• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Darkness That Comes Before [Closing Down]

Thanee

First Post
Erekose13 said:
I really love the psionics 3.0 rules, with careful trimming (no psychofeedback and no feeder weapons for instance) they are quite balanced.

Sure, but they need quite a bit of careful trimming (another nice "balanced" item... torque of psionic might (we priced it at 80-100k instead of 10!?) :D). And they are kinda bland, I had hoped for something with a more unique feel mostly.

But, I was actually going to ask something completely different...

I was thinking about getting some ranks in handle animal and might want to aquire a sort-of animal companion (maybe a dire wolf, which might even act as a mount).

Is that possible?
Should I "buy" the animal with the starting money?
What would be an appropriate price?

Bye
Thanee

Ghostknight

First Post
Quirhid said:
Yeah, I know that, but do you realize how cool it is? :cool: And I don't think I need concentration checks while my mount isn't moving. Atleast it's handy for escaping when all spells are used.

Well, I ain't the DM fror this one, so you would need to see what Erekose has to say - but in my games sitting on the back of a horse, in the middle of cambot is not a really good place to be casting from. As long as fighting is far way - fine, but with melee occuring it is much akin to trying cast spells while the floor is moving around and jostling you.

As for tunning away - oh yeah, very handy at that point :)

Ferrix

Explorer
My character happens to be focused on mounted combat so I was wondering about a mount as well.

I took a riding dog and put the warbeast template on it and gave it the exceptional ability spread (which is the equivalent of +4, +4, +2, +2, +0, -2), to make it more unique, was CR 2 with the warbeast template, upped it to 3 cause of the better abilities. Ended up with:

Grizzle
Riding Dog, Warbeast; CR 3; Medium Animal; HD 3d8+18 (35); Init 3; Speed 50 feet; AC 20 (+3 Dex, +3 armor, +4 natural), flatfooted 13, touch 14; Bab +2, Grapple +8; Atk +8 melee (1d6+9, critical x2, bite); SA: Trip (as wolf); SQ: Low-light vision, scent, Combative Mount; SV Fort +9, Refl +6, Will +4; Str 22, Dex 17, Con 22, Int 2, Wis 16, Cha 4. Skills and Feats: Jump +12 (2 ranks), Listen +8 (3 ranks), Spot +8 (3 ranks), Swim +8 (2 ranks); Alertness, Endurance, Diehard. Studded leather barding. Loads 260/519/780 lbs. Tricks: attack, come, defend, down, guard, heel.

I don't know how well he'll survive, any suggestions? I also figured he'd be about 500 gp, even though the Warbeast template says 50gp/HD for 3 HD and under. I might want to make him a bit tougher, more HP/HD if that'd be possible cause I don't know how long he'd last. Plus, I like that he's medium sized :)

Quirhid

First Post
Ghostknight said:
Well, I ain't the DM fror this one, so you would need to see what Erekose has to say - but in my games sitting on the back of a horse, in the middle of cambot is not a really good place to be casting from. As long as fighting is far way - fine, but with melee occuring it is much akin to trying cast spells while the floor is moving around and jostling you.

As for tunning away - oh yeah, very handy at that point :)

How about it Erekose? Do I have to make concentration checks while mounted when the moun isn't moving? Ofcourse far away from melee!

Thanee

First Post
Ferrix said:
Thanee, want to mesh our two character histories since we both are at least partly combat types with mounts. :)

Dara won't be a mounted combat type. Except for having a mount and being able to ride it, that is. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Ferrix

Explorer
Donner Hund, Strongheart Halfling Fighter 5; CR 5; Small Humanoid; HD 5d10+10 (42 hp); Init +1; Speed 15 feet; AC 24 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +8 Armor, +4 Shield), flatfooted 23, touch 12, ACP -12, Spell Failure 75%; Bab +5, Grapple +4; Atk +11 melee (1d6+6, critical x3, lance) or +9 melee (1d3+3, critical 18-20/x2, kukri) or +10 melee (1d6+3, critical 19-20/x2, longsword) or +9 melee (1d6+3, critical x2, flail) or +7 ranged (1d8, critical 19-20/x2, heavy crossbow); Full Atk: ; SA: Ride by Attack; SQ:; SV Fort +6, Refl +2, Will +0; Str 17 Dex 13 Con 14 Int 13 Wis 8 Cha 10.

