• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Barbarian preview!

Remathilis

Legend
You havent lived till youve seen that movie with the barbarian brothers. Man I laughed till I cried. I dont want to spoil it for anyone who hasnt seen it, but there are some absolutely classic lines/scenes. Highly recommended, so bad its good.

Agreed. That is some grade A cheese steak (beefcake + cheese) right there.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Nice to see a Grizzly Adams barbarian in touch with his inner feelings. This guy really backs up that passage that got so much attention in the Basic Rules.

Check out the 'padded pants', then watch the video for 'Secret Agent Man' (by Devo). You will not see this guy the same again wearing those.

I wonder if this guy packs a +1 table tennis bat in his back pocket.

Okay, I went and found it for you: (Ah crap, I don't know how to embed on here. Tried 3 times, you will just have to follow the link - nevermind it worked...:
[video=youtube;DQjwUyne3kQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQjwUyne3kQ[/video]

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Something to remember too is that the art doesn't live in a vacuum. The Bard class will be the first class picture we see. Then we have a barbarian in an almost identical pose, but, instead of some poncy elf with an overcompensating sized electric lute, we have a honking big barbarian with an axe. Nice comparison really.

Also, let's not forget the iconic D&D barbarian - Riverwind from Dragonlance:

Riverwind+and+Goldmoon.jpg

Pretty close I think.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Did you just say "iconic D&D Barbarian?"

barbarzynca.jpg

More seriously, I don't think it's Conan backlash, people were possibly expecting more Krusk or Amiri than Fafhrd.

Hussar

Legend
Well, they went half orc for the paladin, so, that's off the table. :)

But, really, when you step back for a second, the whole "Conan" barbarian thing isn't all that comprehensive in D&D. Why would an elf barbarian (Grugach, wild elf, whatever) look like Conan? Or a Dwarf barbarian?

Although, to be fair, that barbarian could pass as a Ranger pretty darn easily.

the Jester

Legend
Shrug. I like the piece. That said, I think I like all the other pics we've seen so far better, but that doesn't change the fact that I like it.

Agamon

Adventurer
Something to remember too is that the art doesn't live in a vacuum. The Bard class will be the first class picture we see. Then we have a barbarian in an almost identical pose, but, instead of some poncy elf with an overcompensating sized electric lute, we have a honking big barbarian with an axe. Nice comparison really.

Also, let's not forget the iconic D&D barbarian - Riverwind from Dragonlance:

Riverwind+and+Goldmoon.jpg

Pretty close I think.

That's Tanis and Kitiara, just so you know. :)

riverwind3.jpg

There he is.

Last edited:

nativeflame

First Post
Barbarian

Yep, first image from the samples that seemed off immediately. Sure I'll eventually get used to it, but yeah, it kinda missed the mark in terms of attitude. And also the art atyle seemed a bit less detailed and cut-out than other art. Backgrounds and little items look great though.

Remove ads