What Level Adventure Module Do You Most Need?

What level adventure module would you find most useful?

• Lvls 1-3

Votes: 48 31.2%
  • Lvls 4-7

Votes: 53 34.4%
  • Lvls 8-10

Votes: 35 22.7%
  • Lvls 11-13

Votes: 29 18.8%
  • Lvls 14-16

Votes: 39 25.3%
  • Lvls 17-20

Votes: 41 26.6%
  • Low Epic Levels (21-25)

Votes: 32 20.8%
  • High Epic Levels (26+)

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • PCs are Gods

Votes: 7 4.5%

Finster

First Post
I voted for the low-end adventures. I did so because running the same adventure for a new group is tedious for me as the DM. I tend to have a lot of TPKs at low level. This might lead to player frustration for some groups, but the teams I play with most often, seem to like it that way (they tell me it makes for more memorable stories). I would also like to echo Menexenus in that the monster/challenge options for the lower levels seems limited, resulting in the same goblins, kobolds and skeletons showing up in the "dungeon".
Additionally if you are starting a new story line from the ground up (particularly with newbies) at first level, it's nice to have a well balanced and playtested adventure to walk the players through.

Ryltar

First Post
Low to Mid level. There are many adventures out there that cover 4th to 8th level, but not too many good ones ... From what I've seen of your writing, you could most assuredly fill that empty space.

Kalendraf

Explorer
I buy quite a few published adventures. I know I have quite a few for 1st thru about 8th/9th level, but after that, the number drops off significantly. FYI, both campaigns I DM have 9th level characters. My preference would be for levels 9 to 11, then 11 to 13.

I prefer adventures made for generic settings, that can easily be dropped into any environment. Do not make any assumptions regarding the history or political climate that will be difficult to explain. Also, I'd hope that the author pays close attention to the treasure vs. exp in order to keep things balanced. I've seen several adventures where the treasure rewarded gets out of hand in a hurry, which can easily happen if most of the foes are NPC's with lots of magical equipment.

Arnwyn

First Post
Raven Crowking said:
I would also be interested to know whether you'd prefer a print product or a pdf file.
I, for one, am only interested in print products - especially for adventures, in which I must flip through before I consider buying (things like map quality are extremely important to me).
A secondary thought: What if the module was actually a modular setting, which assumed that characters revisit the site at low or higher levels, and provided things for different character levels to do? I am thinking here of an area with one to three settlements, a few lower level small adventures, and one big higher level adventure.
All sounds fine to me.

Kalendraf

Explorer
Raven Crowking said:
From what I am hearing, I'm begining to think of developing a non-European island setting. You could drop it in your campaign wherever you liked, either as a starting point or as a later visiting place.

Both my campaigns are deeply land-bound, and probably won't be venturing near any coasts or islands in the foreseeable future. So making an island setting would probably lead me to pass on whatever you create.

Raven Crowking said:
The question is, should I go big (multiple adventures, multiple storylines, covering several levels of PCs) or small (tightly focused storyline, one main adventure). Would people want a setting that they reuse/revisit throughout a campaign, or not?

I'd recommend starting out small. If people like it, you can always revisit adventures and branch off with future ones. Jues leave a few loose ends at the end of each adventure to do this if you want. DM's can ignore the loose ends, use them for their own purpose, or use them to bridge between the adventures.

LeapingShark

First Post
There are very few 1st-3rd level modules out there that are unique and interesting. For example, as was stated before, most of these adventures end up having the same group of monsters, over and over. At mid to higher levels, there are so many parts and tools available by that point (feats, spells, items, monsters, environments, etc) for mixing and matching, that it's easier to create something. But it takes a very clever author to make a great introductory adventure.

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
Like arwyn, print products for me. I want to see it first which PDF's don't offer. I do like the idea of a modular setting where parties can visit and can come and go as they continue to adventure. This was the one thing that I absolutely loved about the old Judges Guild's City State of the Invincible Overlord . There was so much you could do in and around the City that it provided hours upon hours of enjoyment (believe me, it was much more than just a city; Map 1 was huge scale wise). And it was detailed enough to give flavoring, but free enough that the DM could modify and create as he/she saw fit.

Map quality, map quality, map quality. I'd rather have really good maps with less writing content than tons of writing content with few maps or low resolution maps. I have chosen not to pick up certain modules out there because of the failure of decent mapping. Some DMs don't need that much mapping; I am one that does.

Make it generic enough that it can fit into (almost) any setting.

Remove ads