Skills and Feats: (24 skill points, 8/4 max ranks) Handle Animal +8 (8 ranks), Ride +13 (8 ranks), Intimidate +8 (8 ranks); Mounted Combat, Ride by Attack, Spirited Charge, Weapon Focus: Lance, Endurance, Weapon Specialization: Lance.

Small: As a Small creature, a halfling gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.

Racial Abilities: +2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, and Move Silently checks; +2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear; +1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings; +2 racial bonus on Listen checks.

Possessions: Backpack, Bedroll, Flint and Steel, Manacles x3, Small steel mirror, Flasks Oil x3, Belt pouch, Trail rations x8 days, Signal whistle, Soap , Tent, Waterskins x2, Everburning Torch, Antitoxin x3, Acid x2, Alchemist's Fire x2, Military Saddle, Saddlebags, Bit and bridle, Explorer's Outfit, Masterwork Heavy Crossbow, Bolts (50 standard, 10 silvered, 10 adamantine, 10 cold iron), Masterwork Longsword, Silvered Kukri, Cold Iron Flail, Gauntlet Spiked x2, Masterwork Full Plate, Mithril Tower Shield, Grizzle - Riding Dog, Warbeast, 4 Large (Riding) Dogs, Studded Leather Barding, Lance +1, Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds x3, Potion of Cure Light Wounds x6, Oil of Magic Weapon

Money: 184 gp, 3 sp, 0 cp

Description: Quite unlike most halflings you'll meet, Donner is a grizzled figher who prefers the thunder of a charge to nearly anything except maybe a stiff drink. Donner stands over three feet, his surprisingly broad frame often encased in a heavy suit of plate. Always with stubble on his face, he looks usually slightly unkempt despite his sharp features. He has scar running it's way down his right arm where his lance splintered once tearing into his flesh. His gray eyes often possess a hardness to them that when combined with the grim smile that often rests on his face will usually deter most men from bothering him. With silver hairs starting to edge their way onto his temples, he seems one of a seasoned sort.

Usually wearing a suit of full plate, he carries an almost knightly assortment of armaments; heavy crossbow, lance, longsword, flail and shield. When he's not in armor, he wears an extensively worn and patched explorers outfit. In or out of armor, he always carries a silver kukri on his belt and wears a thick forest green cape. Nothing he wears possesses any sort of ornamentation that doesn?t possess some use.

History: Donner has seen a good thirty-five years of life and nearly half of that spent on the road, forging a reputation as a hardened warrior. Raised by the Captain of the town guard, he has never known any direct family, only the harsh order of martial life. Often relegated to grunt work in his youth due to his size compared to the surrounding humans he lived with; he eventually got the nerve to walk onto the training yard. Once the trainer realized he was there, he attempted to scoot the young halfling off of the yard but Donner stood his ground and demanded he be allowed to train as well. With a sarcastic huff the trainer snatched up a padded wooden spear and tossed it to the young halfling, and told him to defend himself and beckoned one of the better students to teach him a lesson. Within a few moments Donner had knocked the man off of his feet and stood on his chest, the practice spear comically towering over the young halfling.

So with reluctance from the Captain, Donner was allowed to train with the other guards, although he was not allowed on duty. Donner, content with the training, worked himself to the bone. Mimicking the soldiers on horseback by riding upon the massive hounds which resided in the barracks, he soon earned the embittered respect of the guards by the time he rode out of the barracks into the world.

Since he left the barracks, he's traveled mostly alone, although occasionally joining up with some motley crew of would be heroes, he's found that most of the time he's the only one left by the time they would have returned from an adventure. A bit hardened by the road, and still preferring the company of his many dogs to humans, he's usually gruff but a steadfast companion to those that last long enough.

Grizzle
Riding Dog, Warbeast; CR 2; Medium Animal; HD 3d8+12 (29); Init +2; Speed 50 feet; AC 19 (+2 Dex, +3 armor, +4 natural), flatfooted 12, touch 14; Bab +2, Grapple +6; Atk +6 melee (1d6+6, critical x2, bite); SA: Trip (as wolf); SQ: Low-light vision, scent, Combative Mount; SV Fort +7, Refl +5, Will +3; Str 18, Dex 15, Con 18, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 4. Skills and Feats: jump +10 (2 ranks), Listen +7 (3 ranks), Spot +7 (3 ranks), Swim +6 (2 ranks); Alertness, Endurance, Diehard. Studded leather barding. Loads 150/300/450 lbs. Tricks: attack, come, defend, down, guard, heel.

