• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Obi-Wan Kenobi (spoilers)

Yeah, she's definitely bringing the Leia. I just wonder if they can bring her through all this close contact with Jedi and Inquisitors without playing up the fact that she's strong in the Force too. They've already hinted at it with her almost-supernatural insight into other peoples' personality.

Obi-wan and Yoda obviously know she has Force potential because of their conversation in the original trilogy. The hard part is keeping the bad guys from discovering this. As for the Inquisitors, all the ones we have seen in the show cannot die here, other than the new one, Reva, because the others have their fates later in the time line. So Reva is the only one who could figure out Leia is Force-sensitive, but then die with the knowledge. I just hope Reva does not somehow also figure out Leia is Anakin's kid. That would be one step too far.

MarkB

Legend
Obi-wan and Yoda obviously know she has Force potential because of their conversation in the original trilogy. The hard part is keeping the bad guys from discovering this. As for the Inquisitors, all the ones we have seen in the show cannot die here, other than the new one, Reva, because the others have their fates later in the time line. So Reva is the only one who could figure out Leia is Force-sensitive, but then die with the knowledge. I just hope Reva does not somehow also figure out Leia is Anakin's kid. That would be one step too far.
I'm not too concerned about the bad guys learning that Leia is Force sensitive, because they can always meet a sticky end at some point. I'm more concerned about Leia learning that Leia is Force sensitive, because that would be a bit of a continuity snafu.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

My only quibble was that I thought Anakin = Vader was meant to be a secret. I wouldn’t have thought that even the inquisitors would know. (I understand Obi-Wan knows because he hears Anakin being called Vader in the temple recordings.)
Me too, but I think that’s something we’ve brought to it. Nobody ever said it was a secret. It’s probably not common knowledge, though. Remember by the time of ANH people don’t even believe Jedi were real.

It felt very much in keeping with the rest of what Obi-wan was going through to me. He's got to have a lot of mixed feelings about the clones after having led so many of them in battle. At the same time, I couldn't help wondering whether the clone's Order 66 compulsion was still in there, and if he'd turn murderous in an instant if he caught a glimpse of Obi-wan's lightsaber.
It's hard to figure out how to explain it but I'll try. I agree that it feels very appropriate considering everything Obi-wan has been going through. No argument there. It took me out of the show because the rest of the show has this big adventure vibe to it. Leia is this fish out of water who wants more from life. Obi-wan is dragged back into a conflict he just wanted to leave behind. The bad guys are over the top villains. Kumail Nanjiani is doing Kumail Nanjiani things. All good fun. Even the other bad stuff we saw, like the strung up jedi, felt in keeping with that call to adventure vibe.

But the scene with the trooper hits differently for me. It was like a slice of real life got thrown into my fun story about space wizards. This man who lived past their usefulness to an uncaring machine has to beg to survive. The look on Obi-wan's face knowing that he bares some responsibility for putting him there. Just a gut punch now that he's opening up to helping others again. Like saying, "You want to start caring again, Obi-wan? What about me?" Just a bit too real.

MarkB

Legend
But the scene with the trooper hits differently for me. It was like a slice of real life got thrown into my fun story about space wizards. This man who lived past their usefulness to an uncaring machine has to beg to survive. The look on Obi-wan's face knowing that he bares some responsibility for putting him there. Just a gut punch now that he's opening up to helping others again. Like saying, "You want to start caring again, Obi-wan? What about me?" Just a bit too real.
I get that, but I guess in my case the unease over the clone's potential Order 66 response offset that for me. And it's only one in a series of scenes that are challenging Obi-wan's ability to distance himself from the world, starting with the workers being short-changed by their overseer, then the Jedi who asks for his help, and the Inquisitors threatening Lars.

It's all of a piece - for someone of Obi-wan's skills and conscience, the calls to action and connections to the life he used to live are everywhere, and trying to ignore them is a constant struggle against his own better nature that's clearly been taking a toll on him for awhile now.

pukunui

Legend
As the Grand Inquisitor said, the Jedi Code is an itch. Obi-Wan has been really struggling not to scratch it.

What I wonder about the clone vet scene is why they showed him to us right after Obi-Wan appealed to Qui-Gonn for guidance. I was expecting the clone to help Obi-Wan, but perhaps it was just meant to be a prompt to remind Obi-Wan of his past or something? Not sure what the narrative logic was there.

Other thoughts: will see see the younglings from the opening scene of the attack on the temple? I assumed they showed them to us not just as a reminder of what happened but because they are important to the story going forward. I wonder if perhaps the Jedi who appealed to Obi-Wan for help before being caught was one of them.

What did the Grand Inquisitor mean when he described the Third Sister (Reva) as being “from the gutter”? She seems old enough to have been a youngling, but that comment makes me think she was never a Jedi but was a Force sensitive found by the Empire.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
What I wonder about the clone vet scene is why they showed him to us right after Obi-Wan appealed to Qui-Gonn for guidance. I was expecting the clone to help Obi-Wan, but perhaps it was just meant to be a prompt to remind Obi-Wan of his past or something? Not sure what the narrative logic was there.
That seemed to be guiding Obi back to core value of empathy and providing assistance to those in need. That these moments were next to each seemed very deliberate. I thought this was both subtle — no force ghosts here! —and blatant.
TomB

MarkB

Legend
As the Grand Inquisitor said, the Jedi Code is an itch. Obi-Wan has been really struggling not to scratch it.

Me neither, but at the time I was too distracted by thinking that Liam Neeson is the perfect person to appeal to when trying to track down a kidnapped child.
Other thoughts: will see see the younglings from the opening scene of the attack on the temple? I assumed they showed them to us not just as a reminder of what happened but because they are important to the story going forward. I wonder if perhaps the Jedi who appealed to Obi-Wan for help before being caught was one of them.

What did the Grand Inquisitor mean when he described the Third Sister (Reva) as being “from the gutter”? She seems old enough to have been a youngling, but that comment makes me think she was never a Jedi but was a Force sensitive found by the Empire.
I think those two questions may be of a piece. One of those younglings looks like she could have grown up to be Third Sister, and she's even centred in the frame during the "what do we do now?" "we run." exchange, then takes the lead as they start running.

pukunui

Legend
That seemed to be guiding Obi back to core value of empathy and providing assistance to those in need. That these moments were next to each seemed very deliberate. I thought this was both subtle — no force ghosts here! —and blatant.
TomB
That works.

Me neither, but at the time I was too distracted by thinking that Liam Neeson is the perfect person to appeal to when trying to track down a kidnapped child.
LOL! True.

Those kids would still be too young to be that Jedi or Reva. They both look in their 20s and those kids would still be teens, if any survived. Remember that this is 10 years after Order 66.
Good point!

Remove ads