• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

dungeons and dragons: Heroes ?

WSmith

First Post
While we are on the subject, anyone know of a good site to compare PS2 with XBox? Here is my situation:

I know about nothing about console games, as I have been out of the loop since Super Nintendo. :eek: I am looking to get one soon, and have decided it to either by the XBox or PS2. This is why I am finding it hard to make my decision:

First, both Dark Alliance and Heroes will be released for both systems. (But I think the LOTR games will only be for XBox, not sure)

Both play DVDs, or at least I think.

The PS2 can play PS1 games. Backwards compatability is a big plus. It is one of the stikes against Nintendo, IMO. And with XBox, there really isn't anything for it to be back-compat. with.

The only games my wife likes are Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Mac. I know there is a classic game thins for PS2, but not XBox.

So, can anyone help me? Sorry for the hijack.

Back to the D&D Heroes. I saw the info and really like it. I haven't played console games in a while. I have played BG in the past on the PC. I guess you have to know when you play a console game it will be more action, (i.e. hackfest) than RPing, which is fine by me. :)

Zakath

First Post
WSmith i will tell you GET the XBox. Actually get Neverwinter nights and what else do you need? but if you must get one of those game systems get the Xbox. Ive owned every system that has ever came out and i truelly like the XBox. And so do my friends we when get together and play multiplayer 16 man HALO! MWHAHAHAHHAA. Or even when you just play it multiplayer. You can even do the campiagn multiplayer. I only think that the campiagn can be played with 2 player though... Of course when you have this HUGE board and 16 people running aruond and they cant cheat and see you screen. And then you get them in the sights of your sniper riffle and blow their freaking heads off...its AWESOME! also Morrowind is pretty good too i just wish THAT game were multiplayer because i like the medieval setting so much better than futuristic crap. but hey. its all good. Oh and from what i here there is some golf game for the Xbox and its pretty sweet too. Outlaw Golfing or something like that. Where you can be a stripper or a ex-con or a wanna be rapper and you can beat your caddy up. And the girls shake their boobs and twists each others nipples and all the characters in the game make hilarious coments. *shrugs* but thats if you like that whacked out stuff. Anyways i really like the Xbox much better than the PS2. Infact if you play any sports games on PS or PS2, like football or basketball games there is a noticible lag time in game play. From the time you press the button and the time the guy reacts there is a slight delay in his movement which realyl gets on my nerves because im a instinct type of player. And on the XBox i really havent noticed it very much. Hell on N64 there is less lag time and thats where i enjoy playing my sports game. Anyways ive also high-jacked this thread way more than i should so ill go ahead and go. But dude i say get the XBox, its well worth it.

WSmith

First Post
Thanks for the info. Funny thing is, last night I had a dream about being one of six winners of an XBox through some contest I really did enter in real life. :D

On the issue of NWN, I have been waiting for it, but I don't think my computer can handle it. I have an AMD K-6 2 400, 128MB SDRAM, and ATI 32MB Rage Fury AGP card. I just will have to wait to get a new computer sometime next year maybe. I may still try to see if ID2 will work on it.

Anyway, I like the look of this Heroes game.

Ristamar

Adventurer
I recommend a PS2 or Gamecube. Buying an XBox might be a bit of a risk, as Microsoft is taking some big losses due to its lackluster sales. Consider the following...

From firingsquad.com:
Cnet News has some information about the Xbox and how it is slated to become a hybrid machine that will not only be a game console, but make use of the Ultimate TV software to become a digital video recorder as well. The article states that the Xbox is losing far more money than expected so Microsoft will try to transition the Xbox into a high margin product.

Original financial estimates for the Xbox console had it losing a total of $900 million over eight years. However, sales of the the Xbox have been staggeringly low compared to the initial projections and have fallen behind the revised projections issued earlier this year. Because of those low sales and the recent price cut per unit from $299 to $199, the Xbox is expected to lose a minimum of $750 million this fiscal year alone, and may easily lose another $1.1 billion next fiscal year. In order for the Xbox to survive, Microsoft will have to not only cut component costs from $325 per unit to $225 over five years, but increase game unit sales, which have also under performed dramatically compared to initial projections.
On the flip side, it does sound like a cool feature, though I can't say it's high on the list of things I want out of my gaming system. *shrug*

Last edited:

Remove ads