Elysium Squad OOC

Fenris

Adventurer
Nonlethal Force said:
Bront, Fenris: Replies should be back in your E-mail boxes. If you didn't get them, let me know and I'll resend.

Got it. Thanks! I have much to ponder.......................................

Eluvan

First Post
Okay, so I've had a little time to work on my character tonight, and the stats are pretty much finished. Couple of questions though:

- Is the Slayer of Domiel, from the BoED, an acceptable PrC choice for the future? I just realised how deeply I dislike the Consecrated Harrier PrC, and how mechanically unfit it is for the concept I had in mind even if the fluff is a good match.

- What's the background to our characters at the start of the game? What are we doing in this super-evil kingdom, and did we all come from the same place originally or have we been called in from all over the place?

Nonlethal Force

First Post
As to the background question, there is a bit of information posted earlier here:

Background Info stuff

If that helps a little bit, cool. In addition to that, I would say that King Sigfried (See information thread re: post on Barghost) has been advised by the priests of the temple of Pelor in Hipposus to send in a reconnaissance squad to estimate the threat level of the minions in Quehalost. The purpose of the squad is to enter, observe, and destroy anything and everything that is within their capability - so long as it is evil.

Religiously, it is being touted as Pelor's becon of light shinning into the dark side of the land.

Politically, it is Barghost coming to the aid of its neighboring lands and bolstering them in the fight.

Militarily, it is an advanced party sent in to gather information for a possible massive military action against the evil infiltrating the land.

Without giving away too many specifics, that is the jist.

Of course, this is not a "typical" scout party beause the dangerous level of fighting will require much more than just stealth. I don't want people to get the idea that this will be a "hide-and-seek" type game. More like a "search-and-destoy." I hope that is music to everyone's ears. There will be brief periods of "Oh look, a good (or neutral) person struggling against the system and trying to make a difference." There will be periods of "sure, we can help protect your caravan as you try to deliver medical supplies." (No, not that literal example. :p ) But for the most part it will be, "What ... a demon? SMITE!" or even "What ... a wight? SMITE!" How that happens, of course, is up to the party. It could be full of "going in with guns blazing" type encounters or it could be "scout 'em out and pick off the stragglers" type encounters. That depends on the party's style and gifts. My guess is probably a healthy dose of both types of approaches given the circumstances at hand.

But ... I digress. I do that alot. To make a long story short - the party is being summoned to infiltrate Quehalost. Nobody really knows what they will find and how bad it is. Demons, undead, and even devils are reported to have crossed from Quehalost into Tongra and Fenneress - although not in the same places and not necessarily woking together. The party is going to find out information and do what damage they can. [There might be a few other caveats added along the way, but this is the main jist.] I suppose in many respects it is not unlike a US Navy Seal mission done D&D style. Go in, kick butt, collect info, and if you value your life don't get captured or you're coming back against the enemy as a wight ... or vampire ... or tortured soul ... :)

Okay, I am now getting carried away. I hope the above direction of the game is intriguing to the interested players. I have tried to paint an exciting approach to the Good vs. Evil clash of wills.

Oh .. yeah. You asked about the Slayier of Domiel PrC. This game has really gotten me thinking about tweaking the cosmology of the typical Greyhawk world. Not eliminating things, but regrouping the deities into "families." If you don't mind the possibility of being a "Slayer of Pelor" or some other related deity (perhaps even Domiel, but unlikely) then certainly the class is approved for future use. Essentially, nothing about the class would change except the deity venerated. If you are really into Domiel for some reason, then lets talk. If you've got a specific reason for wanting to pick up worship of Domiel later on in the game, I am certainly willing to listen.

Last edited:

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Eluvan said:
Mmmmph... actually, sorry to be a pain in the ass, but I think I'm going to do a complete reversal and make a sorceror instead. :lol:

As long as I am allowed to laugh at you for setting up a whole character concept and then reversing it, you can certainly do what you'd like! :p

Eluvan said:
Partly because I just find myself inspired to do so, and partly because the party has no arcanist at the moment.

A very valid concern. If you feel like going with a sorcerer, go right ahead.

