D&D 5E [OOC] Uller's Out of the Abyss

Uller

Adventurer
They can be anywhere. I just rolled randomly for who got attacked. These things were flying.

Reloading will be an action...attacking the monsters might result in hitting friends (and will be at disadvantage due to darkness.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

SunGold

First Post
Ok, here are my marching order thoughts. I don't care enough about the order to go back and forth, so DMAesh, just change this up however you want and I'll roll with it.

Shuushar
Eldeth
Bert
Surana & Drum
Sarith
Jimjar
Klep
Orsik
Ezraen
Topsy
Turvy
Derendil

Dropping the RP-ish reasons for the order behind a spoiler tag, since it's not necessary reading...
[sblock]-Shuushar & Eldeth are self-explanatory
-Bert's an old hand at traveling in the Underdark, so he'd be comfortable & quick up front
-Surana has to be near Bert to share the light
-Sarith has scooted up a bit to keep a distance from Topsy & Turvy, who are in the back trying to keep a low profile
-Jimjar knows about the twins and knows Sarith will not hesitate to defend himself from them with violence, so he's staying near the drow to team up if things go south
-Klep...tbh I just stuck him here, haha
-Orsik is back here to keep an eye on his fellow man of faith in Ez's dark hour
-Ezraen...I'm actually kinda guessing that he might be hanging back both because he seems the sort of dude to make sure nobody's getting left behind in the webs, and because he might be a bit lost in thought at the moment. (Plus I suspect he's still disgusted enough with Surana that he'd rather keep a distance right now.)
-Derendil's at the back since he was the last to figure out the webs[/sblock]

DMAesh

Explorer
To be honest, Ez isn't disgusted with Surana, so much as he is disappointed with how quickly everyone decided that we are better off leaving the guy behind, and frustrated at himself for not fighting the decision. He is a bit lost, but he will definitely stay at the back to watch out for signs of pursuit, and help Derendil as necessary.

Uller

Adventurer
A couple of rules points relevant to the current encounter:

When you take damage while on the webs you have to make a DC 15 dex save or fall.

My instinct was to have Klep and Sarith have disadvantage on those saves since they are currently blinded (and worse) but the blinded condition doesn't say anything about disadvantage on saves. It only says about attack (adv against and disadvantage for the blinded character) and it says checks that require sight automatically fail. Autofail seems harsh...so I went with niether on the assumption they were already holding fast to the webs.

They can make strength checks to free themselves on their turn. This will be at disadvantage as long as they are holding on to the web. They will become increasingly desperate so I will have them make a DC 10 Wis check to first see if the have the presence of mind to not let go. If the let go they will have to make a Dex save to avoid falling and will have disadvantage on dex saves forced by damage. If they pass by more than 5 they will not have to make further wisdom checks. Each round the DC will go up by 2 for the Wisdom save.

Attacking blindly risks hitting allies. Melee attacks: If you role a nat 1 you make an attack with no bonuses (so just straight d20 roll) against your ally. Since you are blind (and trying to avoid hitting them) and they are blind the attack will be with advantage.

Missile Attacks: if you miss (nat 1 or not) but hit with one of your two rolls then you attack your ally as above. Ranged attacks are significantly riskier.

Sound reasonable?

Jimjar and the twins probably have an idea what these things are...they'll give some advice on their turn.

Edit: clarified/expanded a bit.

Last edited:

SunGold

First Post
Sounds fair.

If Sarith's clinging to the webs, could I use a grapple & then my movement to try and yank the creature off him?

Uller

Adventurer
I would say sure but it's holding on to Sarith and Sarith is holding on to the web. So it would be your str vs monster's str vs Sarith's. Lowest roll breaks their grip first...so you might break Sarith off the web. Also if you don't let go of the web your check will be at disadvantage. You could try to communicate to Jimjar to help you (or help Ezraen).

SunGold

First Post
Hmm...what if I used rage to negate my disadv, and got Jimjar to help Sarith hold on? Would that roll then be:

My str (normal) vs.
Creature's (normal) vs.
Sarith's (adv w/Jimjar's help)

This encounter needs the Benny Hill theme song playing in the background.

DMAesh

Explorer
I do not think that being blinded would impose disadvantage to hang on to the webbing. I think that is extremely harsh, considering that a DC 15 is already difficult especially considering that we are 2nd level, and would be insta-death for any non-dexterity-based character. (I mean look at it this way, it is already 55% chance that Surana and I fail any time we get hit and that is without disadvantage.)

If you were trying to move along the webbing while you take damage, I could see imposing the disadvantage for being blind, but I imagine that Klep and Sarith are merely trying to hang on for dear life at this moment.

I agree with the possibly hitting on a natural 1. I was going to argue that taking special care to strike higher than head level should count for something, but I imagine that a natural 1 would include slipping which would bring my strike significantly lower.

Anyway, my two cents.

SunGold

First Post
Sarith looks done where Jimjar fell for a long time. He closes his eyes.

Did Sarith...did Sarith just have a feeling?

Here I've spent this whole game wanting to kill him*...if we come to find out he's not the typical dangerous sadist drow (or if he grows out of that), I'm gonna feel a little bad about that. :p

*Admittedly, once he had that thing strangling him, I felt bad for the guy and cared about saving him.

DMAesh

Explorer
Hmmm, maybe? Wanna make an Insight check? Ez isn't even thinking about that. He is too focused on beating himself up about losing people that are relying on him. ;)

Remove ads