YB3 Rules

Under Construction

General Rule Changes:
-You may only use up to 1 Active Power and 1 Swift Power per round, there is no limit to the number of times you may benefit from a Passive Power (although it's effects never stack). Artifacts and activatable items always count as Swift Powers.
-At the end of every PbP combat, both fighters automatically gain 1 yen.
-All Fighters have a number of SP (Stamina Points) equal to 1 + their Tier level.
The first point of damage per round always gains the winner of the round flags. Points after that deal damage to the loser's SP, or, if the loser has no remaining SP (or the attack deals enough to lower his SP to 0 and then some), the remaining damage gives the victor the equivilant number of flags in addition to the base 1 flag earned.

Unaligned
Tier 0: Novice

Mystic
Tier 1: Signature Style, Rhetoric, Spirit Throw, Transcendence
Tier 2: Signature Location, Knowledge, Sacrifice
Tier 3: Signature Style, Chi Strike, Conserve Energy
Tier 4: Signature Location, Mastery, Spiritual Strength

Warrior
Tier 1: Signature Location, Personal/Dojo Style, Signature Style, Quick Study
Tier 2: Signature Style, Personal/Dojo Style, Fist of Fury
Tier 3: Signature Location, Personal/Dojo Style, Great Style, Master of Emotions
Tier 4: Signature Style, Personal/Dojo Style, Lightning Strike

Aristocrat
Tier 1: Signature Style or Location, Crowd Pleaser, Inheritance, Profiteer
Tier 2: Signature Style or Location, Donation, Hard Hitter
Tier 3: Signature Style or Location, Greater Inheritance, Master of Wealth
Tier 4: Signature Style or Location, Connections, Crowd Pleaser

Clansman
Tier 1: Signature Style, Personal/Clan Location, Signature Location, Terrain Adaptation
Tier 2: Signature Location, Personal/Clan Location, Block, Nimble Fingers
Tier 3: Signature Style, Personal/Clan Location, Defensive Mastery, Master of Movement
Tier 4: Signature Location, Personal/Clan Location, Toughness

Acolyte
Tier 1: Signature Location, Apotheosis, Chi Shielding, Negotiate
Tier 2: Signature Style, Distraction, Strategist
Tier 3: Signature Location, Foul Play, Trick
Tier 4: Signature Style, Chi Switch, Spiritual Strength

General Path Powers: (Powers on 2 Lists or more)

