefully avoiding the many hooks and jags on the blade's surface.

(The first round of combats will likely be resolved without any rolls, but I'm going to wait until everyone has had a chance to join before doing so.)

Arden

First Post
Galed promptly follows Jonas's lead, his armour flashing in the bright sunlight. "I am Galed, servant of the Light. I would test myself in this tournament, with your permission."

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Casting about quickly for a competitor for Galed, a steward grabs an old, grizzled-looking man with a staff. As Galed enters the ring, he notices that the man is gripping the staff like a spear, and has padded only one end. It appears that he may know what he's doing.

FaenFriend

First Post
Kai-Moash eases up to the officials, his maul draped lazily across his shoulders. "I am Kai-Moash, a blacksmith by trade. Today, I will show the town how I wield a hammer." He smiles broadly.

... or I'll make a fool of myself. One of the two.

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
A massive human, large enough to pass for a giant in a bad light, steps up, smiling. He too carries a massive hammer, and bears the freckled scars of a man who has spent much time over a forge. "Ho, friend giant, shall we try our skills together?" A steward locates a ring for the two smiths.

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Tenkar makes his way up to the front to register with the rest. "Tenkar, Swordman and Adventurer. I am here to test myself."

If I fail badly then I am a bigger fool then my father ever thought me to be.
(damn italics is bugged for me right now... so the above is Tenkar's train of thought;)

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Tenkar is met in the ring by a man younger and more nervous-appearing than himself. He wears ill-fitting, second-hand chain, and brandishes a greatsword which has seen better days.

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Jonas's battle begins easily, but the sibeccai shows great stamina, dragging the fight on for ten full minutes before Jonas finally lands a blow solid enough to end the match.

Galed's match is somewhat swifter, as he shatters his opponent's staff in the third exchange of blows. The judges award him victory for this display of power.

Kai-Moash and the other smith exchange relatively few blows, as their light armor encourages dodging, not parrying. The giant's reach wins out in the end, as his opponent simply cannot enter range without exposing himself.

Tenkar's fight is over almost before it begins; the youth is obviously inexperienced and no match for a trained warrior.

A half-hour break is announced before the next match, while the judges and stewards confer on proper placements. Water, iced beverages, and salty snacks are served to replenish what the combatants have lost. Victors and the defeated mingle freely, chatting amongst themselves.

Remove ads