CB's Pathfinder Beta -- Burnt Offerings

mfloyd3

Explorer
Elyra looks off after the guardsman chasing after her cousin, then looks at the other guardsman embracing the sorceress. Perhaps when the goblins decided to raid Sandpoint they were less brazen and better informed than she had thought.

"Wait here, we will yell if there is trouble," she instructs her colleagues, and trots after the running guardsman.

jkason

First Post
Tac Abor, human rogue

At the gate, the smaller weasly guardsman comes to a halt in front of Taran. Huffing for air from even his short burst of speed, the guardsman pants, "This yer dog? That bark'd wake the dead." The weasly man reaches a hand forward to pat Sandstone.

"That's Sandstone," Tac says, "Though I'm hoping there no literal dead waking involved. It's been a crazy enough day without them. Now, what the blazes are you barking at, boy?"

[sblock=OOC]Perception +6. Not sure if the fog's too thick yet to see the gate open.[/sblock]

Ambrus

Explorer
In response to Tac's question, the rough collie merely wags its long tail enthusiastically while continuing to pant.[sblock=OOC]Sandstone is standing in the open gateway, so if Tac is close enough to see him, then he's close enough to see the state of the gate as well.[/sblock]

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Tac Abor, human rogue

It takes Tac a minute, staring at the dog as if it's going to start speaking, then he looks up, and realizes...

"Um, this shouldn't be open, should it?" he addresses his query to the guardsman who chased after him.

Shayuri

First Post
Talashia has just enough time to widen her eyes in shock and gasp, "Ben?!" before she's enfolded in the hug of a man who outmasses her by a factor of nearly two to one. After a second she manages to reach as far around him as she can and gently pat his back, trying to signal him to let go.

When he finally does, she sucks in a breath of delicious, wonderful air and gives Ben a cautious, amused look.

"I'd ask if you missed me," she says with a grin, "but I think I can guess. This is a surprise though...Ben Olafsson of the town guard."

mfloyd3

Explorer
Elyra walks carefully past Tac and the guardsman and kneels carefully by the gate. She examines the packed earth at the edge of the gate, and then closer to the center.

OOC: She is looking for goblin prints, thinking a large number might have come through the gates. Since she is looking for Favored Enemy tracks (adds +2 to Survival) and as a Ranger she gets half her Ranger level on Track (I am rounding up -- Can't check the rules now, CB, but round back down if I'm out of line) her roll is +9.

Ben drops Talashia, grins, and roughs up the hair at the top of her head with a meaty palm. "You got taller, Tal. Hey, where'd Ernie go?" Ben seems to suddenly realize that his comrade in arms has left, which causes him to peer into the fog past Talashia. "C'mon, Tal. Let's go see where Ernie went." Big Ben lumbers down the byway and soon enough rounds the corner around the White Deer, swatting at fog the whole time as if it were a gnat in his face.

At the Gate, the smaller of the pair of guardsman replies to Tac with a shake of the head and a suspicious glance at Elyra, who stoops by the open gate doors in a crouch to hunt for tracks. "No, the watch afore us shoulda had them doors shut fast." With that, Ernie the Small pushes past Tac and, picking up a stout length of wood leaning against the wall to the left of the inside of the Gate, closes the doors and slides the wooden bar into place. "That'll keep 'em out." Ernie declares, brushing splinters and dust from his hands.

[sblock=Elyra]I know everyone's going to read this, but at least if I put it in spoiler tags you have the option of not viewing it and having your PC remain faithfully in the dark. Elyra (Survival +9 to track goblins) has a good look at the tracks passing in and out of the North Gate. The ground here is packed dirt and though it hasn't rained in many days, the damp of the fog rims some of the prints to Elyra's well-trained eye, particularly when the lamp-bearing guardsman lumbers close enough to close and bar the Gate. In addition to the many booted feet of all manner of civilized folk, there are wagon tracks and horse and pony hoof prints. The Gate's been well-traveled the past three days as people arrive for the Swallowtail Festival. Laid over top the tracks of folk and commerce that Elyra would normally expect from a town Gate, however, are the in-bound prints of a band of perhaps 20 goblins. There are no goblin tracks heading toward or exiting the gate--save one, and that pitiless creature looks to be dead where Sandstone slew it. One medium-sized set of booted feet has laid a series of tracks away from the gate, and in several places these tracks have been laid on top of a set of goblin prints, which ought to be a clear indication that these latter tracks were the last set to leave the Gate area--before the tracks here began to get muddied by the stock of present company. Ernie, in particular, steps in and ruins a particularly vital print at the center poitn where the Gate doors meet, right before Elyra has the opportunity to get a better look at it.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Ambrus

Explorer
Sandstone contentedly wags his long tail as the guardsmen close and bar the town's gate. Having previously searched the ground for goblin tracks, the guard dog watches with curiosity as the kneeling woman repeats the exercise. Then, with a light bark to draw attention to himself, the collie turns and lopes eastward into the mist. After only a few yards, the dog stops, turns and barks to signal that he should be followed before continuing on. An occasional bark signals his direction and distance as he continues on towards the Boneyard's entry gate.

[sblock=For those who choose to follow]Past the entry gate the canine follows the northern wall eastward, leading those who continue to follow him through the mist-shrouded forest of gravestones. Eventually the collie comes to a stop and begins hoping up against a bare stretch of the Boneyard's northern wall. Gazing up past the line of Sandstone's pointing snout, sharp-eyed observers can make out the top of a ladder propped up against the wall's opposite side.[/sblock][sblock=CanadienneBacon]I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds by ad-libbing this little side-trek to point out the ladder to the rest of the party. I'm just trying to move things along while keeping everyone in the loop.

BTW, what's with the "bit of fresh earth has been dug up near one of the tombstones"? How much earth are we talking about? Is it a freshly dug grave or someone's preliminary attempt to dig up a body? What's written on the tombstone?
[/sblock]

Remove ads