Signature Style: (Passive Power)
When you use a move featuring your signature style your attack does an additional +1 damage if you win the round. When you gain a signature style it is the style of the move you won the match with. If you already have this style your previous winning style is used back throughout the battle, if you possess all moves used a random style is generated.
Signature Location: (Passive Power) When your opponent uses a move featuring your signature location the attack does -1 damage to you if you lose the round. In addition when you use a move that features your signature location you gain 1 SP. When you gain a signature location it is the location of the move that your opponent lost the match with. If you already have this location the opponents previous losing location is used back throughout battle, if you possess all moves used a random location is generated.
Personal/Dojo Style: (Passive Power)
When you gain a Personal/Dojo style you may if not in a dojo pick a single style that then becomes a Personal Style and is in all ways identical to a signature style except that you may choose it. If you are the Dojo master you may choose any one of your students styles choosing which to use before a battle. If you are a student in a Dojo you may choose any of the Dojo masters signature styles or personal styles choosing which to use before a battle. If you are a dojo master and have no students this becomes a Personal Style. Likewise if you are a Dojo Master but all your students leave this becomes a Personal Style. Or, if you are a Student and your Master changes paths or ceases to outrank you this allows you to pick from your Students Styles, if you have no students it instead becomes a Personal Style. If you are both a Master and a student you gain the slot as a Master. Other than as outlined above this slot cannot change its nature.
Personal/Clan Location: (Passive Power)
When you gain a Personal/Clan location and you are not in a clan pick a single location that then becomes a Personal Location and is in all ways identical to a signature location except that you may choose it. If you are in a Clan you may choose any of the Clan Leader's signature locations or personal locations choosing which to use before a battle. If you are the Clan Leader you may choose any one of your clansmen's locations choosing which to use before a battle. If you are a Clan Leader and have no clansmen this becomes a Personal Location. Likewise if you are a Clan Leader but all your clansmen leave this becomes a Personal Location. Or, if you are a Clansman and your Leader changes paths or ceases to outrank you this allows you to pick from your Clansmen's Location, if you have no students it instead becomes a Personal Location. If you are both a Leader and a student you gain the slot as a Leader. Other than as outlined above this slot cannot change its nature.
Modifier Powers: (Passive Power)
The 50 modifiers in the generator are broken into 5 lists. A fighter who successfully uses a move with a modifier belonging to one of the lists he knows deals an additional point of damage. Furthermore, whenever your opponent uses a move featuring one of your modifiers the attack does -1 damage to you if you lose the round.
The modifier lists are as follows:
Master of Emotions: avenging, calm, cautious, confident, courageous, ferocious, joyful, relentless, sad, wrathful.
Master of Movement: balancing, crouching, falling, flying, leaping, rolling, running, speeding, tumbling, twisting.
Master of Shadows: evasive, hidden, invisible, secret, sly, sneaky, stealthy, tricky, unseen, shadowy
Master of Wealth: diamond, emerald, gold, jade, onyx, opal, pearl, ruby, silver, topaz
Supreme Master: faultless, flawless, invincible, irresistible, mighty, perfect, pure, superior, supreme, transcendent.
Spiritual Strength: (Passive)
A fighter with this ability has his SP increased permanently by 1.

Mystic Powers:

Rhetoric: (Special)
When insults are generated you may generate two insults instead of one. The judge uses the one he thinks is the better of the two for comparisons between you and your opponent.
Spirit Throw: (Active Power)
You may spend 1 SP to declare any generated move to be used in conjunction with Spirit Throw. If the move is successful you deal 1 extra point of damage. If the move is unsuccessful you regain 1 SP at the beginning of the next round.
Transcendence: (Passive Power)
At the beginning of your turn, if your opponent has 0 SP remaining you gain all of their path-granted Signature Styles. This power may be used on Personal/Dojo Styles as well and lasts until the end of combat.
Knowledge: (Swift Power)
You may spend 1 SP during your turn to generate an additional move (This is done after you choose which move you want to use in a Strategy match). You then choose which move you want to use, discarding the other one.
Sacrifice: (Active Power)
You may spend 2 yen (+1 additional yen for each prior time it has been used in the match) to declare any generated move to be used with Sacrifice. If the move is successful you deal 2 extra points of damage.
Chi Strike: (Active & Swift Power)
On any round where you go first, you may spend 1 SP to use Chi Strike. For the duration of the round, no other active or swift powers may be used.
Conserve Energy: (Active & Swift Power)
Once per match, you may use Conserve Energy to regain an amount of SP equal to how many of them you spent the previous round on active/swift powers.
Mastery: (Swift Power)
You may spend 2 SP to change the style of your move to any signature style that you possess.

Warrior Powers:

Quick Study: (Passive Power)
Once per match after your opponent has used one of his Signature Styles on you, (regardless if he is successful or not) you gain that style as a Signature Style for the remainder of the match. This power may be used on Personal/Dojo Styles as well.
Fist of Fury: (Active Power)
Once per match you may generate a second move and post both it and your original. Only the original move is used for judgment, although if you win the round, your second move does additional damage as if you had won with it as well. Both moves are tallied separately for damage dealt to your opponent, so if you won the round and had no other modifiers to damage, you would win 2 flags (as opposed to winning 1 flag and dealing 1 point of SP damage). Note that you lose a round to the Defensive Mastery special ability if your original move is reduced to 0 damage.
Great Style: (Passive Power)
Upon attaining this ability you pick a single Personal/Dojo or Signature Style that you possess to be used in conjunction with Great Style. From now on, with that style you deal an additional point of damage if you win a round with it.
Lightning Strike: (Active & Swift Power)
Once per match, on any round where you go first you use Lightning Strike. You automatically win the round and deal 1 point of damage to your opponent (this damage cannot be increased or reduced by any method).

