D&D 5E (IC) Vault of the Dracolich (Dispensables)

FitzTheRuke

Legend

Bobranthus slides down the hill and before the Half-Orc can rise, slams him in the shoulder with his warhammer. The half-orc rolls to one side, and Bob cuts him deep on the arm with his axe.

Terrus leaps an astounding distance over the ice, and strikes a guard so hard, that his unconscious form flies thirty feet through the air, landing with a crunch on a rock up the hill. The rock is covered with Pyrus' ice sheet, and the body slides back down the hill to rest near Terrus's feet.

Corrah catches up to the group, clambering over a rock behind Pyrus. She pops up and lobs two arrows from her shortbow, which strike the ground around the now-shaken guard phalanx. "Are we takin' prisoners today? I sure would like to ask these jerks a few questions."

The Captain, struggling forward, fires his crossbow at Terrus and the quarrel breaks on the latter's stony hide.

The two remaining Guards cower behind their shields, desperately thrusting their spears at Terrus. One of them gets lucky and the point of his spear bites Terrus in the shoulder.

The Half-Orc growls, rising. His shoulder swollen, his arm nearly limp. Nevertheless, he swings his greataxe at Bob, while howling in great pain. His mad swing slashes a shallow gash on Bob's chest.

The two thugs run from behind the wagon, to cover behind some rocks. They load and fire crossbows. One at Bob, which strikes him in the leg, but he doesn't seem to care. The other at Terrus, grazing him slightly.

End Round Two.

GM: Meh. Trying to split you up into groups didn't work.
I guess because the bad guys all rolled the same init (maybe I should have rolled more than two inits for them).
So for round three, just post away. I see initiative as simultaneous as well as consecutive anyway.
(In that you could theoretically look around and see the others doing what their doing, while you are doing your thing.)
So if someone posts before you, assume you can tell that they are doing it. We will resolve things in order, though.

[sblock=Rolls]
Corrah's Shortbow
_: 1D20+4 = [4]+4 = 8
1D6+2 = [5]+2 = 7

_: 1D20+4 = [2]+4 = 6
1D6+2 = [2]+2 = 4

Captain's Crossbow at Terrus
_: 1D20+5 = [9]+5 = 14
1D10+3 = [5]+3 = 8

Guard 2 & 3 Spears at Terrus
_: 1D20+3 = [18]+3 = 21
1D6+1 = [5]+1 = 6

_: 1D20+3 = [3]+3 = 6
1D6+1 = [2]+1 = 3

Half-Orc
_: 1D20+5 = [17]+5 = 22
1D12+3 = [3]+3 = 6

Thug 1 Crossbow at Terrus
_: 1D20+2 = [19]+2 = 21
1D10 = [1] = 1

Thug 2 Crossbow at Bob
_: 1D20+2 = [16]+2 = 18
1D10 = [9] = 9

[/sblock]

Damage Taken
Bob (Raging) 2+6(3)+9(4) = 9, Terrus 7, Captain 32, G1 & G4 DEAD, Half-Orc 26 Thug1 4

FitzTheRuke

Legend
End of Round Two:
Merc Fight 2.png

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: Remembered to throw the Spiritual Weapon on this time!

Edit: Oops! I left a selection tool on Bob when I printed it. Heh.

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Pyrus sees his brother's antics and rolls his eyes. "Show off," he mutters under his breath, though secretly he is impressed at his brother's strength. He levels his eyes at one of the guards near Terrus (guard 2) and fires another energy bolt, this one made of fire.

OOC: Attack: DC 13 dex save or take [roll0] fire damage.

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
Sesto is impressed with he others fighting style. "I think we will be victorious today."
Sesto looks at the Captain that is struggling to stay upright and away from his spectral mace. He moves the mace closer to the Captain and attacks again, trying to just knock him unconscious. "Ha! No peace for the wicked."
The half-orc showed some great agility earlier when he ducked out of the way from the sacred flame. "Hmmm", Sesto thinks, "I think I will flame one of those Thugs instead. Let's see how good they are to avoid my strikes."
Sesto hears Corrah's shout. "I will try to keep their leader alive for you to question later."

OOC: Bonus Action: Move Spiritual Weapon next to the Captain and attack.
Damage: Spiritual Weapon attack with bless and damage: 1D20+1D4+6 = [3]+[4]+6 = 13
1D8+4 = [2]+4 = 6

Action: Sacred Flame on Thug 1
Sacred Flame damage (Radiant, Dex save DC14 for no damage): 1D8 = [8] = 8
Movement: stay in place

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: I did it for the River Gang, so I'll do it for the Dispensables: Time Check: Imani said it was "three hours before sunset" when the groups split. It took about 5 minutes to gather gear, and 15 minutes travelling along the ridge to get to the lookout. Bob spent 5 minutes or so observing the Watchtower. It took 30 minutes to get to the ambush site. So you are at 2 hours to sundown. (Same as them!)