Eluvan said:
Anyhow, I'm interested in a Drakontos, but the problem I have is the ruling that 'the Heritage is so strongly woven to the Drakontos' personality that they will never act out of their own alignment unless they are under the influence of a magical effect'. To me, a good alignment is meaningless unless there is some conflict, unless it is occassionally challenging to uphold.

Well, you know what they say about never using "never," right. Its more like me as a DM saying this:

The Drakontos are highly loyal to their heritage dragon and their family respect given to the dragon type is substantial. [Granted - not quite the same as deity worship] Of course, everyone has free will to act as they will. But through family upbringing, culture, training, and everything else that makes a person the way that they are - they can be assumed to go a certain way on a majority of issues. In other words, if the character is NG ... the character should be assumed to act in most respects as an NG would. If they lean a little LG in one encounter they might lean a little CG in the next. But with a Drakontos player I shouldn't have the "So, you wanna change your alignment" conversation with the player. That is really what I am saying. The alignment should be constant. Not a chasm that can never be crossed ... but still a very strong influence in their life.

That help any?

Eluvan

First Post
Well... the first thing to bear in mind is that Domiel isn't, in fact, a deity - he's a Celestial Paragon. It's a somewhat subtle distinction, perhaps, but it could potentially be important in that it's possible (and it's what I'm planning on) for a Slayer of Domiel to worship Pelor.

That said... if you have a problem with adding Celestial Paragons to the cosmology of your homebrew, then feel free to just pull rank and say you don't want 'em. I can live with that - we can just make the Slayer of Domiel into a generic 'Righteous Slayer' or somesuch (if you can come up with a better name, please do :p).

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Eluvan said:
Well... the first thing to bear in mind is that Domiel isn't, in fact, a deity - he's a Celestial Paragon. It's a somewhat subtle distinction, perhaps, but it could potentially be important in that it's possible (and it's what I'm planning on) for a Slayer of Domiel to worship Pelor.

That said... if you have a problem with adding Celestial Paragons to the cosmology of your homebrew, then feel free to just pull rank and say you don't want 'em. I can live with that - we can just make the Slayer of Domiel into a generic 'Righteous Slayer' or somesuch (if you can come up with a better name, please do :p).

He he he. This conversation is kinda funny, actually. You can go with the slayer concept or the arcanist, whichever you would like. Really. Take your time and see which one feels better. :D

As far as Domiel being a Celestial paragon .. I am aware of that. The problem is that he is a part of Celestia, and not Elysium. In a normal game, that really doesn't matter so much as planar thought doesn't really come into play. But with a group focused on religion as a binding issue, I want to make sure I do planar things that make sense. If paragon worship would be what you are after, is there a paragon of Elysium that would suffice? Perhaps Talsid, Sathia, Manath, Vhara, Kharash, or Bharrai? Because if paragon worship is what you are after and you are interested in joining Pelor to someone - in my mind it would make sense to join Pelor with either Talsid or one of the five companions.

Again, though, a decision need not be cemented if the paragon worship isn't part of the character concept yet... let's continue to talk. :)

On a side note ... ever wonder why they are all called celestial paragons when some of them are not from celestia? ;)

Eluvan

First Post
Heh... darn, I thought I managed to slip that little wavering about the arcanist past you... I edited out the post after changing my mind once more, but obviously you'd already seen it. ;)

I'll bear the drakontos in mind, anyway - but I lost some interest after I realised that I would want to play an elemental savant in that case, and that sorcerors don't make great elemental savants really since they have to take a full-round action every time they want to use an Energy Substituted spell.

The paragon thing is interesting to me, because whilst I agree that planar cosmology isn't something you'd expect to come up in the typical game... it's something I do envisage coming up in this game, and I certainly hope it does because personally I find it fascinating. I really would like to get quite deeply into philosophical/theological issues in this game, and the implications of worshipping Pelor, an Elysian power, and yet also revering Domiel, a Celestial power, are interesting to me. Basically it just highlights the theological implications that are already inherent in the idea of a Lawful Good character worshipping a Neutral Good deity.

I'm not proposing that Domiel and Pelor be tied together in a cosmological sense; that wouldn't make that much sense. They'd likely be on pretty decent terms, but not part of the same 'family'. But to my character, they are the two powers that inspire him to worship/reverence, and the fact that Domiel would likely be allied to Hieronious rather than Pelor doesn't change that.

Remove ads