Aristocrat Powers:

Crowd Pleaser: (Active Power)
Once per match you may declare a generated move to be used in conjunction with Crowd Pleaser. If the move is successful you gain 2 yen, if it is unsuccessful you gain 1 yen.
Inheritance: (Special)
At Tier 1 an Aristocrat gains an artifact that he may use in addition to any personal artifact he may possess. At Tier 3 the artifact increases in power as if he had a 'great drawback' on the artifact.
Profiteer: (Passive Power)
Whenever you would gain yen from a *yen* or a *yen+yen* move, you gain an extra yen on top of the one(s) earned from the move.
Donation: (Special)
Once per match, after a round is judged, you may sacrifice a number of yen equal to the number of flags an opponent won in the round to reduce the number of flags changed to 0. If this power is used on a round in which Chi Strike was used by the opponent, the cost is increased by 1 yen.
Hard Hitter: (Active Power)
Once per match, you may declare any move that would generate yen for the Aristocrat (a *Yen* or *Yen+Yen* move or a Crowd Pleaser move) to be used in conjunction with Hard Hitter. If the move is successful, it deals an extra point of damage.
Connections: (Active Power)
Once per match, an Aristocrat may buy a non-unique item from the Shop, despite being in a match at the time.

Clansman Powers:
Terrain Adaptation: (Passive Power)
Once per match after potentially having a move reduced in damage by an opponent's Signature Location, you gain that location as a Signature Location for the remainder of the match. This power also works on Personal/Clan Locations as well.
Block: (Active & Swift Power)
Once per match you may declare a generated move to be used in conjunction with Block. You automatically lose the round, although any damage dealt to you by your opponent is reduced by 1 (in addition to any reductions he may suffer from using a move with your Signature Location). 0 damage or negative damage is possible, negative damage is instead inflicted on the opponent, and 0 damage rounds are subject to Defensive Mastery, if you possess it.
Nimble Fingers: (Passive Power)
You automatically gain the yen for the first *Yen* or *Yen+Yen* move used in a match, even if you lose the round.
Defensive Mastery: (Passive Power)
You automatically win a round where your opponents move is reduced to 0 points of damage or less.
Toughness: (Active Power)
Once per match, you may use Toughness to regain an amount of SP equal to how many of them you lost the previous round from damage dealt to you by your opponent.

Acolyte Powers:

Apotheosis: (Passive Power)
At the beginning of your turn, if you have 0 SP remaining you gain all of your opponent's path-granted Signature Locations. This power may be used on Personal/Clan Locations as well and lasts until the end of combat.
Chi Shielding: (Active & Swift Power)
You may declare a generated move to be used in conjunction with Chi Shielding. If you lose the round, you may spend 1 SP to reduce the amount of flags gained by your opponent by 1.
Negotiate: (Special)
Once per match, after insults are judged you may decide to do the insult round over again (with both you and your opponent generating new insults).
Distraction: (Active Power)
On any round where you go last, you may spend 1 SP to use Distraction. Any active or swift powers your opponent has currently attached to his generated move are negated as if he had never used them (Regaining any uses per match or SP spent to fuel them).
Strategist: (Swift Power)
On any round where you go first, before you generate a move you may spend 1 SP to use Strategist. You now will go second instead, although you will be unable to use anymore Swift Powers during the round (due to the limitations of powers/round). Initiative alternates normally from the Strategist round.
Foul Play: (Special)
Once per match, when insults are declared, you can use Foul Play to disable a single Passive Power until the first time the power would be used. You may not Foul Play a Signature Style tied to a Mastery, You may not Foul Play a Style that is Great Style'd, but you may Foul Play the Great Style power. For example you declare Foul Play on a signature style, the first time your opponent draws the signature style it has no additional effect but the Foul Play ends and the opponent may use the signature style normally for the rest of the match (The Foul Play is cancelled regardless whether or not your opponent wins or loses the round).
Trick: (Active & Swift Power)
You may spend 3 SP to use Trick. If you go first during the round, you may generate a move, and then declare a Trick to cancel the current round, moving on to the next round. If you go last during the round, you must declare a Trick before generating a move, in which case it moves on to the next round and cancels any powers your opponent may have used (your opponent loses these powers and any SP he may of used to fuel them).
Chi Switch: (Active Power)
Once per match, on any round where you go last you may spend 3 SP to declare a generated move to be used in conjunction with Chi Switch. Your opponent and you switch generated moves (but not powers attached to moves, for instance, an opponent who uses Fist of Fury retains the second move he generated) for the purposes of judgment and increased/decreased damage due to Signature Styles/Locations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kalanyr