Aegis and Tor
Large Guard Dogs (2); CR 1 each; Medium Animal; HD 2d8+7 (17 hp); Init +2; Speed 40 feet; AC 16 (+2 Dex, +4 natural), flatfooted 14, touch 12; Bab +1, Grapple +3; Atk +3 melee (1d6+3, critical x2, bite); SA: Trip (as wolf); SQ: Low-light vision, scent; SV Fort +5, Refl +4, Will +1; Str 15, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6. Skills and Feats: Jump +8, Listen +5, Spot +5, Swim +3, Survival +1; Alertness, Toughness. Tricks: attack, come, defend, down, guard, heel.

Arbor and Shadow
Large Hunting Dogs (2); CR 1 each; Medium Animal; HD 2d8+4 (14 hp); Init +2; Speed 40 feet; AC 16 (+2 Dex, +4 natural), flatfooted 14, touch 12; Bab +1, Grapple +3; Atk +3 melee (1d6+3, critical x2, bite); SA: Trip (as wolf); SQ: Low-light vision, scent; SV Fort +5, Refl +4, Will +1; Str 15, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6. Skills and Feats: Jump +8, Listen +5, Spot +5, Swim +3, Survival +1 (+5 for tracking); Alertness, Track. Tricks: attack, come, down, heel, seek, and track.

Last edited:

Serpenteye

First Post
Ian Chamberlain, Human Telepath 5; CR 5; Medium Humanoid; HD 5d4 (24hp); Init 0; Speed 30 feet; AC 16 (+0Dex, +4Armor, +2Shield) flatfooted 16, touch 10, ACP 0; Bab +2, Grapple +1; Atk +1 melee (1d4-1, critical x2, Dagger); SV Fort +3, Refl +1, Will +5; Str 8, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 18 (20 for psi).

Skills and Feats: (56 skill points, 8 max ranks) Bluff (Cha) +14 (+2 Psi-crystal) (8 ranks), Concentration (Con) +10 (8 ranks), Diplomacy (Cha) +16 (+4 syn) (8 ranks), Knowledge (psionics) (Int) +10 (8 ranks), Psicraft (Int) +10 (8 ranks), Sense Motive (Wis) +9 (8 ranks). Speak Language: 4 languages (8 ranks); Feats: 5 (2 (Normal) +1 (Human) +2 (Psion)), Psionic Prodigy, Talented, Inner Strength, Body Fuel, Trigger Power (Lesser Body Adjustment)
Languages: Low Sheyic (common), Dunyanic, Celestial, Abyssal, Infernal, Tydonii, Gallish.

Free Manifestation of 0-level powers: 11.

Power Points: 18 (12 (level) + 5 (bonus) +1 (inner strength)), Base Save DC: d20 + 6 (tele, psymet+psyport), + power level.
Known Powers:
0:5+d, Burst (Dex), Detect Poison (Wis), Detect Psionics (Wis), Far Hand (Con), Float (Dex), Telempathic Projection (Cha).
1:3+d, Biocurrent (Con), Charm Person (Cha), Lesser Body Adjustment (Str), Id Insinuation (Cha).
2:1+d, Suggestion (Cha), Ectoplasmic Cocoon (Int).

Primary discipline: Telepathy (Cha)
Secondary disciplines: Psychometabolism (Str), Psychoportation (Dex).

Psionic Mode Check +4 (Mindscapes psionic combat system)

Psi Crystal: (Emerald) Liar, Int: 8, AC 13, Hardness 8, 20 HP, Move, Sighted, Empathic link, Telepathic link, Self-propulsion, cost: 400gp

Possessions: Mithral Chain Shirt (1100 gp) (12,5 lbs) Mithral Heavy Shield (1020 gp) (7,5 lbs), Minor items and clothes (100gp), Dagger (2gp), Ring of Sustenance (2500gp), Psionatrix of Telepathy (2000gp), Hat of Disguise (1800gp), 78gp 0sp 0cp.

Description: A short lithe man in his early 20s, dressed in simple and unadorned clothing, usually shades of black and green. Black hair, green eyes. Considered attractive by most.
He's usually quiet and introverted, dwelling on his own strange powers almost to the point of obsession, but when he speaks his authority is unmistakable.

History:
*Born in the Empire, son of artisans.
*Chance encounter with one of the northern Psions, discovered his talent.
*Travelled for a time with his new master and learned the art.

Last edited:

Remove ads