• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Races and Classes--I has it!

Lord Tirian said:
And I've found a really interesting bit in the wizard's feat section: There's seemingly a set of feats for each class that allow other classes to pick up stuff from a class. In the text is the example that a martial wizard can be a wizard picking up "Fighter Training" feats. And a rogue with some magic skills could be one taking "Warlock Training" or "Wizard Training" feats - these feats allow people to pick up some extras, without leaving their "original class's power and role".

This sounds like what we've heard about 4e multiclassing. Does the book say this is replacing multiclassing, or are the class training feats in addition to a seperate multiclassing system?

breschau

First Post
Scholar & Brutalman said:
This sounds like what we've heard about 4e multiclassing. Does the book say this is replacing multiclassing, or are the class training feats in addition to a seperate multiclassing system?

I don't have to book, but I'd imagine they'd do both. Some people want to dabble a bit (a few Wizards Training feats for the Thief) and other want to fully mix several classes.

These are great peeks.

Anyone want to give more details about the skills?

Thanks.

Vayden

First Post
Awesome stuff, guys. Can I ask where you found the copies? I've been circling through my local FLGSs and Borders since Tuesday, and I haven't sniffed a peek yet.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Rechan said:
Okay, cool. Thanks. :)

Does it say that you can get feats every other level, every level, what?
I don't think so, at least, I haven't read anything like that yet.
Scholar & Brutalman said:
Nothing about multiclassing. But they've said that no feats will require a class as prerequisite. Remember that Trapfinding is now a feat (i.e. a previous class ability). And don't forget that all classes will have an unified BAB/saves progression

[pure speculation]
Okay, that's pure speculation now, but I get the vibe that it's their new approach to multiclassing, especially if you keep in mind, that all classes have an unified progression - what do you get by multiclassing, if not BAB/Saves. The individual powers/class abilities and access to certain feats, right?

If all feats are class-independent (remember the Golden Wyvern adept? It just talked about wizard powers - but didn't require you to be a wizard), and you can get class-specific stuff through the Class Training feats, why multiclass?

And considering the other evidence, it makes sense: Want to play a fighter/mage? Choose a fighter, start to pick up spells through feats, and get spell-modifying stuff through other feats (i.e. Golden Wyvern Adept).

Want to be a Warlock with roguish trap monkey bent? Pick up the Trapfinding feat, and perhaps stuff like Skill Focus.
[/pure speculation]

Vayden said:
Awesome stuff, guys. Can I ask where you found the copies? I've been circling through my local FLGSs and Borders since Tuesday, and I haven't sniffed a peek yet.
Picked it up at one of my two-and-half (the third one is really more a comic & everything geeky shop) local FLGS in Manchester, UK. Was the last book, though I don't know whether there were ones before or not. But I have visited it today for the first time for a week).

Cheers, LT.

Vayden

First Post
Curses. Probably going to have to wait until Tuesday then (traditional new book/music retail release date in the US). Thanks for all the good info though.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
breschau said:
Anyone want to give more details about the skills?

Thanks.
Besides the stuff already said:
Folded Spot/Listen together, folded Hide/Move Silently together, folded Knowledge (arcana)/spellcraft/read magic together (now just called "Arcana"). Profession probably gone, and new skill list is about half as long as the old one.

Most classes have at least some skills that are crucial to their function, but rogues, followed by rangers, are really the guys who get the most out of skills.
Vayden said:
Curses. Probably going to have to wait until Tuesday then (traditional new book/music retail release date in the US). Thanks for all the good info though.
I have no clue where Reaper Steve (who started the thread) lives, so it's probably not only in the UK.

Well, it's 5:21 am for me right now, and I guess I need some sleep! :p

Cheers, LT.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Khuxan said:
Would you mind if LT scanned/photographed the image on page 25 of Races and Classes and posted it on the forum? That would probably be a better illustration than a miniature.

Puts down beer, takes off beanie, t-shirt, jeans. Puts on suit, tie, cap-toe shoes and thinks... no sorry go buy the book.

Dragon may have something in an article next week. I can't sanction our own guys getting scooped.

Mercule

Adventurer
Thanks, Scott. You rock.

I'm still not really warming up to the dragonborn. I culled halflings from 2E and 3E, though. I can cull halflings and dragonborn from 4E.

Edit: Hmm... That sounded wrong. I'll give 'em a chance and I hope they do grow on me. Just sayin' that it ain't exactly a catastrophe if they don't.

Last edited:

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Scott_Rouse said:
Puts down beer, takes off beanie, t-shirt, jeans. Puts on suit, tie, cap-toe shoes and thinks... no sorry go buy the book.

Dragon may have something in an article next week. I can't sanction our own guys getting scooped.
Sure thing! By the way, if I'm talking too much about it, tell me - I certainly don't want to cause too much trouble, mkay?

And, at least for me, the artwork really made the book - I'll even look at it as "artwork book", when 4E is out, together with all these Designer tidbits, because, as said above, I like Mearls' writing style (though the other designers ain't bad at all!).

"Sleep is currently overrated", LT.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Lord Tirian said:
Sure thing! By the way, if I'm talking too much about it, tell me - I certainly don't want to cause too much trouble, mkay?

"Sleep is currently overrated", LT.

I love it. Thanks for promoting the book and thanks for the recaps while showing restraint in not doing the copy(scan) & paste spoiler.

Remove ads