Explorer
Lesseee, comments and criticism from me.

Both Apotheosis and Transcendance should clearly state they work on Dojo/Clan Style/Locations.

Distraction: Needs to be more clear that it does not use a 1/match powers use up.

Foul Play: Thats a really weird power. Is it possible to rework it as a passive or chi power ? Its going to interact weirdly with some stuff I have planned if its not passive, active, chi or yen-based.

Apart from that, it looks good so far.

Rathan

First Post
Looks good to me... everything is pretty clear.. but I do have to agree with Kal on the Foul Play power.. it's awkward and silly.. I thinik it needs to be changed as well.. to what.. I dunno.. I'll try and thin of something..

K, thanks for the suggestions on the powers, I'll change it in my next revision to be something more balanced/clear.

Artifacts...

You have a certain number of points that you have to spend on giving your artifact it's powers, assuming you want to go the standard way. The minimum level to get an artifact is at Tier 3 (requiring an expenditure of yen), unless you happen to be a sash-although you can still get a 2nd artifact at Tier 3. You have 1 point to spend + 1 per Tier + an additional number of points equal to the sacrifice (if any) you make. A minor sacrifice (1 LP, a Tier 1 Passive ability-Sig Locs and Styles are always T1 passives) nets you 1 point, a moderate sacrifice (2 LP, a Tier 1 Active ability, Tier 2 Passive Abiltiy, 2 Tier 1 Passive abilities) nets you 2, a great sacrifice (3 LP, a Tier 3 active/Tier 4 passive, etc...) nets you 4, and a crippling sacrifice (5 LP, Tier. 5 active/Tier 6 Passive) nets you 6. The points add up retroactively, although you can keep some saved to buy more powers. I'll go into more depth about sacrifices later.

What do you do with all these points? Well, you can buy more abilities. I'm not sure exactly how it'l work out, but as a starter, the base cost for any ability on an artifact will be the Tier level of the power. If you want to go with Sig Styles/Locs, it costs 1 point for the first one, then it increases by an accumulative +1 (but only for those of the same type, so an artifact with 2 Sig styles and 1 sig loc would cost 4 points). It costs +1 more point for an active power, and then +1 point if it isn't available to your path normally. You can never have a power that's more available to a tier higher than 1 above you.

That's the general way about going things. If you want something more unique, it's a bit more complicated. This system works like the original one did in Yb. You type out what type of abilities you want, in a general description preferably, and a council of the 3 YB rule adjudicators (Kal, Rei I think, and me-with a backup of Rathan) have to approve it (usually with changes).

In either case, all players who want an artifact *must* roleplay for it (basically typing up a post on how they got their artifact, and its physical appearance). Players who roleplay especially well (as judged by one of the rule adjudicators) may gain an additional +1-3 points to play with.

I'll be sure to type something more coherent later, til then, tell me how it looks. (I hope that it makes some sense)

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
Sollir Furryfoot said:
The minimum level to get an artifact is at Tier 3 (requiring an expenditure of yen), unless you happen to be a sash-although you can still get a 2nd artifact at Tier 3.
So, one artifact per character (unless you're an aristocrat), like normal items in the current rules.

