Crossed Paths - OOC

Manzanita

First Post
History

I'll try to make some posts about this world here. I think knowing more about the history & politics may help you to better understand your PC, as well as help you make some decisions later in the game. Feel free to ask questions. Not that I know all the answers...

Players Chronology/History

Creation Myths vary by region. Generally, each of the three main human Deity groups claim credit for the earth’s creation per their particular legend. Central to all myths, though, is the existence of Ua, who is variously depicted as the sky or earth. This being is generally thought to be the creator in religions of all races.

It is generally known that before the days of the dominance of men, the most dominant race was the Melnibone. The Melnibone are an Elven race, tall as humans, with pointed ears and almond shaped eyes. They are said to have made advanced ships, capable of circumnavigating the planet. They had tamed Dragons & other beasts, & had great magics, never since duplicated. Eventually their civilization went into decline. Some say humans overtook them in power. Some say civil war destroyed them. Others say they offended the Gods. Still others say their dragons turned against them. In any case, their civilization waned, and now only exists on isolated islands & regions in the known world. (In the Mediterranean, the Melnibone still rule Malta.)

Various other empires grew over time, since the dark ages following the fall of the Melnibone. The Greeks achieved great power in magic & technology & learning, partially though cooperation with the elves. They were not able to unify, though, & were a great empire only for the lifetime of one man.

The modern calendar starts at the founding of Rome. Chronology follows:

Approx 2000 to 3000 B.R. (Before Rome) Fall of the Melniboan Empire
Approx 1000 to 1500 B.R. Great Pyramids built by Egyptian Empire
500 B.R. Apex of Early Greek Expansion Under Alexander the Great. This Greek General and Emperor, generally considered the greatest ever, extends his empire as far east as the Indus river. Much of this is lost over the next generation.
497 B.R. Disappearance of Alexander in the North East. No trace of his party has ever been found
0 Founding of Rome. This empire is said to have started by two brothers, Romulus & Remus, raised by wolves. It’s growth is slow at first, encompassing only Italy by 100 A.R.
500 A.R. The Roman Empire has conquered most of the Mediterranean Coast, Western Europe (Spain, France & southern Germany) & Turkey. Wizard & Monk Academies well established, & key to expansion & maintenance of empire.
550 A.R. From beneath the earth, Saracens, “Snake People” attack the Holy Lands of present day Palestine & Israel, considered holy by Greek & Egyptian pantheons. They are led by demons, and followed by hordes of orcs & other humanoids. Sporadic fighting has followed. They have not attempted to significantly expand, and various attempt to recapture the region have failed.
600 A.R. Knights Templar established to reconquor the Holy Lands. This is an order of Paladins of Horus, as well as followers of many other deities united in common cause & enjoying widespread popular support with humans all over the Mediterranean.
1011 A.R. Today…

Eldorian

First Post
"Hey, did anyone catch what Glaucon was saying?"
"It was all Greek to me."

Hardy har har har.

retreats back to the darkness

Eldorian Antar

Manzanita

First Post
History Part II

Rome. Currently ruled by Emperor Caesarean, son of Julius Caesar and Queen Cleopatra of Egypt. Cleopatra is actually Greek, the Greeks having conquered Egypt back in the day of Alexander the Great. His general Ptolemy settled as ruler of Egypt in the succession wars that followed Alexander’s death. His family had ruled ever since. Upon Cleopatra’s marriage to Caesar, Egypt became part of the Roman Empire.

Caesarean has two sons, Julian, who is a follower of Athena, & Octavian, who is a follower of Ares. It is well known that control of the Empire is divided between the followers of these two deities. Over the past few centuries, control of the empire has gone both ways. Many powerful people, both inside & outside of the empire, support one or the other of these sons as heir, for varied reasons.

Perhaps you can tell, much has yet to be fleshed out in this world. Feel free to make suggestions, particularly if you have historical knowledge of some region of this period.

Manzanita

First Post
Combat style

When posting combat actions, I like to see some if-thens, to keep things moving. Something like this would be great:

"If the orcs advance on his friend Arther, Sargon will intercept them & defend Arther, otherwise, Sargon will attack the nearest Orc, striking with his long sword until it dies. If Sargon is brought to below 5 HPs, then he will retreat in the direction of the cleric."

That way I can play out multiple rounds & don't have to wait as much for people to post.

Manzanita

First Post
Experience points

whoops. I've realized I assigned about 475 extra experience points to everyone for that combat. (The sahuagin weren't really all that tough, were they?). This was due to a careless lack of updating my spreadsheet formulas from an earlier estimate.

At this point, only two of you have responded with updated PC sheets. I'm thinking it might be fun to be 2nd level a little bit longer. Chime in if you want, but I'm tempted to drop everyone's points by 475, which would leave everyone still at 2nd level (barely).

Remove ads