• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[D&D 3.5] War of the Burning Sky [OOC] [Closed]

Rhun

First Post
pneumatik, how are you handling crafting. I was thinking that during these weeks of travel time, Hollister would have scribed a few scrolls, just to have some of his utility powers available should the need arise. However, since we are exactly keeping track of experience, I didn't know how you wanted to handle this? Do you just want to use the gold piece cost? I could see this getting abused at later levels if there isn't some other type of drawback.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Or you could limit it to so many spell lvls per day? Or just one scroll per day since you need to stop traveling and set about doing the work. While in town I have no clue as you could have a whole day to yourself.

It would still be limited to how much GP you have to spend.

I should think of a few scrolls for Shaylir as she spends a lot of slots on healing.

HM

Rhun

First Post
Right...I just figure that Hollister's spell slots are usually filled with combat oriented spells. If he could scribe a couple of scrolls with like knock and comprehend languages and stuff, it might give us some extra options if situations that require those arose.

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
Since XP is a river, if anyone crafts or does anything else that involves losing xp they'll just level a little later than the rest of the party whenever the next level-up is.

HM, don't forget that you'll need the scribe scroll feat to scribe your own scrolls.

Thanee

First Post
He's a Wizard... unless he has used a character option to swap it against something else, he should have Scribe Scroll (1st level Wizard bonus feat). :)

Bye
Thanee

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
I know Hollister has scribe scroll, but Shaylir doesn't.

As for the original question about how many scrolls Hollister can scribe, assuming three weeks of travel and 1 scroll every two days so as to not slow down the party much, that's 8 scrolls.

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
Some more KotAC info

The following is public, or at least non-secret information about the KotAC

The rank of a KotAC is reflected in their title. All full knights (every KotAC member above squire) is titled :

Staret {Name}, {KotAC Rank}

The rank consists of at least two words, an adjective and a noun. The adjective appears to never change and the noun reflects their rank. Other adjectives and adverbs sometimes show up in titles, with more senior knights more likely to have more extra words.

The lowest rank of full knights is Vigil. As an example, Liiros is Staret Liiros Tivaniel, Determined Vigil. Determined is his adjective and Vigil is his noun.

The next rank is known as Beast of the Earth. Knights of this rank have an earthbound mundane creature as their noun. For example, the very first post in the campaign included an NPC named Staret Vilina Lea, Stalwart Wolverine. Both Vigils and Beasts of the Earth usually have few leadership responsibilities within the order and either operate independently or supervise small groups of knights.

The next three ranks are Beast of the Air, Monster of the Earth, and Monster of the Air. These ranks have more leadership responsibility, with Monsters of the Earth and Air often leading organized companies or regiments of knights into battle.

The highest rank are the Great Beasts. They have the most powerful monsters in their rank, like dragons, devils, and liches. There are only ever a handful of knights at this rank. They direct broad movements of the knights and direct the order's interests. They also lead entire armies of knights into battle when necessary.

Okay, everything from here down is not publicly known IC, but I'm posting it here because Liiros would know it and I don't want to keep the whole party in the dark for the whole campaign.

Knights that have been in their rank for at least two years can add "Elder" to their rank, as in "Elder Driven Hawk". At least at the more junior ranks, Knights who have earned a promotion but can't be because all the ranks above them are full can add additional superlatives to their rank, like "Most" or "Very". At the middle and upper ranks the titles get more fanciful but appear to have less structure, though they always keep the "adjective noun" form.

The powers of the knight will be made available to PC knights as feats. Liiros is now eligible to take the Unleash Inner Strength feat, described below:

Unleash Inner Strength [Knight of the Aquiline Cross]
You have learned to unleash the inner strength latent in all of us so that you can better serve the greater good.
Prerequisite
Vigil rank in the Knights of the Aquiline Cross.
Benefit
Once per day for each KotAC feat you posess you can unleash your inner strength. This is a swift action that provokes an attack of opportunity. You gain +4 to Strength for 3 rounds plus your Wisdom modifier. You may end this effect early as a free action. Once this effect is over you have -2 to strength and constitution for the same amount of time it was in effect. This ability doesn't stack with rage or rage-like abilities and can never be used if you're under a rage or rage-like effect.

Arkhandus

First Post
Hmmm........seems like a neat feat for a high-Wisdom character like a Cleric, Druid, Paladin, or Ranger, but not a good fit for Liiros. He has zero Wisdom bonus, and while the added Strength would help in his melee focus, it's just not worth one of his precious few feat slots when it would only apply for 3 rounds of a single battle each day (followed by 3 rounds of equivalent weakness, no less!). A single level of Barbarian for Rage 1/day would serve him better, if he were inclined towards that kind of uncivilized behavior.

He absolutely needs to take Weapon Focus at 6th or 9th level in order to qualify for Eternal Blade later, and he needs at least 1 Martial Study feat and 1 other Martial Study or Martial Stance feat later to qualify for certain maneuvers. I would need to give up Martial Study (Ancient Mountain Hammer) or Martal Study (Adamantine Bones) at upper levels if I took Unleash Inner Strength at some point. So giving up a later 1/encounter or 2/encounter ability for DR 20/adamantine or a +12d6 damage DR-ignoring special attack, in exchange for +2 on melee attacks/damage for 3 rounds per day.

I might consider it later for flavor/RP purposes, but I dunno. Liiros is only ever going to learn a handful of decent attacks and the vast majority of his maneuvers/stances/class features over time are defensive/healing in nature.

Thanks for the info, though.

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
@Liiros, don't worry about not taking the feat. I stole it pretty directly from the KotW PClass. If you didn't have a feat-heavy build in mind the KotAC feat might have been a good fit, but it looks like it just won't work. I also have ideas for revamping the PClass to make it not so terrible (it was written at the beginning of 3.0) but I had no idea how to turn it into an initiator class.

Remove ads