Sollir Furryfoot said:
a great sacrifice (3 LP, a Tier 3 active/Tier 4 passive, etc...) nets you 4,
That's what tier 3 arists get, I assume (4 points without sacrifice)?

Overall, that sounds good. :)

Knight Otu, you can have more than one artifact per character, theoretically-you can just carry only one artifact in per battle (unless you're an aristocrat). Again, I'm not sure about the sacrifice thing, I might space it out a bit more so they get a moderate sacrifice at Tier 3 and a greater one at Tier 5. You can quite possibly lose your artifact if you choose to use it in battle (I want to make it a bit harder to lose however), except for an aristocrat artifact-which can't be stolen (although you lose it if you change classes).

Sadly, I won't be able to get much work done til this weekend, and only minimal amounts then at best with my finals coming up along with some music competitions. I think we're about ready to get started with playtesting, and potentially starting. Any more comments on the first post's rules by chance?

I think a bit of playtesting is now in order. Would everyone interested in helping please create 1-4 characters of Tiers 1-2 of any path except for Aristocrat (which will be unavailable until artifact rules are totally fleshed out). I'll create a thread later today to post these characters in.

Knight Otu

First Post
Are we supposed to start playtest fights already?

Oh, and a few questions regarding artifacts:
  • I assume, when a fighter drops a tier, thus losing points, would also have to weaken an artifact?
  • I an artifact has been strengthened by a sacrifice, can that sacrifice be bought back when the fighter rises enough tiers to gain those points?
  • When an artifact somehow changes owners, does the new owner have to pay for the artifact powers to make them permanent, as in the current item rules?

Sorry for not responding for a while-the rest of this week+monday contain my final exams, and I've just had alot of piano competitions up until now.

I sort of goofed with the original plan, the list of what powers are worth (the actual list-which is really just a guideline) will be hidden from the players, except for a council of 3 (kal, me, and some one else, as I said, perhaps rei if he agrees and has the time), although a more vague set of guidelines will be set out.

The actual sacrifice mechanic Kal and I are disagreeing upon, although currently, I have free creative reign from Kal as he's even busier than me ;) Basically, the way I want sacrifices is to work is that they take effect whenever you actually carry the item into battle, whereas Kal wants it to be permanent from the fighter who created it, who takes the sacrifice hit even if the artifact is transferred to some one else.

As for actually buying off the sacrifice with time, I'm inclined against it, as it kindof ruins the angle of what I picture a sacrifice to be in my mind. I'm not sure about auto-upgrading however, maybe it would cost a minor yen fee to bring it up to your tier (and I'm not sure on how it would work if you lost a tier-I'm inclined to say it'd have a 1 tier worth of "buffer" to retain its power)

And the answer to your last question, no. Artifacts will be a unique force unto their own. I'm still not sure if it should be so easy to take them away, however-that concept jives me a bit (Kal is in opposition here, again). I'm considering going his path, although setting a healthy limiter-such as you can carry more than 1 artifact, and even though you can only use one in a battle, for every additional artifact you have you are unable to use an item slot (you normally have 2 for carrying items from the shop and the like, givign you a maximum of 3 artifacts carried). Sashes of course would be an exception to the rule, where they could hold 2 artifacts before being penalized-this would basically discourage people from 'hoarding' artifacts to themselves.

Rathan

First Post
well...as I see it..I kinda agree with you Sollir.... if you have to give up powers and the like to power your item just to loose it because you used it... (and why wouldn't you use it if you lost powers to get it..) then I think they should not be able to be taken away..... I mean if you guyd want us to make this whole huge deal of RP'ing to show how you got the artifact it's pretty pointless to have it snachted away after all the work to get it..... and that would also solve the whole if someone wins an artifact how do that activate it problem as well.. as for the if you loose a tier... I belive the the right thing to do is lose either the most powerfull power on the artifact untill the tier is gained back.. or the most recent added power.... both I feel would work about as well as the other...

Last edited:

Remove ads