(Incidently, Corrah had reported that the Wagon was "an hour or so" from the Bridge. You are still 20 minutes from the bridge on foot. The road is actually terrible to take a wagon up, and this wagon is heavy. Corrah is good at estimating time and distance, but this wagon has taken a bit longer than she expected, and she was pleased to see that it hadn't passed the ambush site. She figures the "or so" part makes her estimate just right.)

gargoyleking

Adventurer
With a worthy enemy before him, bob stands his ground. The terrain was tricky enough without adding to it, and he relished a good fight. To his opponent he spoke in the language of orcs. "Nice tusks. Looks like tiny pebbles!" With that he pressed the attack.

Chronicler

Explorer
av-devan.jpg
[sblock="Status Box"]Devan the Dawnbringer
NG (L) Human Sorcerer 1/Warlock 3

Size: M | Speed: 30 ft. | Senses: Passive Perception 13

Initiative: +2 | Armor Class: 18 | Hit Dice: 1d6+3d8+8+1 | Hit Points: 30

Spell Slots: 1st-lvl: 1/2, [W] 2nd-lvl: 2 | Concentration: Hex

Affected by: None | Conditions: None[/sblock] With the mercenaries' leader breaking cover, Devan decided to keep up the pressure on the heavily injured man. If he could just take him out, then it was possible the enemy's morale might falter. Cutting the head off a snake would cause the body to wither and die--an apt comparison in this case.

Focusing his magickal will, the determined Inquisitor drew upon his divine spark and directed another bolt of sorcerouos energy at his target. Once this fight is over, we can move on to our real objective, he contemplated, as if the outcome of his team's ambush was already a foregone conclusion. Hindsight would reveal whether he was mistaken or not.

[sblock="OOC"]Move: Holding position and sticking to cover.
Action: Casting eldritch blast at the captain.
Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1] + [roll2] (from hex) = [13][/sblock]

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Location: Ambush Site (Road Switchback) 2 hours before Nightfall.

Round Three

Pyrus sends a bolt of fire at a guard, which shatters into sparks as the guard raises his shield and ducks.

Devan fires his eldritch blast at the Captain, who stumbles from the force of the blow, dropping his crossbow.

Sesto's flying mace chases the Captain, who ducks and draws a fiendish curved sword.
He roars and rushes toward Terrus, a wild look in his eye.

Sesto shines Lathander's sacred flame at a Thug, who hides from it in the shadow of a large rock.

Bob smashes the Half-Orc driver in the face, sending his tusk flying into the air. The Half-Orc stands gurgling for a moment, his jaw hanging limp, then falls flat on his face. Stomping over the body, Bob brings his axe down on a guard, still holding his shield up against Pyrus' fire. The guard's shield-arm crumples under the impact of Bob's axe, dislocating the man's shoulder. He cries out in pain.

Terrus slams his greatsword on a guard's shield.

Corrah lobs a few more arrows toward the Thugs but they are protected by the large rocks. She skips over her rock and slides down the hill to behind Devan.
"I'm with you: Kill their leader. He probably won't talk anyway." she frowns, considering, "But what if the other guys know nothing? Maybe Sesto has the right idea."

The Captain madly swings his curved blade at Terrus. It sparks as it slides across Terrus's skin.

The injured Guard thrusts his spear desperately at Bob, but he's in such pain, Bob easily swats it aside.

The other Guard thrusts his spear at Terrus, who blocks with his greatsword.

"Get over here and kill them!" roars the Captain to the hiding Thugs. They drop their crossbows, pull maces of their belts, and hustle up to batter away at Bob and Terrus, landing a few minor blows.

GM: Starting to get the hang of it. If anyone catches me making a mistake, let me know. There's a lot to keep track of and I'm only just starting to figure out what I'm doing.

[sblock=rolls]
Corrah's Shortbow Shots at Thugs:
_: 1D20+4 = [11]+4 = 15
1D6+2 = [2]+2 = 4

_: 1D20+4 = [6]+4 = 10
1D6+2 = [3]+2 = 5

Captain's Sword attacks at Terrus:
_: 1D20+5 = [15]+5 = 20
1D6+3 = [2]+3 = 5

_: 1D20+5 = [8]+5 = 13
1D6+3 = [6]+3 = 9

G2's Dex Save vs Pyrus' flame: