[OOC] WD's Against the Orcs

Insight

Adventurer
Updated!

Post your actions, please. I don't think R" will kill any of you, so just post all of you :D

@Insight: Sorry for spoiling your tactics. But you cannot shift on difficult terrain. Next time, I will give you a warning. But this fight is almost over.

Ah, OK. I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to the terrain. Sorry about that.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Man, the "wooden pallisades" the Baron told us about are just 6 foot tall wooden fences? That's unfortunate :-S I doubt we'll have the time to fix the defenses up before the orcs arrive either.

WD, just wondering if any of us have an idea of how many orcs we'll be facing here?

Padreigh

First Post
Why do employers always exaggerate when they are talking about how places are defended, how many men they have at their disposition etc. :mad:

I am pretty sure that we'll also have to hold out more than just three days. :(

Let's just hope that we have a day or so to bolster the defences...

Niehaus

First Post
I like where your going with this. I've always had a soft spot for story lines where the odds are stacked against you.

You know it just occurred to me that the town may have already been taken over. With their defenses this meager and the amount of time it took us to get here I probably should not have been to quick to knock. It'd be my luck there are orcs guarding the other side of the gate.

Oh William what sort of trouble have you gotten me into now.

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Assuming Roxbury hasn't been taken over, I have a few simple ideas that can be quickly implemented to bolster the defenses.

1. Reinforce the walls with mud. We already know the fields are bogs, so we have a ready source of mud. If we pack mud against the inside of the walls, it would seriously improve the walls' strength.

2. Sharpen the tops of the wall and/or add sharp stakes to the top of the wall. Obviously, the orcs could still climb over the wall, so we need to impede their progress.

3. Have the villagers craft watch towers or platforms atop their homes. These should be simple to build, assuming we have a ready source of lumber. In addition to this, if we can arm some of the villagers with bows or spears, this would be a plus.

4. Ready fire pits inside the walls. Essentially, dig ditches inside the wall and load the ditches with flammable materials (dry wood, oily rags, etc). We only light them up if the orcs are actually coming. What we can do with the fire pits? Well, we can give our archers flaming arrows or, in a worst case scenario, light the walls on fire to keep the orcs at bay.

Padreigh

First Post
The wet mud should also help against flaming arrows.

Caltrops are quickly produced, provided the smithy has the materials needed.

I also have no scruples about taking each and every knife, fork, hat pin and so in the villlage. Those we could break off and attach to the fence, with the business end pointing outside. Should slow climbers down ...

Huge amounts of boiling water are also nice if you find a spot where you can drop it on the orcs.

Remove ads