• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

HM's AP for PbP -(closed group, playtesting)

jkason

First Post
Ack. This is what I get for not checking the boards for most of the weekend. :confused:

Looks like folks have pretty much scoped out divine (druid) arcane (witch) and martial (barbarian). Leaves the rogue, I suppose?

I suppose my thug from the other game never got much of a play, so I could re-build him for this game? His more brutal nature might be a good fit for a desert environment. He definitely wouldn't be a good face character, though. ;)

I'll have to skim over the classes to see if any of the skill monkeys have better desert archetypes than others.

sunshadow21

Explorer
There isn't much for desert archetypes outside the druid, but the elf has an alternate racial feature desert runner and there is a trait for the desert.

sunshadow21

Explorer
I am thinking elf witch at this point for the desert runner and access to Breadth of Experience. If someone else could take nature and dungeoneering, than I can take arcana, planes, and history, with untrained access to all the others. That gives us trained access to all the creature knowledges and at least some access to all the others.

Dragonwriter

First Post
I should be able to cover Know: Nature. I'm still not set on just how smart my halfling will be, but it should be enough to have ranks in Nature.

I'm definitely going mounted melee with this character (ranged is too feat-intensive and slings are a crappy choice). Spells will probably focus on buffs and a few healing spells for if things turn sour.

HM, mind if I make up a deity? Definitely going to be one to do with scorpions. ;)

rangerjohn

Explorer
Or the Clash of the Titans remake.

Odd, I thought quick reply would refer to the original post somehow. This is in reference to riding scorpions.

jackslate45

First Post
I do not have the luxury of INT based skills, as the only one I have access to as a class skill is Nature, and I am 75% certain I am at least partially dumping INT.

On another note, I will have intimidate for when we need to shake someone down.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Looks like folks have pretty much scoped out divine (druid) arcane (witch) and martial (barbarian). Leaves the rogue, I suppose?

I suppose my thug from the other game never got much of a play, so I could re-build him for this game? His more brutal nature might be a good fit for a desert environment. He definitely wouldn't be a good face character, though. ;)

I'll have to skim over the classes to see if any of the skill monkeys have better desert archetypes than others.

You could bring back the foul mouth Reb if you wish, np. If you have UM I would look into the trapper/guide or ranger(trapper)/rogue combo. Thing about PF is there are so many combos. Oh and glad you made it to the party. :)

I should be able to cover Know: Nature. I'm still not set on just how smart my halfling will be, but it should be enough to have ranks in Nature.

I'm definitely going mounted melee with this character (ranged is too feat-intensive and slings are a crappy choice). Spells will probably focus on buffs and a few healing spells for if things turn sour.

HM, mind if I make up a deity? Definitely going to be one to do with scorpions. ;)

Was thinking what about casting spells from scorpion back? Not sure what druid spells would be useful with range feats but there must be a couple. And the scorpions ability to climb and get you out of melee and set up range seems to good to waste slogging it out.

Also can you extract scorpion venom for coating arrows? Druid doesn't have a good missile weapon but a dip into barbarian or something might help add to the character.

Your call of course just tossing out the ideas that popped in my head. And yes please make up a desert scorpion god if you wish, love to see what you come up with.

I do not have the luxury of INT based skills, as the only one I have access to as a class skill is Nature, and I am 75% certain I am at least partially dumping INT.

On another note, I will have intimidate for when we need to shake someone down.

Oh no a barbarian who is dropping INT for CHA what is this mad world coming to???? :p

With the extra 5 points for abilities (from the norm) I think you could be a power house - STR 18, DEX 14, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 12

hmmm... was trying for a 20 STR maybe not as many points as I thought. Wanted CON way up. Would be getting 13 HP per lvl (14 if you take toughness, 15/lvl if you put the FC bonus there).

Quite the mixed race party: half-orc, elf, halfling let me see how I can add some fluff for that. Maybe the expedition isn't trusting the local human populace for some reason and wanted more "other races" to explore the tomb.

Will figure this out. Part of getting this AP together.

NPC: human - cavalier (yes camel as mount duh :p) and dipping into oracle I'm thinking some type of desert mystic warrior.

Any other ideas this is really a help out where need type character.

HM

Last edited:

Dragonwriter

First Post
Was thinking what about casting spells from scorpion back? Not sure what druid spells would be useful with range feats but there must be a couple. And the scorpions ability to climb and get you out of melee and set up range seems to good to waste slogging it out.

Casting spells while riding (if the mount is moving quickly) requires a Concentration check and it's a lot harder to make it in PF. And I'm already settled on mounted melee. Like I said, ranged is too feat-intensive (even with PF's feat boosts). To be reasonable at it, I'd need to do one of three things: take Martial Weapon Proficiency, dip a martial class, or change race to Elf. Then I'd need Point Blank and Precise Shot to actually do my job and Rapid Shot would be a good idea, too. I'd really be better off just going Ranger if I wanted to focus on archery.
And given how I've played a number of Ranger characters, I'd prefer to take a Druid this time and play with some real magic. ;)

As for the spells, like I said, mostly buff spells. Probably a few battlefield control ones, to be cast when my scorpion isn't moving me around the field, and probably a couple of attack spells at higher level (Call Lightning has always been a favorite for the cool factor).

Also can you extract scorpion venom for coating arrows? Druid doesn't have a good missile weapon but a dip into barbarian or something might help add to the character.

I was reading up on PF poisons just the other day because of this. According to RAW, making poisons requires a Craft (alchemy) check and Alchemy requires a lab... Naturally, rules are always subject to DM fiat, and this may well be one of the cases where a change (such as reduced cost to create the poison, due to having a free source of raw poison material) would make good sense.

Your call of course just tossing out the ideas that popped in my head. And yes please make up a desert scorpion god if you wish, love to see what you come up with.

Oh, I appreciate them. Brainstorming is often helpful. :)
I'll get to work on that deity... Probably something similar in style to the Egyptian Sobek. A necessary evil, tolerated because his doings weren't as dangerous and kept out the nastier elements...

Quite the mixed race party: half-orc, elf, halfling let me see how I can add some fluff for that. Maybe the expedition isn't trusting the local human populace for some reason and wanted more "other races" to explore the tomb.

Will figure this out. Part of getting this AP together.

NPC: human - cavalier (yes camel as mount duh :p) and dipping into oracle I'm thinking some type of desert mystic warrior.

Any other ideas this is really a help out where need type character.

HM

Camel isn't required for the mount... Look at Arabian horses. Some of the finest, toughest animals in the world and they live in a very similar environment.
Hmm... Beyond providing a little direction if the group needs it, what purpose is this NPC supposed to serve?

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
But horses don't spit, :p LOL

The NPC is for filling a needed role, and to help push things along if players get stuck (which I hope not). He is to be a native and know the history and lay of the land if most PCs come from outside the cultural area, (which I don't think is happening here) as well. He is to introduce PC to other groups/locations in future adventures where is is a known persona.

I thought of cavalier for teamwork feats and he could be an added flanker as I see three out of four PC look to be melee types. Could just as well be a ranger and get the camel later (saying his mount is at another location till he is of a lvl to get it crunch-wise).

Oracle for healing and to use a few new UM things.

Also there is this if you plan on taking Combat Casting.

Uncanny Concentration · (pre req Combat Casting) Don't make concentration checks for violent movement, gain a +2 bonus on all other concentration checks.

HM

sunshadow21

Explorer
I'm actually playing through LoF with one of the others playing a cavalier with a camel. That camel was the toughest thing in the party for the first couple levels.

Remove ads