• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Spider-man no way home trailer

R_J_K75

Legend
Except, not for the conceit of this specific movie. They can pull in literally any of the classic Spider-Man villains without any backstory at all, because of the Multiverse bleed-through.
Good point. That occurred to me as well when we first brought it up. I look at it this way. Darth Vader was a very effective villain in EPIV without any back story other than a few lines of exposition from OB1.

Rune

Once A Fool
I think, in this movie, they’re going to be counting on the audience bringing expectations about these villains into it with them (how else could they do so many?). Introducing new villains would undercut that.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
"Spider-Man vs group of rogues gallery" is a pretty standard thing in the comics - that's what the Sinister Six is, after all. This is just a way to do that without having to re-establish all the villains.

MGibster

Legend
I think, in this movie, they’re going to be counting on the audience bringing expectations about these villains into it with them (how else could they do so many?). Introducing new villains would undercut that.
Yeah. It's why the Avengers movies worked. The audience already knew the stories of Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk, and to a lesser extent Black Widow and Hawkeye from earlier movies. Spider-Man 3 probably couldn't have worked just fine with the introduction of both Sandman and Venom. But, for reasons I don't understand, the writers decided to go back and change the events of the 1st movie by making Cain Marko the real murderer of Uncle Ben. Come on, the audience saw the first movie. You can't just tell us what we saw wasn't what happened.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But, for reasons I don't understand, the writers decided to go back and change the events of the 1st movie by making Cain Marko the real murderer of Uncle Ben. Come on, the audience saw the first movie. You can't just tell us what we saw wasn't what happened.

I cannot speak to the specific item, but it is known that there was heavy pressure on Raimi to do things in that movie that he didn't really think were great ideas - like have Venom at all.

Janx

Hero
The multiverse angle is genius. It breaks the 4th wall without breaking the 4th wall. Also, and more importantly, it gives us the best versions of villains we've seen on the big screen. I loved Willem Dafoe and Alfred Molina in the Sam Raimi Spiderman movies. Taking the best portrayals of classic Spiderman villains from other franchises and putting them onscreen is a recipe for success; because let's be honest, half of the reason why Marvel movies have succeeded is they cast the right people.
I agree. It may even stand to reason we'll see a Toby or Garfield swing in to help, which further connects that the events of the other movies DID happen, just elsewhen in the multi-verse.

Heck, Miles Morales would be AWESOME to swoop in and catch a missed catch...

Which would also weave Sony's Spiderverse into a truly connected web. (they didn't invent it, but Into the Spiderverse sets it up in movie format).

Eric V

Hero
Yeah. It's why the Avengers movies worked. The audience already knew the stories of Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk, and to a lesser extent Black Widow and Hawkeye from earlier movies. Spider-Man 3 probably couldn't have worked just fine with the introduction of both Sandman and Venom. But, for reasons I don't understand, the writers decided to go back and change the events of the 1st movie by making Cain Marko the real murderer of Uncle Ben. Come on, the audience saw the first movie. You can't just tell us what we saw wasn't what happened.
The Juggernaut killed Uncle Ben?! :D

Remove ads