Supernatural

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
for the record I liked Buffy too, I also like the Powerpuff Girls for the same reasons:)

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Tonguez said:
Supernatural is nothing like Buffy. Buffy was a live action girl power shlock cartoon whereas Supernatural is kewl horror/drama with very little overt testosterone
It has a muscle car, classic rock, chasing (and catching) hot girls, guns, explosions, punching, and practical jokes.

What the heck qualifies as testosterone-driven entertainment if that's not it?

frankthedm

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Remove the estrogen from Buffy, replace with testosterone and you have Supernatural.
Drop the superhero[ine] too.

Much closer to the BRP or d20 Call Of Cthulhu game from what i have seen. The brothers have to learn all they can to find out how to stop their foes. Granted I have not this season due to my work schedual, so if the little brother "Went Buffy", I have not seen that.

Blastin

First Post
frankthedm said:
Drop the superhero[ine] too.

Much closer to the BRP or d20 Call Of Cthulhu game from what i have seen. The brothers have to learn all they can to find out how to stop their foes. Granted I have not this season due to my work schedual, so if the little brother "Went Buffy", I have not seen that.

Nope, Sammie hasn't done anything "supernatural" this season....at least under his own power....

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The Buffy RPG has two tiers of characters: The Angel/Buffy/Spike level characters and everyone else. Sam and Dean are definitely in the "everyone else" category and there's a sample character that's almost identical to them in the big Buffy core book.

It's NOT CoC. The characters have killed dozens of supernatural threats since the series has begun and it's clearly stated that they have killed at least that many in the back story. Even when taking on werewolves and other tough threats, they're secure enough in their abilities and expertise to joke about the threats and have a real competence in what they're doing.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
It has a muscle car, classic rock, chasing (and catching) hot girls, guns, explosions, punching, and practical jokes.

What the heck qualifies as testosterone-driven entertainment if that's not it?

Sam and Dean aren't Macho men and it hasn't had car chases and cars flipping over and blowing up ergo it is not testosterone enuff:)

trancejeremy

Adventurer
It's NOT CoC. The characters have killed dozens of supernatural threats since the series has begun and it's clearly stated that they have killed at least that many in the back story. Even when taking on werewolves and other tough threats, they're secure enough in their abilities and expertise to joke about the threats and have a real competence in what they're doing.

Eh - Dean has basically been killed twice during the first season.

The closest RPG to it would probably be Dark Conspiracy, where the PCs play "Minion Hunters", essentially exactly like Sam and Dean, only the setting is the near future, and PCs have about 5-6 times the hit points of normal people, but are otherwise basically the same.

D.Shaffer

First Post
Tonguez said:
Sam and Dean aren't Macho men and it hasn't had car chases and cars flipping over and blowing up ergo it is not testosterone enuff:)
...They got smacked with a bigrig. That doesnt count? ;)

Sir Brennen

Legend
Tonguez said:
Sam and Dean aren't Macho men and it hasn't had car chases and cars flipping over and blowing up ergo it is not testosterone enuff :)
Eh. That's not lack of testosterone, it's lack of budget. The Manly-Manness has to be conveyed less expensively through - shudder - character interaction... ;)

Karl Green

First Post
D.Shaffer said:
That was a thoroughly depressing ending, wasnt it?

It looks like next week they're going to try cheering us up a bit.

It was and I thought a bit weird... NOT that I wanted a happy ending all the time, but the whole "We looked at all the legends"... what, you spend a WHOLE day looking? You talked to one other hunter? Hmm really went the extra mile for a gal you just sleep with :uhoh:

And why is not "locking you up" for a few nights a month not going to work? Unless it starts affecting the person themselves and then they can't be trusted even in human form ok...

Last... how many nights was there a full moon ;)

NOW overall I really liked this esp and this show. Not complaining just wondering more

Remove ads